How does Word of Recall work in AL?

Volund

Explorer
1) If I cast Word of Recall during an adventure, does it matter whether I as a player can name an in-game location dedicated to my deity?
I am a cleric of a non-human deity that only appears in a list in SCAG (my +1 source) but not elsewhere in the text and I've never encountered a specific location "dedicated or strongly linked to your deity" while playing in AL games. Is it enough to say, "It's in SCAG so there has to be at least one place connected to it, so that's where I went to cast WoR in the first place"?

2) If it matters where I first cast WoR, can I make a location dedicated to my deity?
I have property from a story reward, but there isn't anything on it. I want to build a small cottage with a shrine to my deity, hallow it, and cast WoR so that it becomes my recall point, but there aren't any specific AL rules for building it. The AL guide for players says something like "you can engage in the DT activities listed on p 187 of the PHB", which doesn't included building strongholds, although it does say "activities other than the ones listed below are possible." There are some rules for building larger structures in the DMG (a temple costs twice as much as a noble estate and manor - so not what I had in mind), but not a basic dwelling. At my next AL game can I just tell the DM that I spent X gold and Y downtime to build it and have them bless that as AL legal if they agree it's reasonable?

3) Do you think it's bad form to use WoR to bug out of a potential TPK, leaving other characters behind, instead of going down with the ship? I was playing in a Tier 3 adventure with one player that I had good history with (in-game and out) and some others I didn't know at all. In the final battle, two characters were down, one was plane shifted out altogether, and the only other character, our glass canon, was hiding and invisible and not doing much (the player started falling asleep between turns). I was sandwiched in a 10' wide hallway between two large monsters, not to mention the 4 other enemies still running amok, so with monsters blocking my way on either side it was physically impossible for any other characters to be within 5 ft of me for my WoR. Ultimately I decided to stay after everyone protested. I got the casters back up to single digit hp, I cast Heal instead, we killed the enemy caster, the glass canon woke up and succeeded at triggering the McGuffin, and the DM hand-waved the remaining 400-500 hp worth of monsters, avoiding a likely TPK. Would I have been wrong to leave via WoR?

CapnZapp

Legend
You will simply have to learn to ignore the opinions of others.

Teleporting away to safety is not "wrong" in the sense you're breaking the game rules, but it might well sit wrongly with the players at your table.

No matter of online discussion will change this. Trying to garner support with which you can defend your actions does not change this either.

In the end, you will have to make a choice. Protect your character and try to ignore the scorn of others, or go down with the ship.

There is no right or wrong in that choice.

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

On your original question, as far as I know, the spell works exactly the same in AL play as it does in any other play. If your character cannot fulfill the requirements of the spell, it will not succeed.

Plus, why has your character not built in his house a shrine dedicated to his deity? It would be pointless to take that spell if the character does not have a place already known that can be used on gaining access to the spell. Your character is a cleric of this deity, so you can make your own sanctuary space for the spell to be connected to.

jasper

Rotten DM
1. Since AL is not big on background info, I would placed your character at the starting city of the adventure aka generic temple. Or
3. Running away is a valid tactic.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases