N.E.W. Starship Murphy Gorrat, TikTok, Holmes Attributes Don't Add Up

Juan Sierra

First Post
Edit: Copied my table wrong when posting, Calculated attributes match my sheet but still don't match the rulebook.

Hello,

I was trying to write a PC-character generator, you can see the working example here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1CGb8jC3bjEUpT7hjZ7gFxKkmdF62rTV_d3Hvwq3I8qA/edit?usp=sharing , and when testing it, I noticed that some of the example characters attributes from the Starship Murphy section of the N.E.W. rulebook don't add up.

For example, take Gorrat. Gorrat is an ogron (STR+2, END+2), with the careers (orphan, street thug, academy, marine tour, marine tour).

From the careers section:

orphan: AGI+1, INT+1, CHA+1, LUC+1
street thug: STR+1, END+1, CHA+1, LUC+1
academy: AGI+1, LOG+1, CHA+1, LUC+1
marine: STR+1, END+1, WIL+1, REP+1

So the attributes as calculated are:
STR: 3 + 2 + 3 = 8
AGI: 3 + 2 = 5
END: 3 + 2 + 3 = 8
INT: 3 + 1 = 4
LOG: 3 + 1 = 4
WIL: 3 + 3 = 6
CHA: 3 + 3 = 6
LUC: 3 + 2 = 5
REP: 0 + 2 = 2
PSI: 0 = 0

Checking this math, there's 20 career points, plus 4 from race, plus 24 starting points. That seems right based on the checklist.

But Gorrat's attributes are almost all one off! Here's the book stats vs my stats
STR: 9 vs 8
AGI: 6 vs 5
END: 9 vs 8
INT: 5 vs 4
LOG: 5 vs 4
WIL: 7 vs 6
CHA: 7 vs 6
LUC: 6 vs 5
REP: 2 (this one matches).
PSI: 0

Even assuming Gorrat traded some attribute points for racial points, this doesn't add up. In fact, adding up the attribute points, I have 56 points total. Minus 4 from racial, and 24 starting points, this is 28 points! That's TWO whole careers' worth of points extra, making Gorrat a Grade 7 character, not a Grade 5!

In fact, I think what happened was Gorrat started off with all attributes at a base of 4, except PSI and REP. This would yield the 1 point difference in all the stats that I'm seeing. I don't see any rules that say that Ogron or large characters start off with all attributes at 4. Other than this error, or adding two more careers that just happen to give one to all stats, I don't see how Gorrat can possibly have so many attribute points.

Even worse, look at Dr TikTok. I won't go through the math, but he ends up underpowered compared to where he should be!
STR: 5 (match)
AGI: 5 (match)
END: 3 vs 4
INT: 5 (match)
LOG: 9 vs 10
WIL: 5 vs 6
CHA: 5 vs 7
LUC: 0 vs 0 (android)
REP: 4 vs 3
PSI: 0

Since he can't have a LUC pool (I think this was errata'd, but let's ignore that bit for now), he has 1 attribute point he can move from LUC to STR or LOG. But as you can see, he's ~5 points below where he should be (assuming 1xLUC -> 1xSomething).

Similarly, I have no idea how Holmes only has 17 instead of 19 career attribute points (Talent only grants 3 points, for some reason...), he somehow just threw away 2 points to the luminiferous aether.

What am I missing?! Especially for the Ogron... how did we end up one off on all attribute points?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Offhand, I hadn't noticed that (good catch - thanks!) -- but I'll do an "audit" on them before the next errated version of the book comes out. It could be that they used values from an older document and didn't get updated. I always wanted to beef up TikTok anyway, as he's a pretty weak character.

I love the look of that spreadsheet! Is it something people can use, or would that mess it up?

Juan Sierra

First Post
Okay! I'm glad it wasn't just a massive misunderstanding of the rules on my part!

The spreadsheet is currently view+comment only, but anyone can make a copy and edit the values and play around with it. It's not 100% there, but it's pretty close. I mostly need to add a way to lock values when they shouldn't be incremented, like STR for old characters. I was going to make a separate post once it was complete.

Remove ads