WOIN AP Rounds in NEW

daniiren

Explorer
I agree on your first point. AP rounds are too cheap for how effective they are against heavy armor.

You are correct on your second point, which is why I also tested halving SOAK rather than ignoring 10.

I also think the elephant in the room is energy weapons. Someone raised this point a few threads ago. With easy access to cheap AP and HP rounds, there's literally no mechanical reason to take a burner over a bludger.

raspberryfh

First Post
I agree on your first point. AP rounds are too cheap for how effective they are against heavy armor.

You are correct on your second point, which is why I also tested halving SOAK rather than ignoring 10.

I also think the elephant in the room is energy weapons. Someone raised this point a few threads ago. With easy access to cheap AP and HP rounds, there's literally no mechanical reason to take a burner over a bludger.

Halving SOAK isn't a bad idea, but it creates odd situations where an AP round doesn't quite ignore the SOAK of really flimsy armor or ignores 20+ SOAK when someone decides to shoot the mobile battlestation. It still leaves the possibility of being too good at times while simultaneously breaking the illusion of disbelief. Also, halving SOAK instead of subtracting X from it seems even fiddlier during a session.

The someone who brought up laser vs. ballistic weapons was also me :p

One of my players and I created a larger variety of weapons to make more of a choice. Also, I gave lasers access to the pinning bonus as long as LOS is maintained. In other words, even if the target moves or isn't in cover, as long as you attack them in consecutive turns without breaking LOS or attacking another target in the meantime, you'll get +1d6 to attack. So far, that has seemed to work well, and my players have been successful with both ballistic and heat-based weaponry.

Another solution would be to increase the amount of armor options, such that some armor is much more resistant to ballistic or is weak to heat. That sorta thing.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I wouldn't worry about the cost of the rounds. That's changed in v1.2 anyway, in favour of a more abstract system.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Any details on that? :)

It's in one of the EONS articles, but basically rather than tracking them individually, you have a countdown pool to see when you run out, and you can spend credits on more dice in that pool (each dice costing more than the last). You roll it at the end of each combat. It abstracts buying, using, wasting, losing, etc. ammo.

You can still do it the old way (more expensive than currently though) too. But the abstract way I find is much more fun, and tends to be tracked more accurately by players.

raspberryfh

First Post
It's in one of the EONS articles, but basically rather than tracking them individually, you have a countdown pool to see when you run out, and you can spend credits on more dice in that pool (each dice costing more than the last). You roll it at the end of each combat. It abstracts buying, using, wasting, losing, etc. ammo.

You can still do it the old way (more expensive than currently though) too. But the abstract way I find is much more fun, and tends to be tracked more accurately by players.

I'm an EONS supporter, but I don't remember seeing this. Is it already posted or to-be-released?

raspberryfh

First Post
Quite a while back. Offhand I can’t recall which article it was in, though!

Found it. Game modes. Interesting concept. Maybe make specialty ammo cost increased by some multiplier (either 2 or 5).

I worry that it breaks down with HQ or single-shot weapons though. Bullets shouldn't necessarily be more expensive just because the gun is better engineered. And someone firing a high-powered sniper rifle isn't going to run through their ammo in uncertain bursts. How would you recommend addressing those cases?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Found it. Game modes. Interesting concept. Maybe make specialty ammo cost increased by some multiplier (either 2 or 5).

I worry that it breaks down with HQ or single-shot weapons though. Bullets shouldn't necessarily be more expensive just because the gun is better engineered. And someone firing a high-powered sniper rifle isn't going to run through their ammo in uncertain bursts. How would you recommend addressing those cases?

Honestly, I’d recommend just not worrying about it. Unless tracking ammo is actually pleasurable for you, handwaving it with an abstract system is fine. If you want to make exceptions for single shot weapons, I guess that’s fine - I don’t think I would bother myself.

raspberryfh

First Post
Honestly, I’d recommend just not worrying about it. Unless tracking ammo is actually pleasurable for you, handwaving it with an abstract system is fine. If you want to make exceptions for single shot weapons, I guess that’s fine - I don’t think I would bother myself.

I have no interest in tracking ammunition, but I'm pretty sure one of my players would be upset that I made his sniper rifle "so much more expensive" lol...

Remove ads