D&D 5E How do you (would you) play a Vampire? Also, how to handle PC vampirisation?

Voi_D_ragon

Explorer
So, the first part of the question is self explanatory. Please share any good stories you have on Vampire villains in your campaign, what worked and what didn't work for you, and what Vampire lore (if any) you added/transformed into rules that aren't present in the MM.

Also, are there any sources that explain how a vampire should act day-to-day (as in, managing their life and domain if any, and preparing themselves for any enemies that might come their way)? I assume CoS would have more depth on how handle Strahd himself, is the book worth getting (I personally dislike the idea of published adventures, but I could be made to change my mind I guess)

For the second part, bear with my introduction if you will. If you will not, skip to the asterisks :)

Ok, so to avoid going crazy after moving out to go to university, I bought a few books. One of them, me needing to freshen up on horror lore and classics, is good old Dracula (which I've already read, but years ago, so I only remember the general gist of the story). I haven't re-finished it yet, but already it's given me some ideas to enrich the roleplaying aspects of Vampires, while also giving me a new vision of how the powers could work or be described. But what really got to want to make this post is, as I was reading of Dracula, I thought "hey, what if I saw that movie about Dracula's origins that came out a few years ago?" And so I went and watched me Dracula Untold.
And, while I understand how many people may not like it, I enjoyed it (because I manage to enjoy movies with lots of cheap action and little character depth). Ok, it's not thaaaat bad, but that's not the point.

The point is, I like the idea of characters taking power from evil creatures to serve their purposes (you know, the road to hell is paved with good intentions and all that).

And the idea of a "trial period" in which you can experience a limited amount of your full power seems really nice, with the drawback being that you must resist the an urge to follow new instincts that come with your powers because they may go against what your character believes in and, if you give in, you will be forever (or until you find a way out) beholden to the will of an ancient and powerful being.
This gives the PCs the option to find out if they like the powers mechanically and also to find how it necessarily affects the way they roleplay, seeing as Vampire powers (in particular, but any good set of powers really IMO) come with drawbacks, that need to be planned around and have an impact on a character's behavior (in a vampire's case, being careful to avoid random patches of sunlight whenever they walk, for example).
So, I suppose I'm asking (goodness, I need to really clear up my mind before I post threads):
-What kind of powers deriving from ancient/powerful creatures (sources of magic, gods, etc)[this could be represented by just being an opportunity to multiclass, ok, but in this case we talk of adding outside of class features, not adding different class features] are you willing to give to your characters?
-How would you maintain party balance in the face of one or more characters acquiring these powers while others do not?
-What are the drawbacks, if any, that these powers force the players to cope with?
-Do the rules in the MM for vampire PCs and werewolf PCs (I believe there are rules for lycanthropy, correct me if I'm wrong) seem too strong/too weak/not lore-y enough?

Alright, that's a ton of questions, I'll leave it at that (for now).

Last edited:

Quickleaf

Legend
This question came up recently in my PbP Al-Qadim game, though was averted due to the party cleric resisting a tempting offer to be gifted with immortality by an "enlightened" vampire.

When it comes to monsters (and especially lore-heavy monsters like vampires), I treat the books as a starting point only and build from there. Some sort of a White Wolf-esuqe "vampirism condition track" would make sense for what you have in mind...you could borrow some of the mechanics from 4e's disease track as inspiration, just making advancing along the track more narrative/quest/moral dilemma/choice based.

The big question when RPing with vampires is what leads this vampiric character to justify feeding on others to survive? (i.e. become evil-aligned) Answer that and you crack a lot of the story, and open up all kinds of interesting mechanics. I see that as a gradual progression. Either you need to work with the player of the vampire PC or be such a cunning rat bastard DM that you manipulate them into "damned if you do , damned if you don't choices."

Balfore

Explorer
I'm toying with the idea of a Glamour Bard with 3 levels of Sorcerer.
As a thematic controller

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
I have a lot of opinions on this, which I incorporated into my vampire class: http://www.enworld.org/forum/rpgdownloads.php?do=download&downloadid=1282

• My vampires start out very weak, with just some extra necrotic damage and mild regeneration; weird creepy powers take a few levels to get. That may be the opposite of what you want, but it's a lot easier to balance. Most of the powers are based on spells, so that spell level can be a guideline for when to make those powers available.
  • Flexibility in power choice lets players decide what sort of vampire fiction they want to emulate. For example, vampires in mythology are often pyrokinetic; so is Dracula in Castlevania. Others are depicted as savage and bestial (the line between vampire and werewolf is blurry). Even something iconic like animal form is wide open, because some vampires can turn into swarms of rats or snakes.
  • I dramatically toned down the vampire's weaknesses to make them playable. Sunlight still hurts a lot, but dark clothing protects. A lot of folklore weaknesses just get subsumed into a "you get inspiration if this causes problems" mechanic, which lets the player and DM decide how much of that stuff to worry about. One of the vampire's biggest weaknesses is that cure wounds doesn't work on them, and turning undead does work. Those are easier weaknesses to manage, while still mattering.
  • Vampires can deal minimum damage while biting, and only need to bite once per day, so a willing victim can supply the blood drain requirement. Also, vampires can drink the blood of animals. In folklore, the main problem with vampires is that they would sicken your cattle. I'm pretty sure this is mentioned in Dracula as well -- the title character isn't required to drink human blood, he just does it because he's a monster.
  • Balance-wise, the biggest problem of the vampire in the Monster Manual is Misty Escape. This ability makes them pretty much indestructible, as long as they can get out of sunlight. My class limits this ability to 1/short rest, but it's still super amazing. Weapon resistance is also quite potent, as is creating spawn, but I felt fine moving those things to 20th level capstones. The stat increases listed in the MM are also overpowered, but not at all necessary.
  • Likewise, the lycanthropes in the MM have outrageous stat increases, that you can mostly skip (give them a +2 Strength or something and call it a day). But the immunity to weapons is grossly overpowered. Like seriously, a single werewolf can take out a small army of orcs because those guys have no silver weapons! That's pretty cool as a challenge for the PCs to overcome, but it is much too strong for a PC, ever. Even resistance is very strong; it would be like a barbarian in permanent rage.
  • My biggest misgiving with this class is that it's a 20-level core class instead of a shorter "prestige" class, which hampers multi-classing. I like multi-classing and feel it can allow for interesting character concepts. But balancing all of the vampire's crap was just too difficult for me to fit into fewer than 20 levels.

Sources of inspiration: Curse of Strahd; Dracula (Stoker novel); Bram Stoker's Dracula (Coppola version); Castlevania franchise; The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion; The Enchanted World: Night Creatures (Time-Life Books); Let the Right One In (novel); Wikipedia.

Tony Vargas

Legend
How do you (would you) play a Vampire?
If I really wanted to, by signing up for a V:tM game at a convention. ;)

Also, how to handle PC vampirisation?
As I so often do when running 5e, I'd revert to tradition: Loss of the character. A Vampire Spawn has no free-will, and is under control of the master-vampire. Even if the master vampire is killed, the newly free-willed vampire is still an undead monster, not a playable character.

You get 'embraced?' Roll a new character.

The point is, I like the idea of characters taking power from evil creatures to serve their purposes (you know, the road to hell is paved with good intentions and all that).
Sure, the Warlock class goes there in a big way.

-What kind of powers deriving from ancient/powerful creatures (sources of magic, gods, etc)[this could be represented by just being an opportunity to multiclass, ok, but in this case we talk of adding outside of class features, not adding different class features] are you willing to give to your characters?

-How would you maintain party balance in the face of one or more characters acquiring these powers while others do not?
Same way you handle the same when the source of the 'imbalance' is class choice or magic items. Keep that spotlight moving, keep resolution behind the screen, and tailor reality to suit.
-What are the drawbacks, if any, that these powers force the players to cope with?
I think the question is why remove the most obvious drawback: loss of the character? Maybe, as in V:tM, pose it more as a struggle to maintain the character's 'humanity' (and thus playable PC status)?

Slit518

Adventurer
One way to treat a PC vampire would be to do a few things. You could treat ASI as character based at that point, instead of class based (except class and racial bonus ASI). Upon reaching levels 4, 8, 12, 16, and 19 the player can choose to either choose the normal ASI (stat upgrades or feats), or vampire specific ASI which will strengthen their vampire. It will give the vampire either stronger abilities or newer vampire abilities, and eliminate a weakness.

Upon gaining vampirism the vampire could get a slew of weaknesses, running water, garlic, mirrors, sunlight, etc...
And some strengths, +1 to 2 stats, natural claw and bite attack, regeneration when feeding, etc...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases