D&D 5E Staff of Illumination 5e

Staff of Illumination:

Staff, rare (requires attunement by a sorcerer, warlock, or wizard)
This staff can be wielded as a magic quarterstaff that grants a +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls made with it. While holding it, the mage gets advantage versus Darkness spells to dispel them.
The staff contains 10 charges for the following powers: (the staff regains 1d6+2 charges daily at dawn.)
Power Strike: When the wielder hits with a melee attack using this staff, he can expend 1 charge to deal and extra 1d6 radiant damage to the target (increases to 2d6 versus Undead, Shadow creatures, or Drow.)
Spells: While holding this staff, the mage can expend 1 or more charges to cast the following spells from it, using the mage’s DC and spell attack bonuses (if a spell is currently beyond the mage’s level, he cannot cast that spell yet): Light (0 Charges, at will, Crystal atop staff only); Dancing Lights (1 Charge); Daylight (3 Charges); Sunburst (4 Charges)
This staff was designed specifically to be wielded by a 1st Level Character (a noble mage’s father or if a commoner, his master gave it to him) so that the character can “grow into it.” The mage does not have access to its higher powers until he is of a level where he can cast the spell himself; thus, a 1st or 2nd Level mage can use it as a melee weapon, or cast Light or Dancing Lights from it, but not Daylight or Sunburst. Since mages are physically weak and rarely go hand-to-hand, I felt it necessary to allow access to a 1d6 Power Strike even at 1st Level

Please ask Wizards of the Coast to publish this item in an upcoming adventure book!

THANK YOU!!!

neogod22

Explorer
Why would it do extra damage to Drow? Why put a limitation on what level you can use its powers? If it's a rare item, it shouldn't be found until tier 2, at which point it's weak. Most casters do not want to be in melee combat, so it's not going to appeal to them.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

neogod22

Explorer
Why would it do extra damage to Drow? Why put a limitation on what level you can use its powers? If it's a rare item, it shouldn't be found until tier 2, at which point it's weak. Most casters do not want to be in melee combat, so it's not going to appeal to them.

Also, I don't understand the reason for advantage on dispelling darkness. It takes a higher level light spell to dispel a darkness spell.

It does more damage to drow or shadow creatures, because it's logical to do so: they are at disadvantage when suddenly exposed to bright light like the Sun. It's rare, because while it does have one offensive function, the other three are relatively minor. The limitation was ALWAYS on this particular item, since when it was created and published in 3.5 edition. That's okay, because then a low-level wizard can be given a magic weapon that will grow with him as he gains levels. You're right in that wizards detest melee combat, but you obviously have never run a wizard with any of the DMs that I've played with! On a few occasions, the orcs get close enough to actually hit you, and you want SOMETHING to fend them off with! If all you have is a dagger, even a +1 dagger, you're either a) defending yourself against a sword with what amounts to a kitchen knife, or b) you throw it, in which case you've just disarmed yourself! Not a good situation to be in if your spells are running low and the monster is 5 feet away from you!

neogod22

Explorer
It does more damage to drow or shadow creatures, because it's logical to do so: they are at disadvantage when suddenly exposed to bright light like the Sun. It's rare, because while it does have one offensive function, the other three are relatively minor. The limitation was ALWAYS on this particular item, since when it was created and published in 3.5 edition. That's okay, because then a low-level wizard can be given a magic weapon that will grow with him as he gains levels. You're right in that wizards detest melee combat, but you obviously have never run a wizard with any of the DMs that I've played with! On a few occasions, the orcs get close enough to actually hit you, and you want SOMETHING to fend them off with! If all you have is a dagger, even a +1 dagger, you're either a) defending yourself against a sword with what amounts to a kitchen knife, or b) you throw it, in which case you've just disarmed yourself! Not a good situation to be in if your spells are running low and the monster is 5 feet away from you!
No drow do not have disadvantage in bright light. They only have disadvantage in sunlight. They shouldn't take extra radiant damage because, they are not vulnerable to it like some undead are. The only weapons that should do extra damage to drow, are weapons that do extra damage to elves in general.

neogod22

Explorer
The problem I see with this staff is that the charges don't match the level of spell, and you know what spell I'm talking about, Sunburst. That's an 8th level spell, so at minimum it should cost 8 charges. 2nd, you said that it's supposed to go to a 1st level character? Let me guess yours? As a DM, I would be reluctant to give any magic items to starting characters, especially items that allow them to cast 8th level spells twice a day. Just by that spell alone would change the rarity to legendary.

Remove ads