D&D 5E Im looking for some material about creature's parts

Leo_ASF

First Post
So a player of my ( a "videogamesonly" kind of guy) its looking for a book in waterdeep that contains information about monster part's of use ( he is probably expecting something kind of like monster hunter, to make op armor and weapons every time he kills something which I don't want to allow at least not as easy) so instead of me just telling him you can hack this guy's eyes to make a laser beam's staff I want to actually have him a book or at least a few pages of something that contains role-playing lore like a volo's guide fun to read and useful so is there any published material (Dm's guild or another) that contains something similar?

Sent from my D6603 using EN World mobile app

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
You may have to make it up.
One chapter of Hoard of the Dragon Queen has a villain trying to hatch dragon eggs. What if the PCs do not just smash the eggs? Perhaps they could take the contents and turn them into spell components - one-time-only item(s) that allow you a little more 'oomph' to your spell, such as
- Spell does max damage on die rolls
- Damage becomes Acid (because the eggs were for black dragons) instead of book-listed damage type
- An organ can be used as the focus of a ritual instead of the book-listed expensive item
- Upcast the spell by 1 (or 2?) spell level
- Extra range on spell
- Target auto-fails its save to escape the effect of the spell
- "Reverse Evasion" - target takes full damage if it fails its save or half damage if it succeeds, even if a successful save would normally mean no damage

Look in this site for the thread Enhancing Hoard of the Dragon Queen, more ideas were offered there.

Alexemplar

First Post
I don't know of any such lists, however...

The DMG provides a guide for crafting magical items and notes that if the item is capable of reproducing the effects of a spell, that the creator must be able to cast the spell. You could houserule it so that instead of being able to cast the spell, a crafter could use the appropriate monster parts. So if you wanted to craft a staff/wand that could cast magic missile, you could say that instead of being a Wizard/Sorcerer that knows the spell, you could use something like a Flameskull's skull, a Night Hag Eye, some part of an Arcanoloth, etc. I'd base the spells that the item could replicate on the abilities of the creature when it was alive.

Making the item would still cost time and GP and you wouldn't really be making anything more powerful than what any spellcaster could make and the overwhelming majority of classes/subclasses in D&D can already cast spells of some kind. Maybe require a feat or something if you really want to limit it in addition to the fact that you may not necessarily meet the monster with the parts you need and the monster parts you have may not be able to make the specific item you want.

Also, I don't consider it very "videogamey". While Monster Hunter is certainly one of many games that makes prominent use of the idea, D&D has had instances of "this monster's bodyparts can be used to make cool magical stuff" since forever.

Leo_ASF

First Post
I don't know of any such lists, however...

The DMG provides a guide for crafting magical items and notes that if the item is capable of reproducing the effects of a spell, that the creator must be able to cast the spell. You could houserule it so that instead of being able to cast the spell, a crafter could use the appropriate monster parts. So if you wanted to craft a staff/wand that could cast magic missile, you could say that instead of being a Wizard/Sorcerer that knows the spell, you could use something like a Flameskull's skull, a Night Hag Eye, some part of an Arcanoloth, etc. I'd base the spells that the item could replicate on the abilities of the creature when it was alive.

Making the item would still cost time and GP and you wouldn't really be making anything more powerful than what any spellcaster could make and the overwhelming majority of classes/subclasses in D&D can already cast spells of some kind. Maybe require a feat or something if you really want to limit it in addition to the fact that you may not necessarily meet the monster with the parts you need and the monster parts you have may not be able to make the specific item you want.

Also, I don't consider it very "videogamey". While Monster Hunter is certainly one of many games that makes prominent use of the idea, D&D has had instances of "this monster's bodyparts can be used to make cool magical stuff" since forever.
Making use of monsters parts it's not videogamy the player in question doesn't really have much experience playing anything that doesn't require electricity so doesn't really roleplay Im trying to give him what he wants but also allow him to to read some of the lore stuff for role-playing purposes
So a player of my ( a "videogamesonly" kind of guy) its looking for a book in waterdeep that contains information about monster part's of use ( he is probably expecting something kind of like monster hunter, to make op armor and weapons every time he kills something which I don't want to allow at least not as easy) so instead of me just telling him you can hack this guy's eyes to make a laser beam's staff I want to actually have him a book or at least a few pages of something that contains role-playing lore like a volo's guide fun to read and useful so is there any published material (Dm's guild or another) that contains something similar?

Remove ads