Classic Traveller - session report with reflections on the system [long]

pemerton

Legend
There's something very refreshing about building the universe outward from the characters, and what the skill lists say about the places they inhabit.
Agreed.

The acquired skills table in Book 1 (1st ed, p11) shows 24 possible improvements across 6 services, for 144 possible outcomes. Of those, 10 are gun combat. But 10 are blade combat, and 5 are brawling! Sixty per cent of our character's collective combat experiences are hand-to-hand. It seems to me this must have major implications for how the universe is envisaged.
Also agreed. In my mind, some of it is to do with concerns that gun fire on board ships risks exposing everyone to the vacuum of space. Some of it is to do with style - nobles like wearing foils, marines like wearing cutlasses. And some of it is to do with the legal culture (exemplified by the law level trait) which restricts guns much more severely than knives.

Admin (4) looks like a waste of a skill roll if you're just wanting to play murder hobos in space. But that - as well as Bribery and Forgery - says that red tape, offialdom and bureaucracy are an intrinsic part of the universe and game.
Certainly agreed on this, as per posts upthread.

Forward Observer is actually very rare (2), telling us that artillery and orbital strikes happen infrequently, but they are part of the gamespace.
I think a lot of the characters I made in my early period of Traveller exposure ended up with Forward Observer, which - at the time - seemed a strange skill for a character, and so has probably made it loom inordinately large in my memory.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases