Kingdoms of Kalamar

Sanackranib

First Post
I am going to be playing in a Kingdoms of Kalamar campaign, and having no famaliarity with the setting pose this question to those of you who do: how is it different from standard D&D?

I am going to be playing a bard(3.5) and plan to take 2 levels of fighter working towards the Duelist PrC.
any ideas?

Particle_Man

Explorer
Crunchy differences:

A few extra class choices (If you wanted to try a Basiran Dancer rather than a bard, or a Spell-singer (sort of a sorceror, but can cast spells in armour), you could ask your DM about those choices.

More feat choices (and the skill choice Pantomine). More Knowledge choices on the military side.

Slightly different subraces. More spells.

The world itself (unless the DM wants to ramp it up) tends to be low-magic. So after adventuring for a while, you won't find too many player character race types that match your level (there will be a few, but they won't be thick on the ground).

Roleplaying-wise, the cultures are detailed and interlocking. There is a mighty emperor, and he is seeking to expand his domain rather aggressively. Also, the gods take a VERY active hand in human affairs through their churches. Also, many countries practice slavery.

That's my top-of-the-head stuff. Hope it helps.

Sanackranib

First Post
Sanackranib said:
I am going to be playing in a Kingdoms of Kalamar campaign, and having no famaliarity with the setting pose this question to those of you who do: how is it different from standard D&D?

I am going to be playing a bard(3.5) and plan to take 2 levels of fighter working towards the Duelist PrC.
any ideas?

Yea Gods I did say I was gonna PLAY!!!!!:mad: :p :D I was sure I mentioned THAT bit!

I'm just a player but I did cast my vote for the SL. which brings us to Nightfall's closet affection for Kalamar! or was it that I started the thread that drew you in . . . .

kenjib

First Post
I think could potentially be a great setting for bards, depending on how your DM runs it, since there is a lot of emphasis on politics in the setting book, and that is where the bard class really shines.

Outlaw

First Post
Sanackranib said:

any ideas?

All that depends on your DM. Although it's generally assumed that Kalamar is a low magic setting, it's simply designed that way to allow the DM to add the level of magic he prefers. A lot of how Kalamar is run is going to be based on his/her preferences.

The setting is highly detailed with lots of races, culture, politics and languages. Playing a bard will definitely help on that last part. The setting lends itself to bards ever-expanding language list and multitude of skills for role playing, knowledge, traveling and social interaction.

Of course, with books like Dangerous Denizens, the Hobgoblin and Orc books and others coming out, Kalamar can still offer a lot of grand, high fantasy adventures that allow you to risk your life and earn fame and fortune in the process.

Dristram

First Post
Sanackranib said:

Well, it plays no differently than standard D&D. It's a core setting that goes through a pre-approval process by WotC. The setting does have a higher emphasis on inter-racial relations and inter-nation relations. So the characters don't only have to worry about finding their next adventure, but also watch their step when traveling to and through other lands. Humans are not generic. There are 5 human sub-races with their own languages and culture. And as such, humans are not viewed as all the same by the other non-human races. Racial conflicts are more politically driven than racially. In the world, who has the most political swing is more powerful than who has the most magic power. It has a real-world feel to me in that respect. Just with high-fantasy surrounding it.

any ideas?
Bards are no problem. The setting is actually a great place for them because of the political situations that are all around. But, in the end, it all boils down to how your DM plays KoK. If he plays up the political intrigue, then your bard will shine! But if he just runs hack-n-slash dungeon crawling style adventures, it will be just as useful as in any setting or campaign.

Last edited:

Remove ads