I would like to buy a MEGA-adventure

d12

First Post
So I loved Monte Cook's Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil. Ten levels of adventure all mapped out for little ole me. As DM, I only did as much as a I wanted. Are there any other mods out there like this one? I'm looking for big - really big. 8 levels of play minimum.

MikeWilliams

First Post
Take a look at City of the Spider Queen. It does alot of things quite right. I'm particularly fond of the time spent on the reactions that the denizens of the Underdark will have to the incursions by the PCs.

smetzger

Explorer
Green Ronin will be coming out with a large adventure for Freeport. I think it covers lvl 6-12. Not sure about the upper level but I am pretty sure about the lower level.

This adventure is supposed to take place after the original 3 freeport adventures and it starts at about the level where you would be if you ran the 3 adventures (which are tie together very tightly, more like one adventure separated into 3 products).

You could probably run the Freeport trilogy and then by the time you are done the larger adventure will be ready.

*:> Scott

gfunk

First Post
If you would like to run an Egyptian-themed adventure, then "Necropolis" by Gary Gygax is quite good. I thumbed through it at GenCon and was wishing I had the time and players to run it. Levels 10-18

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Necropolis is definitely a mega-adventure.

Course, if ya wait a few more weeks, ya can snag "The Lost City of Barakus" from Necromancer Games as well.

Ghostwind

First Post
There are several mega-adventures out there with some requiring a little more DM work than others.

*Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil which you are already aware of
*The Banewarrens from Malhavoc and Monte Cook
*Necropolis from Necromancer Games and Gygax
*Rappan Athuk (all 3 mods combined) makes a deadly mega-adventure from Necromancer Games
*City of the Spider Queen from Wizards of the Coast is hard on players
*As already mentioned, Green Ronin is coming out with a Freeport mega called (I believe) Black Sails.

If you are willing to do a little work, the two Bluffside products and linking Interludes products have the makings of a mega-adventure also...

Bregh

Explorer
Necropolis is a grand module, with setting and background detail in an Egyptian theme delivered by the incomparable EGG.

The three little (and inexpensive) volumes that contain Rappan Athuk offer a fifteen level dungeon that should provide no shortage of challenge and fun. The maps in the first two books are a little rough, but Necro Games has some free downloads on their site that present them with a bit more polish. (The rougher maps never bothered me a bit, tho).

Those would be my picks for straight d20 style mega-adventures.

Verdigris

First Post
I almost ran "Necropolis" but decided against it for this reason:

Although it is big and has a cool alt.ranger and some neat monsters, it also had various nonsensical traps and such that operated something like this:

"If your PCs touch the doorknob on the left and say the magic word, they make it through to the other side. If they touch the doorknob on the right, they are instantly transported to the 666th plane of the Abyss where they die instantly. No save."

-- or --

"If your PCs stand on their head and say a magic word [which has nowhere been revealed] they avoid dropping two levels from a magical ray that automatically hits. No save."

I am making these examples up, but I am hardly exaggerating. Its a wierd adventure in that it contains many elements that appear designed to reinforce the supremacy of the DM at the expense of player ingenuity. I think Gygax wrote it a while ago because it strikes me as being a bit immature. Of course, maybe I just like adventures where a smart group of PCs can reason their way out of tight spots. Without actually having played Necropolis, it just didn't seem like that type of adventure.

So go for the Banewarrens or one of Monte Cook's masterpieces. I really liked "The Heart of Nightfang Spire" for a dungeon crawl.

Numion

First Post
I've played Banewarrens, and it is one of the better adventures of all time, IMO. It's a balanced mix of city investigation and dungeon crawling. Perfect mix for our group, since part wants to roleplay in a city environment, and part prefer crawling.

Great piece, and not as tedious / repetitive as RttToEE.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases