D&D 5E The Fighter Extra Feat Fallacy

Imaro

Legend
I know this thread is moving fast, but no, I did not make the simple, absolute claim of universal thruth that Imaro chose to respond to. I don't much care for RAW arguments, myself, afterall, so the RAW observation was rhetorical - and, yeah, it could've used another 'generally' weasel in there to avoid being trivially 'disproven' by a single counter-example (or the vague allusion to the possibility of one that Imaro uncovered). You could get into a RAW argument about whether AS could even be 'legally' used out of combat, but it's moot in the context of 5e (at least, 5e 'run right,' IMHO - that is, in full-on DM-Empowerment mode), so the real issue is how Action Surge stacks up to other non-combat-applicable features (and, as Hussar illustrated, that's not very well).

Wow... if only you'd been clearer about your "real" point... as opposed to writing nearly a paragraph of rhetorical stuff and not mentioning a comparison in utility anywhere amidst all those words... I also apologize I totally misread that.

LapBandit

First Post
In a game with full casters (specifically wizards and clerics) and adventures that go to 15th level, there's really not much you can give to a martial character that would ever let them contribute as much to ANY pillar of the game more than the full caster. I've DMed a lot of 5E now, and a lot of it at high level. I don't have to worry about anyone who is a 1/3 caster or below when planning, their ability to change the game is largely limited to a few skills and attacks. In this game, magic is power, that's it. Giving the fighter a bit more of anything non-magical will have almost zero effect on the game in anything non-trivial.

hawkeyefan

Legend
Higher STR? maybe ... unless it's a DEX-based fighter so it can hold a candle to the Ranger & Rogue when sneaking about...

Sure...but this is why I said "most likely". Chances are that Rangers are very likely and Rogues almost certainly built around DEX. Fighters are more likely to be built around STR. So, most likely but not always, a Fighter will be stronger.

There are always exceptions. If we're going to speak about how a Fighter can contribute outside of combat then we should probably discuss choices that the player makes that allow him to do so, and not choices he makes that don't allow it. Anyone can build a character of any class who is not good at anything.

They're checks to which proficiency applies, so if Remarkable Athlete does kick in, the Champion will be inferior to anyone with comparable STR who actually is proficient - let alone anyone with Expertise or magic, as well. (But there's an obvious/easy 'fix' for that...)

Sorry, I wasn't clearer....I meant the Jumping Distance aspect of Remarkable Athlete more so than the boost for non-proficient skills. The non-proficiency boost is helpful, but not as meaningful as Expertise, I agree.

Additional jumping distance is a good boost, though. I suppose it matters how much that comes up in games....but I think jumping would be a pretty common check. YMMV.

Those were skills in 3e, they all fall under Athletics, now, AFAIK, so one hit of Expertise, and the fighter's in the dust. And, really, are those the essential exploration skills? What about perception, investigation, stealth, survival? What about picking locks and disarming traps? What about knowledge of nature, dungeons, other planes, and the various dangers you might encounter?

Besides, is getting by without a rope or a raft really all that big a deal?

Yes, all those skills all fall under the Athletics umbrella, that is my point. Chances are more likely that a Fighter will be proficient, and also have a high STR. Yes, it is possible for a Rogue to devote his Expertise to Athletics, but it seems less likely than devoting it to Stealth, Perception, Thieves Tools, Deception, Acrobatics, Investigation, and so on. Certainly possible, but less likely.

So again, I am not claiming universal superiority, but just general trends that I would expect to see.

As for boats and ropes....kind of irrelevant. I don't think that most adventurers keep boats in their backpacks. Ropes, for sure....but ropes don't tie themselves to high ledges or ramparts. When I think of Exploration, I think of Tomb Raider. Climbing up a ledge, tying the rope so the DC is easier for others to follow, then jumping across the ravine to hit the lever that lowers the bridge....this is all Exploration and the Fighter will most likely be good at all of it.

Denying that....I don't know....it seems like you guys are starting with the conclusion you want, and then shaping your evidence around that, rather than looking at the actual class details and then deciding based on those if the class is indeed "useless" outside of combat or not.

Perception, Investigation, Stealth, and Survival are all important to exploration, as well. The Fighter has access to 2 of the 4 as a class, and I specifically mentioned Survival as a likely choice. If a party doesn't have a Ranger, then the Fighter may very well be their best bet for Tracking and Foraging and the like. If the party does have a Ranger, then the Fighter will still most likely excel at STR based skill checks.

Which is a nice improvement over prior editions, BTW. Then again, proficiency is readily available to anyone via Background, and proficiency doesn't count for as much as Trained (+5) or 'in-class' (double!) did in the most recent past editions, not without Expertise (double!) or some other feature layered atop it... (BTW, that's one reason making RA stack would be a simple/easy, minor, fix to the Champion's out-of-combat performance, it'd go from half-as-good as proficiency, to proficiency-and-a-half, closer to the Expertise standard of excellence)

I wouldn't have minded if Remarkable Athlete worked along the lines of Expertise. But the fact that they didn't doesn't render the Fighter useless outside of combat.

As for previous editions, I don't think it's all that useful of a comparison to compare proficiency to in-class skills or trained skills of prior editions. The discussion is not about how the Fighter as a class has improved over editions. It's about how it stacks up against other classes in non-combat contribution.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Sure...but this is why I said "most likely". Chances are that Rangers are very likely and Rogues almost certainly built around DEX.
So, what you're saying is that fighters are 'most likely' bad at stealth so can't contribute in scouting and similar aspects of exploration requiring good DEX?

Fighters can go STR or DEX in 5e - so can rangers (rogues, barbarians, and paladins, for instance, not s'much) - it's a bit of versatility the 5e fighter finally got without undue strings (feat taxes) attached. It's nice. But, it's at-chargen versatility, and it goes one way or the other for any given fighter.

There are always exceptions. If we're going to speak about how a Fighter can contribute outside of combat then we should probably discuss choices that the player makes that allow him to do so, and not choices he makes that don't allow it.
And when those choices can be made, and whether they exclude other choices. At chargen, if you're gong to use weapons, you generally make a STR or DEX choice. If you went with DEX you're probably not going to play a paladin or barbarian. If you go with STR, it's probably not a rogue nor an archer of any kind. So, sure, the STR fighter is probably going to be stronger than the rogue and the DEX fighter stealthier than the Paladin or even lighter-armored Barbarian.

The supposition, 'well, a fighter can sneak better than the paladin/barb because he's more likely to have high DEX (since the other classes are more deeply committed to STR),' is just as true as a fighter likely being stronger than the rogue or ranger... but no fighter is both those things. And, the DEX fighter is unlikely to be as stealthy as the rogue (a prime thing for the rogue to use Expertise in), nor the STR fighter stronger than the raging barbarian.

Anyone can build a character of any class who is not good at anything.
Might be harder than it sounds, in good faith, anyway. You gotta put your stat points &c somewhere... ;)

Sorry, I wasn't clearer....I meant the Jumping Distance aspect of Remarkable Athlete more so than the boost for non-proficient skills. The non-proficiency boost is helpful, but not as meaningful as Expertise, I agree.
Ah, that makes more sense.

As for boats and ropes....kind of irrelevant. I don't think that most adventurers keep boats in their backpacks. Ropes, for sure....
I said raft rather than boat because I figured they'd be the kind of thing to get improvised in the exploration pillar, when there's more time for finding such solutions than when, say, swimming a moat in the midst of battle.

rather than looking at the actual class details and then deciding based on those if the class is indeed "useless" outside of combat or not.
BA makes it impossible for anyone to be /useless/ outside of (or in) the combat pillar. Just nowhere near as good as the next guy. ;)
I wouldn't have minded if Remarkable Athlete worked along the lines of Expertise. But the fact that they didn't doesn't render the Fighter useless outside of combat.
/Useless/ is impossible. CR 1/8 Kobold with straight 8 stats? Not useless. RA is pretty useless as far as making the Champion, the only fighter that gets it, more competitive outside of combat (inside it can help with a few things, too, there's some no-proficiency-possible checks that can come up in combat), and merely making it stack with proficiency would change that.

Yes, all those skills all fall under the Athletics umbrella, that is my point. Chances are more likely that a Fighter will be proficient, and also have a high STR.
And also wearing heavy armor...
Yes, it is possible for a Rogue to devote his Expertise to Athletics, but it seems less likely than devoting it to Stealth, Perception, Thieves Tools, Deception, Acrobatics, Investigation, and so on. Certainly possible, but less likely.
Nod. That gets into what we're comparing, IMHO, it should be comparing two characters trying to be good at the same thing: Do we want the DEX fighter, the ranger or the rogue as our party scout? Do we want the STR fighter or the Barbarian kicking in doors & carrying stuff for us?

The impression I get is that you're on the point about the fighter contributing somewhere that everyone else happens to have neglected. In the party with STR in the 8-12 range, the STR fighter is /the/ lift'n & break'n stuff guy. In the party with DEX in the 10-14 range, the DEX fighter is the stealthy one. In the party with otherwise universally dumped CHA, the Noble Fighter with 14 CHA is the face.

If a party doesn't have a Ranger, then the Fighter may very well be their best bet for Tracking and Foraging and the like. If the party does have a Ranger, then the Fighter will still most likely excel at STR based skill checks.
Yes, the one-eyed fighter in the land of the blind is king. So is the two-eyed anything else.

As for previous editions, I don't think it's all that useful of a comparison to compare proficiency to in-class skills or trained skills of prior editions.
I think it's important for those of us who have been through prior editions not to judge the current ed by things that no longer apply. Training was nice in 4e (& there was room to optimize skill checks on top of that), and in-class was huge in 3e especially at high level. Proficiency is nice in 5e, but so is a high stat, and it takes both proficiency and a high stat (or better yet Expertise) to excel in 5e to anything like the degree you might have in 3e with max ranks in an in-class skill (never mind optimized, which got insane).
So 'skill on the class list' doesn't mean what it used to.

Last edited:

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
What can a non-magical or low-magic class get that would make them relevant next to the almighty spellcasters? I would probably start looking at something Fighters are supposed to be good at, but rarely get abilities that reflect it- tactics & strategy.

Wizard: "Man, I have all these spells, but I'm not sure which ones to take today."

Fighter: "Let me see- ok, Fireball is right out, we know there's at least one Fire Giant in the fortress, and the Rogue spotted a few Hellhounds."

Wizard: "Oh, ok, Cone of Cold, then?"

Fighter: "Mmm, I believe Sun Tzu said that when fighting on open ground, you should fill it up. Let's narrow their avenues of attack as much as possible. Web is probably out because of the Hellhounds, but we could get a lot of mileage out of sleet storm, stinking cloud, that sort of thing. We know the Orcs are weak willed, what's that one spell..the one with the flashing lights?"

Wizard: "Oh, Hypnotic Pattern? You said I shouldn't use that after what happened last time..."

Fighter: "Well, I was a little upset being caught in the middle of it. Now that I know what the spell does, we can plan around using it better."

Sorcerer: "Hey! I got that spell! And I can protect you guys from it!"

Wizard: "You. Got a new spell? And it's useful?"

Fighter: "Stop. We need to be encouraging this sort of behavior. So ok, when we fight the ogres, you'll cast this, and then the Rogue will..."

And the Fighter's plan gives some kind of tactical bonus to everyone for working together! I don't know, maybe advantage on initiative or something? Surely even the almighty demigod casters would find that useful? ~_-

Tony Vargas

Legend
Wow... if only you'd been clearer about your "real" point... as opposed to writing nearly a paragraph of rhetorical stuff and not mentioning a comparison in utility anywhere amidst all those words... I also apologize I totally misread that.
That said, a DM ruling that you can expend Action Surge to get some benefit out of combat is perfectly reasonable - as is the DM ruling the same about expending any other resource - and virtually all sub-classes have more, more versatile, and more out-of-combat-significant resources than the Champion/BM fighter's action surge.

Apology accepted.

Imaro

Legend
Apology accepted.

No problem, Like I said your "real " point was crystal clear... I mean with the caveat that action surge can't be used outside of combat, and in a situation where a DM ruled you can get some kind of non-combat benefit from it... yep clear as mud.

G

Guest 6801328

What can a non-magical or low-magic class get that would make them relevant next to the almighty spellcasters? I would probably start looking at something Fighters are supposed to be good at, but rarely get abilities that reflect it- tactics & strategy.

Wizard: "Man, I have all these spells, but I'm not sure which ones to take today."

Fighter: "Let me see- ok, Fireball is right out, we know there's at least one Fire Giant in the fortress, and the Rogue spotted a few Hellhounds."

Wizard: "Oh, ok, Cone of Cold, then?"

Fighter: "Mmm, I believe Sun Tzu said that when fighting on open ground, you should fill it up. Let's narrow their avenues of attack as much as possible. Web is probably out because of the Hellhounds, but we could get a lot of mileage out of sleet storm, stinking cloud, that sort of thing. We know the Orcs are weak willed, what's that one spell..the one with the flashing lights?"

Wizard: "Oh, Hypnotic Pattern? You said I shouldn't use that after what happened last time..."

Fighter: "Well, I was a little upset being caught in the middle of it. Now that I know what the spell does, we can plan around using it better."

Sorcerer: "Hey! I got that spell! And I can protect you guys from it!"

Wizard: "You. Got a new spell? And it's useful?"

Fighter: "Stop. We need to be encouraging this sort of behavior. So ok, when we fight the ogres, you'll cast this, and then the Rogue will..."

And the Fighter's plan gives some kind of tactical bonus to everyone for working together! I don't know, maybe advantage on initiative or something? Surely even the almighty demigod casters would find that useful? ~_-

In all seriousness, this gives me an idea for a Fighter (or even another unnamed non-magical strategy & leadership sort of class) ability:
Your foresight and planning help spellcasters better prepare for the adventuring day. With your agreement, a Wizard in your presence may swap out one of their prepared spells for another, representing prior consultation and discussion. The spellcaster must be one with whom you shared your most recent long rest, and one who prepares spells each long rest. The spell to be replaced cannot have been used since the last long rest, and the new spell must be one that is normally available to the caster. Each applicable spellcaster may do this once, and the ability resets on long rest.​

Needs some better wordsmithing, but that's the idea. Even I would be ok with "leadership" abilities like this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hussar

Legend
/snip

And I have no problem with a personal preference around the fighter. It's only when we get to talking about what is or isn't objectively good or bad that it rubs me (and I believe other posters the wrong way).

Look... I've had two players play a fighter (as well as having played one myself in our other DM's campaign) to higher levels (and another one that has asked to switch his cleric to a fighter in our game that just started last week), They never felt that they couldn't contribute to the non-combat pillar, This may be because when I run games I rarely have a challenge that one player has to or can accomplish themselves. The thing is we asked earlier... what does a warlock bring to non-combat that a Bard or Sorcerer can't do as well? And it was never addressed. There's overlap between large swaths of classes so the... have a unique thing... just doesn't seem all that important to me, only that you have resources that can be brought to bear to influence the non-combat pillars.

Well, to use the warlock example. You could have a chainlock which brings a VERY effective scout, plus the ability to see in all darkness (as an option) which makes all warlocks very effective scouts. A Tome Lock can have Guidance spells, meaning a +1d4 on the majority of skill checks, whether he makes them himself or he can give it to anyone else, at will. Plus the ability to have every ritual in the game.

A GOO Warlock can speak EVERY language at will.

Making a Warlock that is contributing out of combat is pretty darn easy. I'm not sure that's the example you want to go with here.

/snip

No one else gets two extra ASIs
You can choose to use them on things that greatly increase contribution outside of combat without sacrificing anything because you still have 4 ASIs to bolster primary class features./snip

You're missing my point though. EVERYONE gets ASI's. The second one doesn't kick in until FOURTEENTH level. Good grief, are you honestly saying that a second ASI is the same as getting 4th level spell? Oops, sorry, the Ranger and Paladin got that at 13th. At 14th, the Paladin can automatically end 1 spell/Charisma bonus/day (so, probably 4 times per day) and the Ranger can Hide as a bonus action at will. Seriously, you think a feat is equal to those two things?

Never minding that very, very few campaigns will ever see that level anyway. So, realistically, we're talking about one bonus ASI, not two. Whoopee, you have one more ASI, that you have to spend on combat just to keep up with the other fighter classes, as has been stated in this thread.

But, again, my point isn't that the fighter is bad. It's not. It's that it's just so incredibly bland and boring and brings virtually nothing to the table that couldn't be brought by any other class.

Sacrosanct

Legend
You're missing my point though. EVERYONE gets ASI's. The second one doesn't kick in until FOURTEENTH level. Good grief, are you honestly saying that a second ASI is the same as getting 4th level spell? Oops, sorry, the Ranger and Paladin got that at 13th. At 14th, the Paladin can automatically end 1 spell/Charisma bonus/day (so, probably 4 times per day) and the Ranger can Hide as a bonus action at will. Seriously, you think a feat is equal to those two things?

Never minding that very, very few campaigns will ever see that level anyway. So, realistically, we're talking about one bonus ASI, not two. Whoopee, you have one more ASI, that you have to spend on combat just to keep up with the other fighter classes, as has been stated in this thread.

But, again, my point isn't that the fighter is bad. It's not. It's that it's just so incredibly bland and boring and brings virtually nothing to the table that couldn't be brought by any other class.

I didn't miss your point. It's the same thing you said earlier. And the same thing that was debunked earlier as well. Yes, everyone gets ASIs. But no other class gets 6. 2 extra are a unique feature of the fighter. If all classes spend 4 ASIs to bolster up their core focus on the class, the fighter can choose to be extra specialized, or acquire the ability to be extremely good at out of combat functionality. Again, choice. And here you are again, insistent on ignoring these things that debunk your opinion. I know they've been pointed out to you many times already.

What's also been pointed out is how you seem to hold the fighter to a different standard. No one complains about any other class not getting a feature past levels that hardly no one plays to, but you sure do hold the fighter to that standard.

Speaking of double standards, you aren't really comparing the fighter to other non casters. Are feats on equal footing as the level 6 and 14th level class abilities of the barbarian or monk? They sure seem so in my opinion. But then again, that would be an answer to the goal post shifting. first it was "fighters don't get anything" and they do. Then it was "fighters can't do anything out of combat" which they do. And now it's "but the paladin gets a level 4 spell at 14th level. Hard to keep up when you keep shifting goalposts every time a point of yours is debunked.

And finally, once again you are objectively wrong with your last statement as has been proven many times. This isn't politics. You can't keep repeating the same falsehood and eventually think it becomes fact. In combat, the fighter brings an extra attack no one else gets (except monk and only then if you spend ki on flurry of blows). No other class gets that, and that's pretty big. A fighter can also chose every single feat any other class chooses and then gets two more. That's pretty significant as well.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases