new demon - Black Venger (no relation to the D&D personage... ; )

Devon

First Post
Hi, folks,

Here is a demon that came to me in a vision during Aikido practice. I had to rush out to draw it, and it became the horrible thing you see below.

Please let me know if you catch any problems or have suggestions as to how I could more fully round out its nastiness.

- Devon

Black Venger (Tanar'ri)
Large Outsider (chaotic, evil)
Hit Dice: 8d8 +24 (60 hp)
Initiative: +8 (+4 Dex, +4 Improved Initiative)
Speed: 40 ft.
AC: 18 (+4 natural, +4 Dex)
Attacks: bite +13 melee, 2 claws +11 melee; or weapon +13/+8/+3 (ranged +12/+7/+2)
Damage: bite 1d8+5, claw 1d6+2, or by weapon +5
Face/Reach: 5 ft by 10 ft/ 10 ft
Special attacks: Spell-like abilities, sneak attack, fear aura
Special Qualities: Damage Resistance 15/+1, malleable, darksight, uncanny dodge, Tanar'ri qualities
Saves: Fort +9, Ref +10, Will +9
Abilities: Str 21, Dex 18, Con 16, Int 16, Wis 16, Cha 16
Skills: Craft (trapmaking) +15, Disable Device +15, Forgery +14, Hide +17, Listen +12, Move Silently +17, Open Lock +16, Search +12, Spot +13
Feats: Improved Initiative, Combat Reflexes
Climate/Terrain: any land and underground
Organization: solitary
Challenge Rating: 8 (suggest 9)
Treasure: standard
Alignment: always chaotic evil
Advancement: 9 - 16 HD (Large), 17 - 24 HD (Huge)

Black Vengers are demonic assassins that prey on thoughts of revenge, committing horrible murders for their masters until they are driven towards evil and chaos.

The Black Venger is a large, hunched monstrosity, with thin, spindly arms and legs which appear to be thick, asymmetrical tangles of tree root wrapped in dry, scaly black hide. It leans forward as it walks, spine bent at a 90-degree angle, its head stretched well ahead of the body in defiance of gravity. Its oversized head is the color of pink, freshly healing skin-wrinkled and shiny, almost like a huge brain. Its beady, insectoid eyes appear to be rivets stapled deep into its face, and its head appears to split in half when it opens its mouth, which features four inward-pointing, needle-shaped teeth. Although it appears to be physically challenged, it is quite deft and dextrous.

The Black Venger will lurk invisibly in a large population center, casting around with detect thoughts, looking for a mortal with a grudge or thoughts of revenge. Using detect thoughts to figure out her darkest desires, the demon endeavors to carry them out in a way that cannot be traced back to the chosen mortal. At first the deaths will seem like accidents, or random murders, until the chosen "master" realizes that anyone for whom she holds ill will soon dies. Eventually, the demon will kill anyone its current master has mentally condemned, no matter how slightly, until the chosen mortal is either driven mad with power, embracing her newfound power to kill without consequence, or plunged into despair at having been party to such bloody madness.

Although it appears to be out for vengeance, remedying slights either real or perceived by its chosen master, it is just as chaotic as any other demon. Some say that when an assassin gets sloppy, becoming bloodthirsty and chaotic, her soul is enlisted in the armies of the Abyss, tormented and groomed until she becomes a Black Venger, when she can entertain her bloodiest desires for killing, with new abilities to ensure she doesn't get caught.

Combat:
The Black Venger remains invisible most of the time, allowing its mark's imagination to dictate how it kills. It gets a lot of use from animate object, summon swarm, and produce flame, but occasionally uses less subtle means, such as fireball. When the current master has embraced her power, the Black Venger itself becomes more reckless, appearing visibly to perform its bloody murders, finally able to delight in the suffering it can cause.

Fear Aura (Su): Black Vengers can radiate a 5-foot-radius fear aura as a free action. Affected creatures must succeed at a Will save (DC 17) or be affected as though by a fear spell cast by an 8th-level sorcerer. A creature that successfully saves cannot be affected again by the same Black Venger's aura for one day. Other tanar'ri are immune to the aura.

Sneak Attack (Ex): Any time the Black Venger's target would be denied a Dexterity bonus to AC (whether the target actually has a Dexterity bonus or not), or when the demon flanks the target, attack deals +3d6 extra damage.

Malleable (Ex): The Black Venger, despite its large size, can squeeze its bulk anywhere a human can. Its malleable body also reduces the amount of damage it takes from bludgeoning weapons by half, even enchanted weapons.

Spell-Like Abilities: At will - animate object, deeper darkness, detect good, detect magic, detect poison, detect thoughts, dispel good, improved invisibility, obscuring mist, pass without trace, produce flame, spider climb, teleport without error (self plus 50 pounds of objects only); 3/day - fireball, freedom of movement, nondetection, summon swarm and unholy blight. These abilities are as the spells cast by an 11th-level sorcerer (save DC 13 + spell level).

Darksight (Ex): The Black Venger has darkvision 120 ft., and see through any darkness, magical or otherwise -- even deeper darkness.

Uncanny Dodge (Ex): If exposed to any effect that normally allows a character to attempt a Reflex saving throw for half damage, the Black Venger takes no damage with a successful saving throw and it retains its Dexterity bonus to AC if caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker.

Summon Tanar'ri (Sp): Black Vengers can summon 1-2 Uridezu (Manual of the Planes) with a 30% chance.

Tanar'ri Qualities: Black Vengers are immune to poison and electricity. They have cold, fire, and acid resistance 20. They can communicate telepathically with any creature within 100 feet that has a language.

Skills: Black Vengers have a +4 racial bonus to Hide, Move Silently and Open Lock checks.

[edited for missed saves, a feat, a huge error in its melee bonuses, and to add the Tanar'ri they are able to summon]

Last edited:

Devon

First Post
thank you

Thank you, Krishnath.

Anyone else have comments or suggestions? Should this thing have more assassin-like abilities, or is it nasty enough as it is? I'm just uncertain how to make demons and devils, especially their spell-like abilities. I also haven't figured out what other tanar'ri would be summoned by these demons.

Devon

Last edited:

Arken

Explorer
If it's supposed to be an assassin and so subtle and quiet then maybe it shouldn't summon anything too ostentatious...It would hardly be in spirit to sneak about everywhere then get near your enemy and summon a balor on them :D

Looks great though...I love anything Planar, demons are great :)

Devon

First Post
For the Summon Tanar'ri Ability, what kind of Tanar'ri does it have a 10% chance of summoning?

That's an aspect of infernal politics I've been afraid to touch.

Wasn't the alkilitith (2e Planescape) a Tanar'ri? The green creeping sneaking slime thing? That might work. Most of the other Tanar'ri are either much higher on the food chain, or combat monsters with little subtlety. Yochlols (MoF) might also work, as would the Maurezhi (2e Planescape) assuming I or someone else convert it.

- Devon

Krishnath

First Post
I would suggest that it summons an Uridezu (from Manual of the Planes), the Uridezu (or Rat Demon) is smaller and weaker than your demon (only got 7 HD), and is also quite apt at hiding and sneaking. And besides it's got Rat empathy :D

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases