Pain, great pain.

Beholder Bob

First Post
Looking for problems with the system, areas I missed or open to abuse. Thanks for checking it out.

HTK VARIANT HP SYSTEM

1) HTK: potentially lethal damage and severe wounds.
2) HP: bruising, sprains, and being shaken a bit. Takes a while to recover but not deadly in itself – but in large enough doses it can kill you. Partial action only at 0 HP, puts PC unconscious for 1d6 rounds, further HP DMG converts to HTK DMG and knocks the PC unconscious for 2d20 rounds.
3) Stun: what subdual damage was in the HP system, minor bruises, scrapes, and bumps on the head. Non-lethal except in extreme cases. Easily restored. Once someone drops to 0 HP due to stun DMG, each point of further stun damage converts 1 stun into 1 HP damage.

Calculating HTK: (½ the HD of the 1st level class) + ((CON+STR)/4) + BATT
1st fighter, 17 STR, 13 CON (1st level) (10/2)+((17+13)/4)+1 = 13.5 = 13
3rd rogue, 1st wizard, 3rd fighter, 12 STR, 11 CON (7th level) (6/2)+((12+11)/4)+(5¾) = 14.5 = 14
9th barbarian, 18 STR, 14 CON (9th level) (12/2)+((32)/4)+(9) = 23

HTK Calculation taking size into account: Smaller then medium sized creatures multiply their HTK by ¾ for each step below medium (i.e. 3 steps below medium multiplies its HTK by (¾ * ¾ * ¾ = 27/64 or 0.3). Big creatures multiply their HTK by 1½ for every step up in size above medium. (1½ *1½ *1½ = 27/2 or 3.38). Minimum HTK is 1. ((H/2+((C+S)/4)+(B))*S

A dragon (4 steps up), d12 HD, 24 CON, 26 STR, and +17 BATT
((12/2)+(50/4)+17)*5.06= 179.7 = 179 HTK
A squirrel (3 steps down), D4 HD, 12 CON, 2 STR, 1d4 HD, +0 BATT
((4/2)+(14/4)+0)*.42 = 1.6 = 1 HTK
A 3rd level Rogue Kobald (1 step down), D6 HD, 10 CON, 10 STR, and +2 BATT
((6/2)+(20/4)+(2))*.75= 7.5 = 7

HTK WOUNDS AND IMPAIRMENT

% HTK WOUND DEGREE HEAL FORT DC HTK RECOVER
DONE LEVEL IMPAIRED DC OR SHOCK PER DAY (*SIZE)

1-20% Light None 12 None 1 / day
21-40% Moderate -2 STR 14 None 1 / day
-2 DEX
41-60% Serious -4 STR 16 Nausea ¾ / day
-4 DEX for 1 R
2/3 MV
61-80% Critical -6 STR 18 Stunned ¾ / day
-6 DEX for 1 R
½ MV
81-99% Mortal -8 STR 20 Stunned ½ / day
-8 DEX for d4 R
¼ MV
100+% Dying Helpless 25 NA ¼ / day

Wounding damage does the same HP amount as normal, and (if a d4 or higher) 1 HTK per die rolled – except a natural 1 does 0 HTK. Damage sources that do less then a d4 do not do HTK normally. An attack that hits by 5+ does HTK damage equal to the HP for that attack. The HTK on a critical hit is equal to the base HP done with the first roll, then as per a non-critical hit for the multiple damage dice added for the critical. Spells and psionics inflict HTK as weapons do, except that bonus damage is converted at 1 HTK per 4 HP done. Damage from falling converts to HTK as weapon damage.
Dying: 0 HTK is a coma state, below that is –1 to –10 HTK, as per the currant HP system, death at –10 HTK, 10% of stabilizing each round, otherwise lose 1 HTK each round.

DAMAGE REDUCT AND HTK
Apply damage reduction to HTK normally unless the creature is immune to HP and subdual damage. If this is the case, apply ½ damage reduction to the HTK done.

HEALING DAMAGE

Healing HP: Healing HP is per the normal system but add CON mod to HP recovered per day. Healing HP damage also heals stun damage.
Healing Stun: Healing stun is easy, 1 HP/10 minute of rest, 1 HP/1 hour of activity.
Healing HTK: Healing sources heal using the same methods as for determining magic damage. Naturally healed at a rate given above. Recovered HTK are spread among the wounds, with wounds that heal slowly getting a fraction of the amount listed.

EXAMPLE OF HTK & COMBAT, ALPHA VS BETA

Fighter Alpha: 1st LV, CON 15, STR 18, HP 12, small size, HTK 10.68 or HTK 10, wielding a short sword
Fighter Beta: 1st LV CON 13, STR 14, HP 11, medium size, HTK 12.75 or HTK 12, wielding a long sword

R1: Alpha hits Beta by 2, rolls damage, and gets a 4. Beta has taken 4 HP & 1 HTK
Beta swings at Alpha and misses
R2: Alpha hits Beta by 3, rolls 5 damage. Beta has taken 9 HP & 2 HTK
Beta hits Alpha by 6, rolls 7 damage. Alpha has taken 7 HP & 7 HTK
This is 70% of Alpha’s HTK, a critical wound, dropping his STR & DEX by 6 and requires a DC 7 FORT save or else stunned for 1 round. He makes his save.
R3: Alpha hits Beta by 0, rolls 1 damage (and so 0 HTK). Beta has taken 10 HP & 2 HTK
Now at 0 HP, limited to partial actions, and will take 1d6 subdual if exerts self
Beta misses Alpha by 1, and passes out for 3 rounds (exerted self while at 0 HP).

Alpha leaves to recover. He has a single wound, 7 HP & 7 HTK. The HP with this wound can not be healed higher then the # of HTK left with the wound, and this wound heals at ¾ HTK a day, 1½ with complete rest, 2¼ with complete bed rest and a healer. Assuming complete rest but no healer, it will take 5 days to recover from this wound.
Beta has taken 3 wounds, 4/1, 5/1, 1/0 – for a total of 10 HP and 2 HTK. No wound is worse then 1 HTK, and the total is less then 21% of HTK total, so he recovers 1 HTK per day, 2 HTK with rest, and 3 HTK with bed rest and a healer. Assuming complete rest but no healer, it will take 1 day to recover the lost HTK (4 HP, 0 HTK damage), and another day to recover the remaining 4 HP, a total of 2 days. But if Alpha and Beta meet in a day, Alpha will be wounded (6 HTK & 6 HP damage) and at –4 STR & DEX, while Beta will only be sore (0 HTK, 4 HP damage).

EXAMPLE OF HTK & COMBAT, ALPHA & BETA VS DAMAGE REDUCT MONSTER

Alpha & Beta (now friends) fight a fiendish creature with 5/+1 damage reduction
Monster 3d10 HD, 12 STR, 22 CON, HP 18, BATT +2, and large size ((10+34/4)+2)*1.5=30HTK

R1: Alpha hits monster by 1, rolls damage, and gets a 5. Monster takes 5-5=0 HP, 0 HTK
Beta hits monster by 5, rolls damage, and gets a 6. Monster takes 1 HP & 1 HTK
R2: Alpha hits monster while flanking by 3, rolls damage & +1d6 sneak attack damage, gets a 3 and 6, doing 4 HP through but 0 HTK
Beta hits monster while flanking by 7, rolls damage & 1d6 sneak attack damage, gets a 5 and 2, does 2 HP and (5+1 HTK -5 DMG reduction) = 1 HTK
R3: Alpha gets a critical hit while flanking, rolls damage, and gets a 5, 3, & 6. The monster takes 9 HP, 2 HTK
Beta Misses

By this point, they have inflicted 16 HP and 4 HTK. Once they drop the monster to 0 HP, all further damage rolls will do the roll’s full amount in HTK damage. The monster will eventually be battered down to 0 HP (and so unconscious for 1d6 rounds, then limited to partial moves only). While it is unconscious, Alpha and Beta should be able to finish it off.

Derrick Reeves

First Post
This looks awfully complicated. The only critique I can offer with my current understanding is that this system appears to have a steep learning curve. :confused:

Beholder Bob

First Post
Hopefully not in application. Generally, once you have calculated your HTK and HTK wound % stats, it should flow fairly smoothly (Hah!). I've run it smoothly, but I made it, so go figure. The system is intended to join the concept of critical hits with a more gritty combat, but perhaps I have overworked it. This system is wed to another I posted a few weeks ago, where bonus damage is converted to dice (so a d4+12 damage becomes d4+2d6) - to prevent the autodeath by damage bonus (in 2nd edition, a +3 to damage meant you could slap kobalds to death - i.e. before they could get class levels), and to prevent players from ignoring damage (I've got 80 HP, I let him swing at me as I get into my chain mail - I'll jump down the 30' drop, etc.). This would strengthen low level characters and keep high level characters from fealing immortal.
Thank you for your feedback.

Remove ads