D&D 5E Shadow Monk: Straight, or Monk/Rogue

Cornpuff

First Post
Whoa, this is interesting. I'm in a CoS game right now with a monk who is building toward a shadow monk/assassin multiclass. Since we're planning to play through level 10, my plan is to do Monk to 7, and then add 3 levels of Rogue at the end. Right now, I'm at level 4, and while sometime I kick myself for not taking a level in Rogue already for that sweet Sneak Attack and some extra skills, I don't really know where I'd dip earlier because IMO you kinda gotta take a monk to 7 or so. Extra Attack, Ki-Powered Strikes, and Evasion are all too good to pass up, at least in Strahd (where everything is trying to kill you and also magic).

nswanson27

First Post
Could you say more about that? Isn't the value of the primary benefit of Mobility somewhat diminished when you can teleport away with a bonus action?

FWIW, the feat I really want is Mage Slayer. Between teleporting within range, Sneak Attack, Sneak Attack as a Reaction, and Stunning Strike it could be really fun....

Sure, you can, but using shadow step that way won't give you the advantage on your next melee attack. That's huge, since advantage allows you to sneak attack anything, even if there isn't an ally adjacent to the enemy. Plus, you'd be surprised how useful that extra 10 movement is in combat.
Much better to shadow step in, attack with advantage (and sneak attack), and run out far enough so nothing can hit you with melee (deflect missiles will handle arrows).
Once you get to lvl 6 monk, you'd have 55 movement with mobility feat. Even if you're in broad daylight (no shadow step), you still can get an extra 55 movement from cunning action (lvl 2 rogue), and you can pretty much kite anything - even things that fly. They'd have to use their action to dash to catch you, but then they can't attack that turn. Then you attack, run away (mobility), and repeat. :)_
Also, you can catch anything, since you're using your bonus action- action is available to attack for most things non-flying. If it's flying, you might need to dash (action) + dash (bonus action) + move = 165 feet, and then rely on your attack of opportunity to attack (and stun).

Last edited:

G

Guest 6801328

Sure, you can, but using shadow step that way won't give you the advantage on your next melee attack. That's huge, since advantage allows you to sneak attack anything, even if there isn't an ally adjacent to the enemy. Plus, you'd be surprised how useful that extra 10 movement is in combat.
Much better to shadow step in, attack with advantage (and sneak attack), and run out far enough so nothing can hit you with melee (deflect missiles will handle arrows).
Once you get to lvl 6 monk, you'd have 55 movement with mobility feat. Even if you're in broad daylight (no shadow step), you still can get an extra 55 movement from cunning action (lvl 2 rogue), and you can pretty much kite anything - even things that fly. They'd have to use their action to dash to catch you, but then they can't attack that turn. Then you attack, run away (mobility), and repeat. :)_
Also, you can catch anything, since you're using your bonus action- action is available to attack for most things non-flying. If it's flying, you might need to dash (action) + dash (bonus action) + move = 165 feet, and then rely on your attack of opportunity to attack (and stun).

Ok, that's pretty persuasive. However...if I go Tiefling (just because I want to) that means I'll have to make the choice between an ASI and Mobile at 4th. And 8th. And 12th...

Damn you, Choices!

nswanson27

First Post
Ok, that's pretty persuasive. However...if I go Tiefling (just because I want to) that means I'll have to make the choice between an ASI and Mobile at 4th. And 8th. And 12th...

Damn you, Choices!

Indeed. :) Keep in mind though that you'll have 3 levels of play before you need to choose in your case.

clutchbone

First Post
Be aware that you'll be attacking with disadvantage in darkness if you pick human, which doesn't really mix well with the preferred environment of a shadow monk, also disadvantage invalidates sneak attack. Either that or you're constantly burning 2 ki to cast darkvision.

G

Guest 6801328

Be aware that you'll be attacking with disadvantage in darkness if you pick human, which doesn't really mix well with the preferred environment of a shadow monk, also disadvantage invalidates sneak attack. Either that or you're constantly burning 2 ki to cast darkvision.

Shadow Step requires dim light, not darkness.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Personally I would go more heavy monk than heavy rogue. I might take a 1 level dip in rogue for expertise. I wouldn't go any further though. KI and scaling move speed and scaling weapon damage is too important for the monk IMO.

Remove ads