D&D 5E Age of Monsters

Hey everyone,

I was brainstorming about a campaign world I might want to run in, and I had the idea of a world where the common races were extinct and the only people left were monsters. The basic premise is that the Big Bad conquered the world, but after a thousand years or whatever, eventually something happened and now the monstrous minions of evil have regained their free will. I know it's not the most original idea, but it's something I wanted to explore.

At the current stage of planning, I'm just coming up with the list of playable races. All of them are going to be designed from scratch to be balanced against each other, so don't worry about that. The only real constraint is that they're supposed to be cursed monsters, rather than anything natural, so I'm not really looking for generic evil humanoids.

To give you an idea, my current list of definites that I want to include is:
  • Medusa
  • Harpy
  • Minotaur
  • Vampire
  • Werewolf
  • Ghost

A couple that I'm not so sure about are:
  • Lamia
  • Rakshasa
  • Kappa
  • Kitsune

What say you all? What kind of fun, distinct monstrous humanoids would you want to play? I'm not really looking for more than about a dozen races, but nothing on that second list is set in stone. Or if you have any ideas for the first list, and distinct traits or abilities that you would definitely want to see them have, I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks!

neogod22

Explorer
You should use the monster races players can already play in Volo's guide, so you won't have to do so much work with trying to balance the game.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

You should use the monster races players can already play in Volo's guide, so you won't have to do so much work with trying to balance the game.
I'm not afraid of work, and I'm actually looking forward to this as an opportunity to fix the existing balance issues. Anything less than a complete overhaul of playable races would be insufficient.

Remove ads