Human Fighters Most Common Race/Class Combo In D&D

*Deleted by user*

Tony Vargas

Legend
A. The fighter is good because so many people like it.

B. A lot of people like the fighter, so it has something appealing about it, even if that doesn't appeal to you.

Do you understand the difference?
Of course there are things appealing about the fighter! I've mentioned some. Look at the archetypes you actually see in the broader genre, from modern novels back to the mists of myth/legend. You try to take a lot of them into D&D, the fighter is the only place they fit, because they weren't spell-casters, nor sneaky glass cannons, nor savage berserkers.

Satyrn

First Post
That said, I have always wanted you to get everything you want from a complex martial character, seriously. For your Christmas, I hope WoTC releases a plethora of Wuxia options, a Warlord, a martial archetype that does damage on a miss, and every possible combination of martial character with all sorts of options that you have dreamed of, and even those you haven't, that rival and surpass the options of spellcasters.
Well, now I know what I want for Xmas. Thanks for writing my wishlist for me!

Now, I just need to get @Santa Claus to read this.

Tony Vargas

Legend
The first which I will not belabor (as I have previously) is it really bugs me when people do the whole "straw man," "ad hominem," "appeal to authority," "argumentum ad verecundiam," on enworld...
Nod, this isn't formal logic, sure, I get that. It's a convenient short-hand in this instance, but it's outside it's proper usage, yes.

That doesn't mean that the Fighter is the best class ever, or the best design of a martial class. But it definitely appeals to people not in spite of, but because of the simplicity.
Ironically, if I had to nominate a best-class-design-ever for a D&D martial class, it would unhesitatingly be the 3e Fighter. Primarily because it was not just actually simple (as opposed to choice-poor), but elegant, yet had depth. It just had the misfortune of being in the same edition with CoDzilla.

That said, I have always wanted you to get everything you want from a complex martial character, seriously. For your Christmas, I hope WoTC releases a plethora of Wuxia options, a Warlord, a martial archetype that does damage on a miss, and every possible combination of martial character with all sorts of options that you have dreamed of, and even those you haven't, that rival and surpass the options of spellcasters. Because I genuinely want people to get what they want, and people getting what they want does not impact my game.
And I in no way want to prohibit people from continuing to play their Champions.

I just found the theory about 'story vs mechanics:'
Wezerek suggests a slightly silly reason for the popularity of human fighters: human because they get +1 to everything, and fighters because they let you focus on storytelling over mechanics. He doesn't even broach the subject of the variant human and its potentially game-breaking fighter synergy in combat.
more like spin than theory. Mechanics don't get in the way of story, they can support it. OTOH, the most-relatable race, human, being the other half of that most-popular combo, points to a more meaningful reason, the concepts that necessarily fall to the fighter are more relatable than those that require a berserker, assassin, warlock, druid*, etc...​

Is that Tony?

I always associate Sorcerer rants with Cap'n Zapp!
Moonsong. I'm a sympathizer, though.

* I should really be more upset that my favorite 5e class finished dead last, but, hey, it's in the PH, and, I guess, it just means it's that much less likely I'll ever here "nah, we already have 3 druids, play something else..."

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads

Remove ads