D&D 5E The Multiclassing Poll!

On a scale from 1-5, how common is multiclassing in your experience?

• 1. No multiclassing.

Votes: 13 11.0%
  • 2. Multiclassing is rare or disfavored.

Votes: 65 55.1%
  • 3. About 50/50.

Votes: 30 25.4%
  • 4. Multiclassing is the rule, not the exception.

Votes: 6 5.1%
  • 5. Pretty much everyone multiclasses and/or dips.

Votes: 4 3.4%

• Poll closed .

Arilyn

Hero
There are no objections to multiclassing at our table, but it doesn't happen very often. We have one player who occasionally multiclasses in order to have a character fit his vision. Nobody is doing it for power gaming reasons.

I put it at 50-50 based on my home group, but when I account for open table and con play, it moves to rare.

That being said, from my experience most of the people that like to multiclass, seem to really like to, and will almost always do so when they make a character.

Shiroiken

Legend
In my last campaign, 2 of the 5 PCs multi-classed... but not until level 12. The rouge switched to fighter, because he wanted to become a Champion to improve critical hits with sneak attack (after getting Reliable Talent at Lv 11, because it's awesome). The bard decided to dip into cleric to get the Life domain after she realized she was the primary healer (and the barbarian took a LOT of her spell slots). Interestingly, at the same level, the sorcerer decided to take Magic Initiate with her feat to dabble with Warlock for story based reasons.

Overall multi-classing isn't a common thing, but it's not ignored either.

pukunui

Legend
As a player, it is rare for me to play a PC that is *not* multiclassed.

As a DM, however, it is rare for me to see a PC that *is* multiclassed. I have one player in one game who does it with just about every character, just like I do, but the rest of my players pretty much never bother with it.

hejtmane

Explorer
So, in the 538 thread, someone mentioned how multiclassing might skew the numbers somewhat.

And that got me to thinking (always a dangerous thing) ... how common is multiclassing in 5e? It's something I'm genuinely curious about.

Here at enworld, we see a lot of talks of dips, or multiclass builds, but then sometimes people point out that MCing is optional, or that they don't multiclass.

I know that in my games, MCing is non-existent, but I also run games for kids (too complicated when learning) and grognards (DON'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO!), so ... I can't really make a general observation.

So, what is it? Is multiclassing really common, somewhat common, or not at all common?

Necessary Disclaimer. This is a poll of enworld. It is not a representative sample. It is for entertainment and/or discussion purposes. It is not the absolute truth, nor is it intended to be so.

So, I am putting up a 1-5 scale (typical) with no "lemon curry," "fanciful Lowkey13" options. Please base your experience based upon either-

Player: What you play as.

DM: What you see at your table.

Here's the scale.

1. No multiclassing.

2. Very little multiclassing. There's some, but it's rare or disfavored.

3. About 50/50 multiclassing.

4. Multiclassing is the rule, not the exception.

5. I always multiclass, or everyone I knows multiclasses.

So, what's it like for you, or at your table?
My table is 50/50 most the multi class is usually built around a concept and it is the best way too achieve that concept.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

ccs

41st lv DM
Of the 4 5e campaigns I've run there's only been 4 MC characters.
Game 1: A 1/2 elf sorcerer who later MC into Warlock - mostly for RP reasons, but also just to try out the new rules.
Game 2: A 1/2orc cleric with a couple of lvs of fighter.
Game 2: A 10th lv wizard who ended up MC into warlock - 100% a RP thing.
Game 3: No MCing.
Game 4: ToA - starting tonight at 5th+ lv. One player was making a MC rogue/something. I'll see in a bit what he finally settled on....

For a time I considered MC my 1/2ling warlock into wizard in the CoS I got to play in. She got herself possessed by the spirit of a greedy, evil, wizard & began acting against her patrons interests. Had this not been resolved by the time she hit the next lv....
Fortunately the DM realized that this would greatly negate the fun this character brought to the group & allowed us to figure out a way to exorcise the spirit.

Harzel

Adventurer
In my only 5e campaign, out of 8 PCs, one is MC - wizard took one level of cleric because he thought the party had too few healing resources. Based on how this has played, in future campaigns I am thinking that I will disallow 1 and 2 level dips unless the player has a really, really good RP reason.

Remove ads