D&D 5E Xanathar's Guide to Everything: Rogue Scout

gyor

Legend
I really get now what people mean by the difference between Mike Mearls and Jeremy Crawford.

Mike Mearls focuses more on the development process, Jeremy focused on what the subclass actual does.

I can see value in both approaches. Most people prefer Jeremy's, approach because it has more spoilers, but I like Mearls approach because I basically know what these subclasses do more or less, and for ones I don't I'll see the details later, with Mearls we get insights into the process on how, and why a class designed the way it was, so it provides insights into the class beyond mechanics.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
I think Crawford is also simply a better presenter. (No offense against Mearls—not everyone is good at presentations and public speaking, I for one am not.)

ScuroNotte

Explorer
I still do not understand why they gave the expertise of Survival and nature to the rogue class as well as Ambush Master. Those abilities should have been core Ranger features.

Originally, the Ranger only had expertise in Wisdom and Intelligence skills in the selected terrains because giving them full expertise in all terrains was too powerful. Now the rogue has 6 skills with expertise by level 6 that is always available. Based on current presentation and possible future presentation, why would anyone select a ranger. This epitomizes WoTC's lack of comprehension and creativity when it comes to creating a ranger. I am completely disappointed, as well as the ranger who remains lost in the woods.

Chaosmancer

Legend
I really hope they revamped and fixed the scout's reaction move from the UA.

The UA version let you move at the end of the enemies turn (making it nearly completely useless) but the way they are talking they might have made it simply when the enemy ends their move next to you, making it far more powerful

Based on current presentation and possible future presentation, why would anyone select a ranger.

Because they want to play a character with magic and/or an animal companion? A lot of players create characters simply based on what they want to play after all, and not for optimization....

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I really get now what people mean by the difference between Mike Mearls and Jeremy Crawford.

Mike Mearls focuses more on the development process, Jeremy focused on what the subclass actual does.

I can see value in both approaches. Most people prefer Jeremy's, approach because it has more spoilers, but I like Mearls approach because I basically know what these subclasses do more or less, and for ones I don't I'll see the details later, with Mearls we get insights into the process on how, and why a class designed the way it was, so it provides insights into the class beyond mechanics.
Crawford is the nuts and bolts, numbers and facts guy: Mearls is the strategy and grand design guy.

With their powers combined...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases