Psi Points and a question

yrtalien

Explorer
So PP got changed to a dice pool roll rather than 10 times your PSI rating... last time I played we were using the old rules...

Can anyone tell me how this has worked out in their games? I used to argue that the variability inherent in magic justified the larger PP pool (3x [or6] vs 10x) but now the pool has considerably shrunk and I am worried my PsiCop is going to falter next to the TechnoMage.

In case someone hasnt figured it out we are playing int he Universe of B5.

Anyway, I am considering offering a Benny to the Psionic and I am thinking of tying it in to the B5 P-Rating system. for those that don't know, in this setting Telepaths are rated P1 to P12... there are a few examples of people who exhibit a higher P-rating but generally that is the range. I was going to make P-rating just a rp thing you get a rating and then it never really plays into anything but I'd like to do more with it. i want my characters Psi Cop (all Cops are P12) to be a better Teep than other telepaths... unfortunately natural ability doesnt figure in this way, in this game.

Perhaps P-rating could represent a Luck like dice pool that can only be used on Psi powers...
or you could spend a point to cause any 6 rolled to explode

I considered really hitting the wall and saying P1-P5 roll d6s for Psi powers and PP (or just PP which would on average still be less than 10 PSI rating I think)
P6-P9 d8s
P10-P11 d10s
P12+ d12s

Although i like that idea (I kind of favor high magic/psi type games) I am really worried about throwing the curve.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Ideas for how to incorporate a P-rating?

All help appreciated.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The P rating just maps to the PSI score. That’s what I had in mind when designing it. Depending on the scale you want, either 1:1 or 2:1.

yrtalien

Explorer
While that may be what I end up doing... the problem I have with that is there is no way for my player's PsiCop to start a P12 (that being either a PSI of 12 or 24 (by the above reckoning)). As well anyone could achieve those levels of power through training/career. I could say that normally a P-rating indicates the uppermost level of PSI rating you can achieve. so a P12 could at max have a PSI 24 and a P5 (corporate Teep) could at max have a PSI 10...

Ideally being a P12 would indicate some special innate talent or power. I considered making the psionic powers PSI requirements instead be P-rating requirement but that would mean futzing with the requirements since I dont want someone to have to be a P10 to Mindread (surface scan). However that would mess with the costing of the power...

Bleh ...

Or I could go back to just having Prating be an in - world sort of nothing rating.

This is only a problem in my head... I just want it to mean something.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Well, 6 or 12 I meant.

WOIN doesn't really do an innate power score -- all things are granularity incremented, whether its STR or PSI. It sounds like you're talking about making it An unalterable racial trait instead.

In that case, you'd need to excise the existing PSI score and just use the Mutant race to give the character a flat PSI score of your choosing.

Remove ads