High Strength Monk

Satyrn

First Post
Ooh...how about "Use your bonus action and spend 1 Ki to enter (insert creative name) Stance. While in this stance you have resistance to B/S/P damage. Lasts 1 minute or until you voluntarily move more than 10' in one round."

You could add something about advantage on saves to avoid forced movement. Or even just flat out say he can't be forcibly moved.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
You could add something about advantage on saves to avoid forced movement. Or even just flat out say he can't be forcibly moved.
Advantage on Strength saves would cover a good portion of forced movement, and mesh with the "high-strength monk" theme to boot.

I would probably also say the character's speed is reduced to 10' while in the stance, and that the stance can be exited at any time. If the monk really wants to get somewhere without dropping the stance, they can actions and ki to Dash to get there.

G

Guest 6801328

Yeah, that is probably pretty close. There is a roughly equal chance of having to burn a bunch of ki as the battlefield shifts and the monk has to chase it vs. holding the line and having 1 ki last the entire battle.

On the flip side, this is partially covered already by Patient Defense (or whichever is the ki + bonus action to Dodge).

Yeah but that has to be used every round. This would be a one time cost for a battle (including the upfront cost of your bonus action, which means no Flurry on the first round).

I like that. Advantage is probably sufficient; making it impossible runs into some improbable scenarios, i.e. when a Frost Giant tries to grapple you.

Satyrn

First Post
I like that. Advantage is probably sufficient; making it impossible runs into some improbable scenarios, i.e. when a Frost Giant tries to grapple you.

I pictured that sort of scenario, but still thought "Yeah, maybe that would work for him so I ought to mention it.

And I actually prefer [MENTION=205]TwoSix[/MENTION]'s more general modification to that - advantage on Strength saves.

Tormyr

Adventurer
Making it advantage only on saving throws misses the whole opposed Strength (Athletics) checks portion of forced movement.

I'd consider a sleight change to all monks: "When attacking with Strength, increase the monk's martial arts die by one size."

This ought to give all monks a choice to focus on AC or damage.

This is a very elegant piece of design. Small change, big impact. Nicely done.

G

Guest 6801328

This is a very elegant piece of design. Small change, big impact. Nicely done.

In fact, this could be applied to the game at large. Don't have finesse weapons; just reduce your weapon's damage by 1 die type if you use Dex.

CapnZapp

Legend
Hey everyone. I have a player wanting to play a monk, but they want to be a high strength character, not a high Dex character. How would you help facilitate this? Here were my thoughts:

Option 1) Build a monk subclass that allows for light armor, with an AC formula of Wis instead of Dex. With +3 studded leather, it would reach the same AC as a 20/20 Dex/Wis Monk.

Option 2) Build either an improved set of unarmed feats or a subclass for the Fighter.

1 or 2 would depend most on which fit the character better. I haven’t gotten out of the player if they want to be a mystical character or a more grounded character.

How would you handle this request?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just allow him to replace Dexterity with Strength for his class features.

The end result is better Athletics and worse initiative and Dex saves; since this is not better than the original Monk you should be fine as long as you don't allow Greatweapons as monk weapons.

(In fact, it's arguably worse than the Dex monk)

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

Just allow him to replace Dexterity with Strength for his class features.

The end result is better Athletics and worse initiative and Dex saves; since this is not better than the original Monk you should be fine as long as you don't allow Greatweapons as monk weapons.

(In fact, it's arguably worse than the Dex monk)

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

And then allow any other Dex abilities (such as the Sun Soul monk's range radiant attack) to be based on Wis instead of Dex.

CapnZapp

Legend
And then allow any other Dex abilities (such as the Sun Soul monk's range radiant attack) to be based on Wis instead of Dex.
The gods know the Sun Monk needs it...

But yes - the idea is that any time a Monk ability (but not a general ability) talks about Dex you get to replace that with Strength (or another Monk:ish ability when Strength doesn't make sense).

Be careful to not budge on general Dex usage however. And don't let the player talk you into moving non-Dex features over to Strength either.

Remove ads