Odd things about superheroes...

WayneLigon

Adventurer
yeah, nah both Du Pont and BASF have given up on attempts to make artificial spidersilk and the Germans AMSilk have got a team of 22 scientist using E Coli to grow silk proteins, I don't think that stuff is available on ebay...

No, but it is available from scientific supply warehouses or biotech firms. In bulk.
Plus, Peter is vastly smarter than anyone working at those facilities, too :)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
“Invulnerable” superbeings on occasion encounter and fight beings of comparable or even superior power. Some, but not all, are noted for having regeneration powers as well.

About those who don’t...

What happens when they take a beating short of lethal? Concussion, breaks, internal bleeding, organ failures- all of these are possible outcomes for us mere mortals, and are treatable.

But if the Thing fights the Hulk, and suffers a ruptured spleen, an internal decapitation, a torn ACL, a brain bleed or something requiring internal imaging and surgery to treat, how do they get help?

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
“Invulnerable” superbeings on occasion encounter and fight beings of comparable or even superior power. Some, but not all, are noted for having regeneration powers as well.

About those who don’t...

What happens when they take a beating short of lethal? Concussion, breaks, internal bleeding, organ failures- all of these are possible outcomes for us mere mortals, and are treatable.

But if the Thing fights the Hulk, and suffers a ruptured spleen, an internal decapitation, a torn ACL, a brain bleed or something requiring internal imaging and surgery to treat, how do they get help?

but Thing is made of Rock - there is no Spleen to rupture, and the issue has been looked at a few times hasn't it? There's Superman being operated on using Kryptonite scalpels and the scene in Luke Cage where Night Nurse has to go through his eye socket to get inside his head because she can't cut his skin.

which does beg the question - with those mutants made of elemental stuff (be it gas, water, rock etc) what happens to the food they eat?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
but Thing is made of Rock - there is no Spleen to rupture, and the issue has been looked at a few times hasn't it? There's Superman being operated on using Kryptonite scalpels and the scene in Luke Cage where Night Nurse has to go through his eye socket to get inside his head because she can't cut his skin.

He isn’t made of rock, he has a rocky exterior. We can see his eyes and tongue regularly. As I recall, his blind GF has heard his heartbeat. He breathes. Together, that all implies heretained a normal, though ingredibly durable human-like interior physiology post-transformation.

If the Thing still troubles you, substitute Doc Samson, the Abomination, Thor or another one of his other classic sparring partners.

And yes, it occasionally gets addressed, but not NEARLY as often or thoroughly as it could/should be, given the sheer number of beat downs “invulnerable“ characters have delivered & received.

Ryujin

Legend
He isn’t made of rock, he has a rocky exterior. We can see his eyes and tongue regularly. As I recall, his blind GF has heard his heartbeat. He breathes. Together, that all implies heretained a normal, though ingredibly durable human-like interior physiology post-transformation.

If the Thing still troubles you, substitute Doc Samson, the Abomination, Thor or another one of his other classic sparring partners.

And yes, it occasionally gets addressed, but not NEARLY as often or thoroughly as it could/should be, given the sheer number of beat downs “invulnerable“ characters have delivered & received.

I always end up thinking in terms of the Rifts RPG, SDC and Magadamage, when it comes to invulnerable comic book characters. One of my favourite characters was an invulnerable superhero based anti-hero I called "Stainless", who would occasionally be picked up and used as a blunt object by our party's dragon character, against his will. Comedy generally ensued.

Remove ads