D&D 5E What 5e rule/option/class/item etc. do you regret allowing into your game

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I'm not sure what is supposed to be gleaned from that combo. Attacking with a one-handed weapon for static damage and then using the -5/+10 with a hand crossbow for damage output? Can't be two one-handed crossbows; I suppose that's a tiny bit more damage output than Great Weapon Master. Or, using extra attack with a heavy crossbow and using the -5/+10?
Specifically, it's being able to functionally dual-wield with a single hand crossbow, with each attack benefiting from the -5/+10, and suffering no ill-effects from being either in melee or at range. There's quite a few threads around about it if you want to review the discussion.

Remathilis

Legend
So all elves, then? :)

Sorta. :)

I had intended to run SKT as a clash between the civilized "small folk" the giants, with the typical mix of humans, elves, dwarves, and PHB races with a few oddities from Volo. The problem is, nearly everyone opted for a Volo race so I got a kenku, goblin, kobold, bugbear, orc, etc. which made running parts of the module impossible without wholesale re-writes and changed the entire tenor of the module. So the game spectacularly failed after a few sessions and we're going to retry it again soon, but this time with a strict limit on what races are allowed (PHB = Ok, other races = no more than 1/3rd players in the campaign, monstrous/evil races are DM exception required).

Xaelvaen

Stuck in the 90s
Specifically, it's being able to functionally dual-wield with a single hand crossbow, with each attack benefiting from the -5/+10, and suffering no ill-effects from being either in melee or at range. There's quite a few threads around about it if you want to review the discussion.

Ahh, so they're ignoring the rules for two-weapon fighting because the crossbow expert feat doesn't specifically say melee weapon. Understood - thank you =)

Xaelvaen

Stuck in the 90s
Sorta. :)

I had intended to run SKT as a clash between the civilized "small folk" the giants, with the typical mix of humans, elves, dwarves, and PHB races with a few oddities from Volo. The problem is, nearly everyone opted for a Volo race so I got a kenku, goblin, kobold, bugbear, orc, etc. which made running parts of the module impossible without wholesale re-writes and changed the entire tenor of the module. So the game spectacularly failed after a few sessions and we're going to retry it again soon, but this time with a strict limit on what races are allowed (PHB = Ok, other races = no more than 1/3rd players in the campaign, monstrous/evil races are DM exception required).

Thankfully, this is a general rule at my tables. Best part is, I wasn't the one who introduced it. My players came to me with "We don't think the group with the Dragonborn, Tiefling, Half-Orc, and Two Elves works." I of course feigned surprise, thanked the Gaming Gods, and went on to let them set their own requirements for 'normalcy' in our typical groups. I can't imagine no simple races in SKT, hope your 'reboot' goes well.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Really, the problem with adding fantastic races to a game isn't that they're strange or different or overpowered- I'm not saying these can't be concerns, but I feel the real issue is that they aren't given much in the way of culture. The DM isn't told "this is how this race can fit into your setting without much disruption", the players aren't told "this is how members of this race act and interact with others".

Volo's does devote sections of the book to discussing monster races, but this effort is nothing like what I've seen in the past. Just looking at my copy of Races of the Wild, quite a bit of ink is used to describe history, culture, legends, a day in the life of a member of a new race, and so on. To be fair, the PHB doesn't go into much detail about dwarves and elves, but it really doesn't have to- most people know what an elf or a dwarf is, what their place is in the world, how they act, and so on.

A new race is an opportunity, not a stumbling block...or at least it would be, if the players saw more than half a page devoted to the race.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Ahh, so they're ignoring the rules for two-weapon fighting because the crossbow expert feat doesn't specifically say melee weapon. Understood - thank you =)
Not necessary to rehash here, but it's perfectly legal. CE feat doesn't reference the two-weapon fighting rules at all.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
A new race is an opportunity, not a stumbling block...or at least it would be, if the players saw more than half a page devoted to the race.

I'm actually at this issue right now, specifically with Dragonborn. They were never in Greyhawk before and the question is what to do with them :

1. Ban them, never in before, why start now ;

2. Retcon them in from the beginning, fully integrated;

3. Have Dragonborn be from a different part of Oerth such as Hepmonaland.

4. Have Dragonborn come through a Rift from a completely different world.

I'm partial to 4 because I can integrate it into the start of the campaign and also link it to further adventures.

Sent from my SM-G930V using EN World mobile app

Remove ads