Support Your Local Game Store?

MUKid

First Post
Here's a fun topic to start off the work week... this'll give me something to read online today while I'm slacking.

At GenCon this year, I spent maybe $150 on various gaming products. Some of these were available at my local store, and some aren't. A couple things I bought because they aren't available in the store yet, a couple because I wanted to play them with friends at the con, and a couple just because they were impulse buys.

My local store (I'm friends with the owners) gets really upset with publishers who offer special deals at Cons. They feel that this undermines the store, and is especially low when they (the store) try to support the games with tournaments and demos of the very games being undersold at GenCon. They point out several examples of $100+ sales lost simply because a customer was able to save a few bucks by purchasing directly from the manufacturer at GenCon.

So how do you guys feel about this? I must admit, every year when I come home with my swag, I experience a lot of guilt. This year, I absolved myself a little by buying several things that I saw at GenCon but waited to pick up at the local store when I got home. After all, while I know it's the consumer's right to buy anywhere they can get the best deal, I get a lot of enjoyment out of shopping at my local store and would hate to see them go under because everyone buys products online or at conventions. At the same time, I really like buying new stuff, and GenCon is one place where I can splurge a little year after year, and save myself some cash at the same time.

I know there are some publishers on this board, so I'm wondering how you guys deal with offering special deals to customers at GenCon. Do you do it? Do you feel bad about it? Do stores get angry with you because of it?

So, discuss for my personal entertainment. :)

Edit: fixed a sentence

Last edited:

I buy at my local store more often than not, just because I like it there, and I like to be able to just walk in and pick something up, rather than wait around for it to arrive by ordering it. I know I spend more money that way, but the convenience is worth the price, as far as I'm concerned.

That said, I'll implulse buy other places frequently as well. To me, something like GenCon is all about impulse buys. That's a big part of what it's for. ;)

MeepoTheMighty

First Post
What Joshua said. I already spend a TON at my local game store.

Besides, the owner picked up his copy of AU at GenCon, so he really doesn't have much room to complain. :)

Durifern

First Post
I don´t

Well, I don´t buy at my local game store because it´s way too expensive. In the meantime the line up is pretty good which wasn´t the case a year ago but it´s just too much money. Perhaps I have to add that I only buy "special offer" products for 30% off. Compare that to the price local stores take for their import stuff, then you just don´t have a choice anymore.

But I know what you´re talking about. I always bought my other books at the bookstore.... till amazon came along.

Last edited:

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
I am a big supporter of my local store but this Gencon I went wild, picked up 3.5 books because WotC was giving a book bag away with the purchase, Stargate and Warcraft were impluse, Twin Rose Software because I have been unable to get it, NBOS Mapping program because it is an upgrade, and some DVDs because I never see them anywhere else.

Picked up AU for a fellow worker but that was in hopes Monty would sign it.

Oh, spent some on food, IMAX movie, tourist items - I was on vacation. :)

Wraithdrit

First Post
I am FAR too much of an instant gratification type to buy things online unless I am spending a small fortune and the savings is significant, so MOST always buy at local shops.

I would basically absolve myself of any guilt with a 'if I can buy it locally at comparable prices then I won't buy it at the con'. If I can get it at the con for 30% off then bonus for me for the con. If its NEW and the con has and the local store doesn't, sorry about your luck buddy.

Stores will not go out of business with the amount of money sent to cons. If they keep the demos up, are reasonable people, and can keep a level head, then they will not lose core sales to cons. They might lose hardcore sales now and then, but your average joe gamer does not go to cons (or post on messageboards ... :p)

- Wraith

spacecrime.com

First Post
My local store (I'm friends with the owners) gets really upset with publishers who offer special deals at Cons

This kind of discussion is a real tar baby for store owners, but I'll risk sticking myself with one thought.

Convention sales per se don't bother me. I usually gain more business from "oh look at the cool new thing that came back from Gen Con" than I "lose" from the purchase made there. It all works out in the end.

What tends to annoy me is special deals on new product. If the publisher releases a product at $10, and two weeks later is selling it at conventions for $5 or $1, then that tells me that they don't think it's really worth $10. And if it's not really worth $10, then I don't want to be selling it at $10 -- I want to sell it at the publisher's convention retail price, and I want to pay a wholesale cost that fits the publisher's price. Goose, gander, good for them both.

Anyway, that's the only issue to my mind. If publishers extend their convention deals to the rest of the industry so that retailers can offer similar deals, then I'm a happy camper. If not, then I'm not so happy.

cheers,

Last edited:

Holy Bovine

First Post
I love my local games store (we have 3 in London but only one gets teh love from me!). They have incentive programs for frequent game buyers (not just RPGs but board games too!). A HUGE discount section on 3.0 D&D stuff stuff (30-50% off!) and used games for 1/2 price as well. They always get new stuff in promptly and can order anything and you can expect it within days. Overall the best dang game shop I have ever come across and they also now have gaming space in their basement! (being downtown they have a rather small store but now they have one of the largerst gaming spaces in town!).

If you're ever in London, Ontario check out L.A. Mood's on Richmond St. - you will NOT be dissappointed :)

Wombat

First Post
Rich down at Games Unlimited gets almost all my rpg money -- they only items I don't buy from him are .pdf-only formatted items.

HI RICH! :D

Buy local, support local; give money back to your own community!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases