D&D 5E Party Comparison

Logan Ashkettle

First Post
I am joining a new 5E party with an Arcane Trickster rouge, a dex based ranged ranger, a paladin, a wild magic sorcerer, and a bard. I am looking for advice on whether I should be a Tempest Cleric to help out with the front line and also be able to cast big spells, or be a Barbarian to be the real front line tank, seeing as that seems to be what the party is needing. Any advice??

Croesus

Adventurer
I am joining a new 5E party with an Arcane Trickster rouge, a dex based ranged ranger, a paladin, a wild magic sorcerer, and a bard. I am looking for advice on whether I should be a Tempest Cleric to help out with the front line and also be able to cast big spells, or be a Barbarian to be the real front line tank, seeing as that seems to be what the party is needing. Any advice??

I would play the barbarian, as the party already has plenty of spellcasting and some pretty good healing (bard). The tempest cleric won't do much damage in melee combat, especially once you reach 5th level (no second attack). The barbarian will be good at both inflicting and taking damage.

That said, I've seen both played in games and either should be fun.

guachi

Hero
Barbarians "heal" in the sense they can take half damage from many attacks though they will be hit more if they use Reckless Attack. Fighters can also heal (themselves) using Second Wind.

So even going combat with a Barbarian or Fighter gives you healing of a sort.

Xaelvaen

Stuck in the 90s
Gotta agree with the barbarian suggestions (especially going bear + shield for the tank aspect as you previously mentioned). Halving almost all damage while raging, turning your Battleaxe effectively into a Greataxe while raging, high AC from the shield - all good stuff for your party lacking a 'tank' role.

Logan Ashkettle

First Post
So I should use a shield and a battleaxe over a greataxe? I figured with unarmored defense I could get away with a greataxe to really use the brutal critical once that level is reached.

Last edited:

Xaelvaen

Stuck in the 90s
So I should use a shield and a battleaxe over a greataxe?

I would never say should, rather whichever one you want to influence more; damage or the ability to take damage? Your weapon will basically be like choosing a fighting style as a fighter; you'll be increasing one small facet of your character.

Battleaxe vs. Greataxe: 1d8 vs. 1d12 (average of 4 and 6 respectively). You'd lose 2 damage for 2 AC (an easy trade). But when you incorporate Great Weapon Master later (or at level 1 with Variant Human), that changes the dynamic immensely.

However, don't overlook Shield Master as a good replacement. This allows you to use a bonus action to knock your foe down (thus making it harder for them to get to your allies), and with Barbarians Dex Save advantage, a reaction to negate the damage of Fireballs is strong tank material. I find them equal options.

So, in summary: Battleaxe + Shield + Shield Mastery Feat (for tanking mode, Bear path here too), or Greataxe + Great Weapon Master Feat (for damage mode, with a damaging path here). Just a choice of tank or damage, in all honesty.

Remove ads