Journey To...Mesoamerica

Mesoamerica was a profoundly important region and set of cultures that arose independently in the region stretching from central Mexico to northern Panama. The pre-colombian cultures created powerful civilizations that flourished for thousands of years. Study of the cities and monuments of these cultures suggests these civilizations were on par with those found in South America, Mesopotamia, Egypt, and China. There were many cultures that thrived in the region, including the Toltec, Mixtec, and Zapotec to name just three. However, we are going to look at three of the civilizations most familiar to modern society.

It is the Olmecs, known as the rubber people who first rise to prominence in Mesoamerica. Olmec is the Aztec word for these folk; we do not know what they called themselves. What the Olmec left behind provokes more questions than it answers. Their empire flourished from 1400 to 100 BCE and they may well have destroyed their own capital. Religion, which will be a theme of all these civilizations, plays an important role in Olmec culture. To the Olmecs the earth, the sky, and the underworld were important and those place where they met, like caves or mountains and other natural spots, were sacred. Additionally the Olmec were great builders and left behind cave paintings, pyramids, and the striking stone sculptures of heads or upper bodies. The calendar of later cultures may have been first used by the Olmecs.

Following on the heels of the Olmecs came the Maya people. In addition to their magnificent cities the Maya have an important linguistic heritage. Although much focus is on the Mayan civilization of the Classic period (250 CE to 900 CE), the pre-classic Maya culture made significant progress in city building and other advanced cultural traits such as pyramid construction. As with the Olmecs, the Maya are a deeply religious folk. Kuhul ajaw, the kings or holy lords, acted as mediators between the people and the gods, performing important sacred ceremonies. The Maya calendar of course is something many folk have heard of and this is based on the advances in mathematics and astronomy. This civilization flourished until the late 800s when some mysterious calamity struck the Maya. The cities were slowly abandoned and by the time the Spanish arrive, most of the Maya are living in simple agricultural villages. Whatever the reason for their collapse, the legacy of the Maya has far outlived their civilization.

Perhaps the culture most are familiar with from Mesoamerica, are the Aztecs. Thought to be nomads from the north, the Aztecs established their civilization around their capital of city of Tenochtitlan. With excellent agricultural practices and a powerful military tradition the Aztecs began to dominate the lands and people around them. Under leaders such as Itzcoatl and Montezuma the Aztecs grew to a population of 5 or 6 million. The legacy of the Aztecs has stretched into our modern world in a number of ways. As with the Mayan languages, the Aztec language ,Nahuatl, continues on in many forms today including words adopted by the Spanish and English languages. This legacy, which stretches back to the Olmecs, is very significant to us as storytellers.

How would I incorporate these cultures into play? All seemed to share a profound connection to religion, especially gods and beliefs that included aspects of the natural world. Dragons, in the form of feathered serpents, appear in Olmec sculptures and symbolism, though there are no true records of Olmec myth. Myths surely were handed down to their neighbors however, and the beliefs meshed into subsequent religions. Mesoamerica was a powerful meta culture with a deep spiritual base. As a fantasy or science fiction region it would provide a fantastic base for adventure. Ancient ruins and mysterious precursor cultures enough to full several campaigns, the most interesting legacy may be their understanding of math, astronomy, and the world around them.

Ritual human sacrifice was a staple of life in many of these cultures. Normally we might label this practice as evil, though in the cultural context that may not be true. Instead of shying away from this idea, I would embrace it. I would not do so lightly or in a mocking way, but integrating the idea into your play with the maturity that is called for. This approach is not for everyone, but if you treat the source material and the people with care and consideration in your game, you will find the path that works for you. It might horrify outsiders, but native characters would likely not have any issues with it. Whatever direction you choose, I would avoid a B movie approach to Mesoamerican culture.

Sean Hillman

Sean Hillman

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I reported this and nothing was done about it, that led to continued False statements? Is that civil enough? If a moderator had acted on my complaint, I wouldn't need to respond to being insulted by being harsh.

Do not argue with moderators in-thread, please. You know the rules. Please do not post in this thread again.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Ok. I'll try to be more constructive. I've already said I don't personally approve of it, but if you are interested anyway, at least let me give some suggestions and a little more in-deep info. (I'll be editing this post often over the following days)

First suggestion.- Don't use this as a coat of paint for the same kind of adventures, rather use the ideas to create variations using the flavor you prefer the most. (So basically instead of just making ocetic changes to go for exotic flavor, use some of the principles and ideas as inspiration to twist your campaigns, even if they remain nominally "European/Tolkien Fantasy")

On Anahuac.- According to Frank Díaz, it could be translated as "surrounded by water", instead of "near the water". And in this meaning it applies to most of what we know as Mesoamerica.

On Aztecs, they were a very developed culture and quite sophisticated.

1)They had universal schooling. Not universal literacy, as their language was complex enough in writing, but every child, poor and noble, boy or girl had to go to school.

2)They considered lethal warfare to be barbaric. The greatest warriors had fame and renown for their ability to best and capture their opponents, not for their ability to kill. If you could only kill, you were an awful warrior.

3)Their legal system was very developed and even modern at times. They had due process, presumption of innocence, and kept written records of all trials. By law they had a limit of eight months to rule on any process. The process was faster the worse the crime.

4)The clan was life, losing it was Death. The mexica-alcohua-tecpaneca society was very collectivist. People were organized in calpulli (commonly translated as barrios or neighborhoods, but more accurately they were clans). People of the same calpulli lived together, fought wars together, paid tributes together,worshipped together the same gods, shared the land and normally shared the same occupation. With exceptions for specialized jobs like priests, midwifes and chiefs of the clans. Without the clan, the individual was defenseless and destitute. To be expelled from the clan was a death sentence and not a good death. There was no way to join a different calpulli. Except for extraordinary cases in which it was done for alliances, nobody married outside the clan.

5)Family life was important. The only thing more impotant than the clan was family. Not marrying was not an option. Men had to marry before thirty or face ostracism and risk expulsion. Only priests and priestesses were exempt from this obligation,but they were to remain chaste. Children had to go to school, help in the house and learn the family trade/work the family plow. Men could only independize after marriage, and they couldn't do it before finishing their education. Divorce existed, upon which the couple split the children and the wife returned to the parental home. Levirate was common.

6)Tlamemeh were just above indentured servants and conquered people. Tlamemeh carried the goods during trade expeditions. This was a backbreaking labor, as they had to walk long distances with heavy loads all day long, everyday. (The derivative word Tameme still is in use in modern day México, it is used often in jest, tongue-in-cheek between close friends, but it is derogatory so don't ever ever use it with strangers, as it has connotations similar to calling someone else "slave")

7)Pochtecs were like ninjas.Pochtecs were the merchant class. They were the children of other Pochtecs and regular people that were accepted and could finish an expedition. Since some of the most successful pochtecs basically gained most of the perks of nobility sans the actual nobility, this was a kind of social mobility. But they weren't just merchants. They were also diplomats and warriors, as the roads were dangerous. And they were also spies, saboteurs and assassins, carrying out missions given by the government.

8)Culture was oral. One's word was serious business. Most of the day to day business was conducted through verbal contracts.History tradition abd poetry were all preserved through oral account. Even then.

9)Scribes were key to the functioning of society. Scribes (tlacuhilli) were trained in the calmecac. Not many knew how to write, as you needed drawing and composition ability on top of a lot of initiated knowledge (a good portion of it is lost). Tlacuhilli recorded tributes, judicial processes and trials, long scope contracts and compiled religious books and tonalamatl (calendars) which themselves were key to the organization of society: To name newborns, allow marriages, program ceremonies, plan the planting and harvest. Etc.

10)Archeologists. Aztecs practiced archeology, they wanted to learn about the the great cultures of the past they modeled their society after. They conducted expeditions to the ruins of Teotihuacan and what we know as Tulla/Tollan -And I say this because Tula/Tollan means city or civilized place. You can still find tons of places called Tula in modern day México-.

Last edited by a moderator:

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
I still don't get why you think I'm lying. ( really I do speak spanish. I just don't do it anymore because it's against forum's rules. But trust me I've used Spanish in the past and may even fetch some links to it. I've even clarified some of the stuff I posted earlier. Notice that the document I linked tio comes from Instituto Nacional de LENGUAS INDIGENAS it isn't a catalogue of Spanish dialects). Anyway some sources

Historia del Derecho Mexicano. ( A lot of pages in the early chapters are dedicated to the Aztec empire)
https://www.porrua.mx/libro/GEN:978...arco-antonio-perez-de-los-reyes/9789706139108

Anything by Frank Diaz.

http://diazfrank.blogspot.mx/?m=1

Famsi ( for codices. Some books explaining part of the stuff. Most is in French and German though and is dated)
http://www.famsi.org/mayawriting/codices/index.html
On more in deep stuff. El codigo oculto de la greca escalonada by Mauricio Orozpe.

Some fiction (not entirely accurate but well researched and entertaining)

Tlacaelel el azteca entre los aztecas. Manuel Velazco Piña

Azteca (and sequels). Gary Jaenings.

Some of the other stuff I learned by visits to Museo del Templo Mayor, Teotihuacan, Cuucuilco, MNAH, and Museo de Azcapotzalco. Some other because it was commin to have tons of aztec legends in the National Gratuite Textbooks and I've met many speakers of Mexicano. And some other stuff comes from books published by the IIA (Antropologic Research Institute) but the journals and books are in short press runs and you are not likely to find them outside the IIA bookshop or special events)

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases