D&D 5E [5E] Need help with multiclass timing for one character and general building for another

IamSkeleton

First Post
Hi.
First character is a level 4 Half-Elf Dragon Sorcerer i decided to multiclass into Warlock for 3 levels, but i'm not sure when i should do it.
I have three options in mind:

- I do it right now ( Sorc to 4 > Lock to 2 > Sorc to 8 > Lock to 3 > Sorc to 17 )
- I go to Sorc 5 first for Fireball/Haste ( Sorc to 5 > Lock to 2 > Sorc to 8 > Lock to 3 > Lock to 17 )
- I go to Sorc 8 first for Greater Invisibility/Polymorph ( Sorc to 8 > Lock to 3 > Sorc to 13 )

Second character is a Shield Master build i'm just not sure how to build.
My idea for this character comes from a group that needs me to play a frontline meatshield, but everytime i play a martial character i do some kind of PAM build because of how good it is and i feel the need to do something different, so a Shield Master came to mind.
I think i should start with Bear Totem Barbarian and multiclass into either Fighter or Rogue and have some fun knocking people prone and attacking/grappling, but it's all ranged characters besides me and the Cleric.
Should i go with this concept? If yes, how should i build it exactly? If not, i'm open for suggestions, what other character might might work better? ( The party is a Life Cleric, Sorcerer, Bow Ranger and me. Everything but UA is allowed. )

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
EDIT: Welcome to ENWorld. Have some welcome XP. I hope the below doesn't come across to hard - I'm just not sure what bit of warlock you're looking to for the payoff.

First character is a level 4 Half-Elf Dragon Sorcerer i decided to multiclass into Warlock for 3 levels, but i'm not sure when i should do it.

- I do it right now ( Sorc to 4 > Lock to 2 > Sorc to 8 > Lock to 3 > Sorc to 17 )
- I go to Sorc 5 first for Fireball/Haste ( Sorc to 5 > Lock to 2 > Sorc to 8 > Lock to 3 > Lock to 17 )
- I go to Sorc 8 first for Greater Invisibility/Polymorph ( Sorc to 8 > Lock to 3 > Sorc to 13 )

Level 3 spells is quite the power up. I wouldn't jump out there.

Why do you want 3 levels of warlock? That will help identify when is the best time to take it. Is it for just a good Eldritch Blast - but three more levels of sorcerer will provide a lot more slots so you'll be using cantrips for damage less. Are you trying for something like Darkness & Devil Sight? What you want it for and what levels that bonus will be most useful are important parts of when you should take it.

You're seriously gimping your primary class (1.5 levels of spell slots and high level spells known - in other words you'll be well behind what is on-par for the foes you will be facing in the main thing your class does) for the warlock levels, how do the warlock benefits synergize with the sorcerer to make up the hit?

Also 3 levels and then missing the ASI at 4th will permanently leave your character lagging 3 levels in terms of ASI/feats, which could be a big hit. Of course, that then puts you a full 2 spell levels behind.

Sorry if this seems negative - in general I see 3 levels of warlock as depowering your character, so without understanding what you are getting out of it I can't recommend when if the best / least harmful to take it.

My idea for this character comes from a group that needs me to play a frontline meatshield, but everytime i play a martial character i do some kind of PAM build because of how good it is and i feel the need to do something different, so a Shield Master came to mind.
I think i should start with Bear Totem Barbarian and multiclass into either Fighter or Rogue and have some fun knocking people prone and attacking/grappling, but it's all ranged characters besides me and the Cleric.
Should i go with this concept? If yes, how should i build it exactly? If not, i'm open for suggestions, what other character might might work better? ( The party is a Life Cleric, Sorcerer, Bow Ranger and me. Everything but UA is allowed. )

A grappling barbarian works well, but unlike weapons it take a full action to doff a shield so having a hand free to grapple could be a problem. On the good side, Shield Master really shines when you have both STR and DEX, and a barbarian will likely fit the bill very well.

I wish I could take credit for this, but a paladin with shield master and 3 (or 4) levels of Champion can be an interesting crit-fishing build. Shove prone with shield master for advantage, with champion that's 19% chance per attack to crit. And your crits will multiply your divine smites, so even a 1st level slot will give you +4d8 damage if spent on a crit.

Last edited:

MatsuKurisu

First Post
I have built a shield and axe barbarian I enjoy. Human (Variant - Shield Master).
Level 1 Barbarian, Lv 2 Rogue (Expertise Athletics!), Lv3+ Barbarian
Key is being able to Shield Master - Bonus Action Shove prone BEFORE melee attack (check with your DM)
Sets up continual advantage for melee attacks for Large or Smaller targets
Good tanking with HP and AC
Simple to play, however lots of fun.
You can also grapple (see grappling guide in this forum for tricks)

juggerulez

First Post
Hi.

Warlock calls for survivability, sorcerer for pure blast power, so I advice not to multiclass unless you really need to.
IF you really need it, though, I'd never stop prior to level 5 sorc (f'balls are a must for AoE encounters) and I'd go up to 6 too, since it makes you apply your charisma to output damage as well (rendering Eldritch Blast no longer a "best in slot").

I never MC classes that benefit significantly from higher slots. Warlock is sweet if you need a plethora of lower level slots (e.g. Bless stackers)

about the meat shield: you should choose between "the quicker they go down the least I need healing" and "the more avoidance (damage resistance, temp hit points, etc) I own, the least heals I'll require". Any paladin with shield, defender and high Con will do, unless you want the min max sauce, in which case we can address this down the road :)

Remove ads