"We Demand Service!": Players Expecting NPC Handouts

Fauchard1520

Adventurer
Have you ever noticed how some players expect good-aligned NPCs to help them for free?

"Alright Mr. Priest man. We're both holy guys. My cause is just. Now give me unlimited free heals."

I write about this issue a little bit over here, but I'm curious about your experience. Have you ever encountered a player with a "the world owes me freebies" attitude? How'd it work out?

jasper

Rotten DM
It varied. If I thought the NPC knew the cause would help good, then free heals for everyone. But other times, the group had to pay up or leave the candy store. The world owes me freebies was very common when I was playing with a mixed group, or I just wanted to played. Once I decide not to play with problem players I had less trouble.

Yaztromo

Explorer
It sometimes works doing the very opposite: the world asking all the time for freebies from the characters in the very same way and, if they refuse, the disgruntled NPCs will eran the PCs a bad fame, preventing this way other NPCs to give freebies to the PCs.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
I've noticed how some NPC's ask the characters to undertake very dangerous tasks...but refuse to give them any amount of aid towards accomplishing this supposedly important job. :p

S

Sunseeker

Players will always push to get the most, with the least effort. I mean isn't that true of human nature? I think in large part it stems from a lot of NPCs asking players to go on incredibly dangerous tasks for very little reward, and also low player investment.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I've noticed how some NPC's ask the characters to undertake very dangerous tasks...but refuse to give them any amount of aid towards accomplishing this supposedly important job. :p

Well in a PBP game we are doing we were sent on a dangerous quest by a wizard who entirely refused to pay us anything - there should be treasure there. So my rogue Udit stole his silverware...

edit: to be fair, he has *helped*. But he isn't paying.

... maybe he's just hoping to get his silverware back?

[MENTION=59816]FitzTheRuke[/MENTION]

Yeah, I’ve seen PCs want the NPCs to provide all sorts of aid, to the point that the PCs would become superfluous to the adventures.

I don’t mind the requests for freebies – some NPCs will do so, depending on the situation, some will want compensation, and others won’t/can’t lift a finger to help. But the PCs are supposed to be the center of the campaign. When they start asking NPCs to do the heavy-lifting, that acts counter to the spirit of that. “And the heroes sat by while the powerful wizard saved the day. The end.” isn’t going to be fun for anyone.

Yama Dai O

First Post

Or worse yet: "Oh, you need equipment? Excellent, let me charge you for the privilege of heading into the monster lair to save our town."

Remove ads