Middle Earth d20 Site

GruTheWanderer, while your 3rd age Galadriel is fine, this of second, and ESPECIALLY 1st age, is definately too weak, first age Noldor were very powerful. I would make 1st age Galadriel 15th level, second 18, 3rd 20th.

Wolfspider, what magical skills would you give to Denethor and Ringwraiths? By the way there is an interesting thread about Noble PC Class in House Rules Forum, started by Kaptain Kantrip.

Wolfspider

Explorer
Thanks for the heads up!

I think Denethor would have mainly Divination magic, relating to his use of the Palantir.

I'm not sure about the Ringwraiths. I may take a cue from the old MERP books and base their individual magic powers on the statistics there. Not sure yet.

lobo

First Post
Revised Ranger

I have altered the PHB Ranger slightly due to personal dissatisfaction. I have changed the special enemy game mechanic. I have added five bonus feats from a carefully chosen list. The changes I have made correct some of the issues I have with the PHB Ranger without drastically increasing its overall power. Fighters are still the kings of combat. Barbarians and Paladins can easily hold there own against my version of the Ranger. I did not step on the Rogues territory by increasing the amount of skill points. What I did do by selecting the feats is allow players to aid the Ranger in its key class abilities such as: tracking, wilderness skills, alertness skills, and favored enemies. The other incidental change that occurs involves freeing up the normal character feats for must likely combat.

RANGER
Alignment: Good only.
Hit Die: As PHB
Class Skills: As PHB
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: AS PHB
Spell progression: As PHB
Spell list: Includes PHB, MOTW, and Monte Cook's Ranger spell list
Saves: As PHB
BAB: As PHB

TABLE: The Ranger

Level Special
----- ------------
1 Track, 1st favored enemy, bonus feat
4 Spells, bonus feat
5 2nd favored enemy
10 3rd favored enemy, bonus feat
14 bonus feat
15 4th favored enemy
19 bonus feat
20 5th favored enemy

Track: A ranger gains Track as a bonus feat.

Favored Enemy: At 1st level, a ranger may select a type of creature as a favored enemy. Due to his extensive study of his foes and training in the proper techniques for combating them, the ranger gains his wisdom bonus to weapon damage rolls against creatures of this type. A ranger also gets the damage bonus with ranged weapons, but only against targets within 30 feet (the ranger cannot strike with deadly accuracy beyond that range). The bonus doesn't apply to damage against creatures that are immune to critical hits.

At 5th level and at every five levels thereafter (10th, 15th, and 20th level), the ranger may select a new favored enemy.

Bonus Feats: A Ranger gains a bonus feat at levels: (1, 4, 10, 14, 19). These bonus feats must be drawn from the following list: Alertness, Ambidexterity, Animal Affinity, Endurance, Extra Favored Enemy, Favored Enemy Critical, Favored Enemy Strike, Forester, Great Fortitude, Horsemanship, Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes, Run, Sharp Eyed, Stealthy, and Supernatural Blow.

A Ranger must still meet all prerequisites for a feat, including ability score and base attack bonus minimums.

Table: Ranger Favored Enemies
Type
· Aberrations
· Animals
· Beasts
· Constructs
· Dragons
· Elementals
· Fey
· Giants
· Humanoid type
· Magical beasts
· Oozes
· Outsider type
· Plants
· Shapechangers
· Undead
· Vermin

* Ranger Bonus Feat Clarifications:

Alertness (+2 Listen +2 Spot),
Animal Affinity (+2 Animal Empathy +2 Animal Handling),
Forester (+2 Wilderness Lore, +2 knowledge Nature),
Horsemanship (+2 Handle Animal + 2 Ride)
Sharp Eyed (+2 Search +2 Spot),
Stealthy (+2 Move Silently +2 Hide)

GruTheWanderer

First Post
Galadriel

LordMelkor{Talos} said:
GruTheWanderer, while your 3rd age Galadriel is fine, this of second, and ESPECIALLY 1st age, is definately too weak, first age Noldor were very powerful. I would make 1st age Galadriel 15th level, second 18, 3rd 20th.

Hi LordMelkor,

I appreciate the comment, but I'm not sure if I agree. Very little mention is made of Galadriel doing anything in the Silmarillion, thus it would be hard to imagine her having a high level. She could still be powerful in influence and abilities without being a 15th level character.

Spider, Colonel,

You've got my votes. I don't know anyone else on the list, but I'm impressed by your enthusiasm and even-handedness.

Gru

GruTheWanderer

First Post
Re: Revised Ranger

lobo said:
I have altered the PHB Ranger slightly due to personal dissatisfaction.

Table: Ranger Favored Enemies
Type
· Aberrations
· Animals
· Beasts
· Constructs
· Dragons
· Elementals
· Fey
· Giants
· Humanoid type
· Magical beasts
· Oozes
· Outsider type
· Plants
· Shapechangers
· Undead
· Vermin

Hi Lobo,

Not sure if this ranger is specifically intended for Middle Earth, but if it is you may want to take a close look at the favored enemy lists. Based on the monsters present in Middle Earth, I changed my list to:

Animals
Beasts & Magical Beasts
Dragons
Giants
Humanoid (choose elf, dwarf, hobbit, human, or orc) *
Maiar
Plants
Undead & Constructs
Vermin

Otherwise your ranger seems reasonable. Are you taking away the bonus to bluff and sense motive for favored enemies and the increasing level of damage?

Derek

lobo

First Post
Revised Ranger

Hi Lobo,

1. Not sure if this ranger is specifically intended for Middle Earth, but if it is you may want to take a close look at the favored enemy lists. Based on the monsters present in Middle Earth, I changed my list to:

Animals
Beasts & Magical Beasts
Dragons
Giants
Humanoid (choose elf, dwarf, hobbit, human, or orc) *
Maiar
Plants
Undead & Constructs
Vermin

Yes, for Middle Earth your list is far better and I would use it and recommend it highly. In the near future I hope to create a Mithgar website and I am retooling classes to fit Mithgar. Mithgar has a lot of similarities with Middle Earth.

2. Are you taking away the bonus to bluff and sense motive for favored enemies and the increasing level of damage?

Yes, I find the favored enemy bonus system flawed. The system I suggest is to allow the Ranger's wisdom bonus to damage for favored enemies. This is easy to apply and encourages Rangers to have higher wisdom. As far as the bonuses to skills go, I hated the idea that you could get a bonus to skills you do not have. My fix is simply the five bonus feats based on the carefully chosen list. For instance your Ranger takes the stealth feat you get a +2 on hide and move silently, any time any where, easy to apply and use. Also on the chosen feat list are favored enemy feats from Monte's list and MOTW. By selecting the bonus feats the player can easily compensate for the loss of skill bonuses to the favored enemy ability, plus the game mechanic to administer the favored enemy ability as I wrote it is far easier.

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
There have been updates

Hey gang. Just wanted to let you know that there have been a few updates at the ME site (link in my sig). Check out Campaigns for a very cool ME timeline that has RPG campaigns in mind, and look in the classes section for a link to Ken Hood's Bushfighter, which could make a very good ME Ranger class. There is more material to be posted, so stay tuned.

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Help wanted!

We are in need of an assistant or two for Palcadon - who, after completing the Herculean task of getting the site coded and posted, has been inundated with work and other real-life stuff - in updating and maintaining the Middle Earth d20 site. Basically, we need someone who can put new material into HTML format, including the source code from the site. Palcadon can then upload it. I've been trying to figure out HTML, but it's been slow going and I'd rather the site didn't go dormant while I learned it. Contact Palcadon or myself if you can help out (our e-mail addresses can be found at the site).

At this time, the amount of new material submitted has begun to slow down, so we could probably get away with updating every 2 weeks, perhaps monthly.

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
About submissions on this thread

I keep forgetting to mention this; sorry.

If you are submitting something to the Middle Earth d20 site by way of this thread, please clearly indicate so your post. Otherwise, I'll assume you're simply posting it for discussion, and would rather not have it posted.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases