Middle Earth d20 Site

Doug Justice

First Post
Decipher release schedule

Hey folks, Matt Colville posted this release schedule over at Decipher's website. I'm really looking forward to this game. The mechanics sound similar to d20.

Core RPG: June
Limited Edition (same as the Core book, but with a natty cover and maybe a slipcase) July
Narrator's Screen: August
Hero's Journal (basically character sheets and places to record data) August
The Fellowship of the Ring Sourcebook: Sept.
Fell Beasts and Wonderous Magic: October
The Two Towers Adventure Game (another intro set, this time for the second movie) November
Moria: December
The Two Towers Sourcebook: January 2003

Doug

Harlequin

First Post
Hi

I just wanted to ask if and/or when a compiled pdf
of all the stuff on the site will be done and avialable?

I think this would be a great idea for people like
me who are too lazy to go searching all over the web
for information :D

The Netbook of D20 Middle Earth

I want it!

Harlequin

GruTheWanderer

First Post
Places and a Suggestion

Hi All,

The Places page on the ME website is sadly empty, but I'm not sure what sort of information would be useful there. Any ideas?

I've got one suggestion for anyone wanting to create dwarven cities (Moria, Nogrod, Belegost). The fourth module of the original Dragonlance series (DL 4: Dragons of Desolation) has a wonderful set of sixteen dwarven city blocks which can be rotated, stacked, and tiled in many ways to construct a great variety of locations. I'm using it right now in my campaign.

The module is available from WOTC as an ESD for $3.50. For $5 you can get the first four modules together as an ESD.

Derek

P.S. The Dragonlance modules were my first DMing experience, so they still hold a certain fondness for me.

GruTheWanderer

First Post
Re: Decipher release schedule

Doug Justice said:
Hey folks, Matt Colville posted this release schedule over at Decipher's website. I'm really looking forward to this game. The mechanics sound similar to d20.

Hi Doug,

Thanks for the info. I'm looking forward to seeing this stuff. Too bad I'm leaving for Japan in June. Might be harder to get it internationally.

Derek

GruTheWanderer

First Post
Re: Hi

Harlequin said:
I just wanted to ask if and/or when a compiled pdf
of all the stuff on the site will be done and avialable?

I think this would be a great idea for people like
me who are too lazy to go searching all over the web
for information :D

Hmmm, since you've already admitted to laziness, it probably doesn't make sense to ask you to make the compilation. :)

Seriously, I don't think anyone is planning on compiling the info anytime soon. Check out Wolfspider's download Middle Earth for D20 for a lot of info in one document.

Derek

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Re: Places and a Suggestion

GruTheWanderer said:
Hi All,

The Places page on the ME website is sadly empty, but I'm not sure what sort of information would be useful there. Any ideas?

I've got one suggestion for anyone wanting to create dwarven cities (Moria, Nogrod, Belegost). The fourth module of the original Dragonlance series (DL 4: Dragons of Desolation) has a wonderful set of sixteen dwarven city blocks which can be rotated, stacked, and tiled in many ways to construct a great variety of locations. I'm using it right now in my campaign.

The module is available from WOTC as an ESD for $3.50. For $5 you can get the first four modules together as an ESD.

Derek

P.S. The Dragonlance modules were my first DMing experience, so they still hold a certain fondness for me.

This is a good idea. I also suggest finding Axe of the Dwarvish Lords, which contains a highly detailed map of a Dwarven stronghold.

The Places section is one that I will eventually begin working on myself, but I was hoping others would have begun sending in material. I think that brief overviews of important realms and regions of Middle Earth which are suitable for getting up to speed those who haven't read the books, or have only seen the film, would be the kind of thing we'd need. Also, I would love to see more detailed looks at smaller areas, with adventure hooks and maybe details like NPCs and monsters. Moria is a good example, but places that are only mentioned in the books, but which seem good areas for adventuring nonetheless - the Withered Heath, Grey Mountains, Ered Luin, Mount Gundabad - are also good targets.

GruTheWanderer

First Post
Prestige Class: Illuminator of Varda

Hi All,

One of my players is playing a disciple of Varda (cleric) who is focused on destroying undead.

We took a look at the Hunter of the Dead and Sacred Exorcist in Defenders of the Faith, but neither was quite right. We decided to combine the two classes to make another alternative for those who fight the undead.

Your feedback would be appreciated.

-----------------------------------------
Illuminator of Varda

Prerequisites:
Any good
Base will save +4
Knowledge (Valar) 8 - replaces Knowledge (religion) in ME
Extra Turning

Hit Die: d8
Class Skills: Con, Heal, Know (arcana), Know (Valar), Listen, Sense Motive, Spot, Search, Spellcraft
Skill Points at Each Level: 2 + Int modifier
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Simple weapons
Attack bonus: as mage
Strong save: Will

Class Features:
Spells per Day: +1 level of existing class each level
Turning: +1 level of existing classes each level

1 - Prestige domain: Glory - +2 to turning check and +1d6 turning damage
1 - Detect undead at will
2 - Spurn death's touch (as Hunter of the Dead) - double Wis bonus to Will saves against undead
3 - Undead foe +1 (as Sacred Exorcist) - bonus to Spot, Listen, Sense Motive, Bluff, Listen, and caster level checks to overcome spell resistance
4 - Extra Turning
5 - Consecrated presence (as Sacred Exorcist) - as consecrate spell but emanating from self continually
6 - Undead foe +2 (as Sacred Exorcist)
7 - Extra Turning
8 - Positive energy burst 1/day (as Hunter of the Dead) - 1d6/lvl sacred damage in 100ft radius
9 - Undead foe +3 (as Sacred Exorcist)
10 - Extra Turning
-----------------------------------------

Like the Sacred Exorcist, this prestige class is a spell-casting class rather than a fighting class. Their disadvantages compared to clerics are low Fort saves and base attack as a mage. All their advantages are targeted against undead (even the domain ability of the Glory domain).

Illuminators could make excellent use of Divine feats (by 10th level they will have around 20 turning attempts per day) and Heighten/Empower turning.

Derek

GruTheWanderer

First Post
Ethereal plane

After rereading some of the forums, I was struck by the comment that Tolkien's spirit world is a lot like the ethereal plane. My players recently encountered incorporeal undead, and the impression was strengthened.

In my original ME spell lists I restricted ethereal jaunt and etherealness, but now I'm reconsidering. What do you think?

Derek

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Interesting point. I'd say go with your gut on it. If it feels right, put 'em back in. Rename them, something like "Visit Spirit World" or some such. By the way, read "The Flight to the Ford" again, where Frodo confronts the Nazgul at the Ford of Bruinen. Compare how Tolkien describes the Spirit World when Frodo puts on the Ring to the description of the Ethereal Plane in the spell descritption. Very similar.

The more I look at it, I think I need to revise my restricted spell list too.

Last edited:

Remove ads