Things you never thought were wrong with 3.0 until 3.5 came out.

Melkor

Explorer
I bought 3.0 the day it came out. I played various campaigns and one shot games for a solid 2 years.

I never had any problems or ran into anything that I considered to be a major issue with the 3.0 rules. Granted, we never played much further than 6th to 8th level, and there were a couple of times when I thought that bull strength was pretty awesome, but nothing that ever made me say: 'This is broken'.

Now that 3.5 is out, I read about all of these things that were 'fixed' or 'balanced' and I'm thinking - 'hmmmm, didn't seem that bad before'. DRs, Monster CRs, Balanced Spells, Streamlined Skills, Streamlined (or easier to understand) Combat, Monsters as Player Characters (this one I did see some problems with in 3.0, but I figured Savage Species cleared those up).....

Anyway, I was perfectly content with 3.0....but 3.5 coming out is like me living in a cave and never knowing anything else existed outside of the cave....then taking me up on top of a tall mountain and showing my the countryside around the cave - and telling me I can't live there....It's back to the cave. Bad analogy (opening myself up to all kinds of questions about why I was in the cave, how bad my eyes were affected by the light when I was brought out of the cave, etc., etc., etc.), but you get what I am saying - I didn't know it was broke until I saw how it was fixed.

I have already bought the 3.5 books, but I hate looking at all of that 3.0 stuff on my shelf that is either invalidated or required some serious work to use with 3.5. Kind of depressing.

/Rant Off

Psion

Adventurer
Melkor said:
I have already bought the 3.5 books, but I hate looking at all of that 3.0 stuff on my shelf that is either invalidated or required some serious work to use with 3.5. Kind of depressing.

I feel the same way -- except that I haven't accepted defeat. The 3.5 books are the newbies here that have to prove themselves. I'm going to keep using all my 3.0/d20 stuff that I know works and pull in 3.5 stuff I happen to think will work better (rangers, harm, haste, that sort of thing.) Everything else has to convince me on it's own merit's, or it's going to be sitting there unused along with all the third party publisher stuff that had me saying "what were they thinking?"

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Psion and I see eye to eye most times, but I will say of his list three-four of those 3.5 items on his list I know I won't be using either. Might use AU IF I ever get it...but only wholesale not parceling. We'll see.

Eldragon

First Post
When 3.0 came out, it was easy to force everyone in my group into the new system, it was too different from 2.0. It was only a few months ago that everyone in the group finally had their own phb. Getting everyone in my group to get 3.5 phb's is out of the question. Most of the rules in 3.5 I like I had rule zeroed long before 3.5 was on the lips of the tipsters. (Im not going to get into which rules i like/dislike, to spare the thread from the heated debate that will never die). The remaining rules changes I like are too hard to get everyone to adopt and remember. i.e. You are going to look this one up a lot, and there are not enough 3.5 books to go around. The SRD only goes so far as a replacement for a physical book.

So now there are more than a few rules that I would like to adopt, but will have to wait (and of course there are a few where I am planning on physically cutting out the new rule, and pasting in the original 3.0 rule).

Sanackranib

First Post
it's kind of ironic that I am the only one in our group (aside from my wife) who doesn't have the 3.5 books. I say its ironic because I run the game :D a lot of the changes I had houseruled
before 3.5 even came out, so Now I am stuck with the unholy 3.25
version until funds permit the full upgrade :eek:

krunchyfrogg

Explorer
Sanackranib said:
it's kind of ironic that I am the only one in our group (aside from my wife) who doesn't have the 3.5 books. I say its ironic because I run the game :D a lot of the changes I had houseruled
before 3.5 even came out, so Now I am stuck with the unholy 3.25
version until funds permit the full upgrade :eek:

Damn man, make the players chip in!

extra XP for the big spender who gets the books without help from the others! ;)

Dash Dannigan

First Post
Melkor said:

You obviously don't play Star Wars d20 then LOL. We SWd20er's live with this everytime a new Star Wars movie comes out. :rolleyes:

Iced Tea

First Post
krunchyfrogg said:

Damn man, make the players chip in!

extra XP for the big spender who gets the books without help from the others! ;)

ya, i was tired of loaning my friend my dmg so i just went and bought him one (mainly cause i have some money to spare which makes others think i have a lot more that i do) and lent it to him, and just waited for him to pay me back. Never did, so i was stuck with two dmg's, i decided to give it to him for his birthday :D. take that! (i think i also gave him some other stuff but meh it was a while ago)

Iced Tea

First Post
now for the double post....

For my group(s), there are about 3 running campaigns, in all but one we are going to play 3.5 and in that special one we will do a hybrid by just taking in 3.5 but still use al the hundreds of dollars of 3.5 (like classes and et cetera, but keep the spells or some of them) it will eventualy shift to 3.5 in the end i believe. my brother is just really sad to see his 30 (over-estimation) 3.0 books go to waste. (i suggest people give their 3.0 books to the homeless children playing with hand-me-down 2.0 books ;)

Urbannen

First Post
(i suggest people give their 3.0 books to the homeless children playing with hand-me-down 2.0 books

I actually know a kid (not homeless) that got 2.0 as a hand-me-down from his gamer aunt after 3.0 came out.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases