D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Rules Update Booklet (BoVD, Savage Species, Arms & Equipment)

Melkor

Explorer
As many of you know, WoTC has a 3.5 update book available for download at the following link:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20030718a

This doesn't include info for any of the class splatbooks, Stronghold Builders Guidebook, Book of Vile Darkness, Savage Species, or the Arms & Equipment Guide.

What would this lead me to believe about those products ?
1. They are done. Completely incompatible with 3.5.
2. The will get a future update.
3. They don't need an update, and work perfectly 'as is'.

Opinions ?

gfunk

First Post
IMHO, Stronghold Builder's Guide and Arms & Equipment guide were essentially throwaway products.

They were supplements published during slow times in the release schedule. This way WotC could at least make some modicum of profit.

Book of Vile Darkness was a marketing ploy.

Savage Species was meant to fill a niche that many gamers wanted filled. SS, at least, attempted to apply some 3.5 rules (albeit haphazardly).

In the end I see absolutely no support for any of these products. Frankly, there is little profitability to be had.

Personally, I think that's a darned shame b/c I really enjoyed SS.

The Little Raven

First Post
As a DM, I found all of the books useful.

I used a lot of the rules from the BoVD and SS to build a truly evil villain that grew in power alongside the player characters, allowing me to use a powerful creature from 1st-level.

The Stronghold Builder's Handbook and the A&EG served me well to arm him and his cohorts.

Anubis

First Post
I'm with Mourn. If you wanna use the products, it's easy enough to make them compatible yourself. I would rather they NOT re-release all the books altogether.

James McMurray

First Post
Maybe I'm taking a Troll's bait, but I have to respond.

gfunk said:
IMHO, Stronghold Builder's Guide and Arms & Equipment guide were essentially throwaway products.

They were supplements published during slow times in the release schedule. This way WotC could at least make some modicum of profit.

The Stronghold Builder's Guidebook has been a great product for me. I have used it to modify several places in adventures, and will be using it to design the party's base of operations once they earn it.

Book of Vile Darkness was a marketing ploy.

Maybe. Maybe not. It's still a higly useful book for any DM wanting to add an extra bit of depravity to his villains.

Savage Species was meant to fill a niche that many gamers wanted filled. SS, at least, attempted to apply some 3.5 rules (albeit haphazardly).

I wish they had just put an LA on every single creature in the new MM, but they didn't. In any case though, the section on monsters as classes is excellent for those wanting to play a creature but whose campaign starts out at lower than the ECL.

Remove ads