North Texas RPG Convention Refuses To Listen To Harassment Concerns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Harassment in gaming is getting more and more attention as gamers are making the stand that they will not support sexual harassment, the harassment of the LGBTQ+ or people of color. In the latest controversy over dealing with harassment at conventions, the North Texas RPG Convention, a self-styled old school gaming convention, has decided to take a stand against those in the tabletop RPG hobby who have been harassed at conventions and other spaces.

After people emailed the convention organizers to voice concern that alleged harassers Frog God Games CEO Bill Webb and former TSR editor and designer Frank Mentzer were being kept on the rolls as special guests at the next North Texas RPG Convention. One of the organizers of the convention made the following public statement in response to these concerns: "So here is my stance on the subject: Everyone is allowed to come to the Con." He then went on to say "I don't care if a member of ISIS or the most wanted person in a [sic] America comes to the Con, as long as they are there to game, and everything is about gaming. I have asked people to leave the Con when I find them debating politics and/or religion at the gaming table. (so what do you think I'd do if I observed any sexual harassment ?) Thus anything not gaming related can get you removed from the Con."

Here are screen shots of post, for those who don't want to click through the above links.

More conventions, gaming and otherwise, are taking a stance to protect those who attend them by crafting policies against harassment. Gen Con's harassment policy, from the Gen Con website, is simple: "Gen Con: The Best Four Days in Gaming! is dedicated to providing a harassment-free Event experience for everyone, regardless of gender, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, religion, or affiliation. We do not tolerate harassment of convention participants in any form. Convention participants violating these rules may be sanctioned or expelled without refund at the discretion of show management." Other conventions have written policies making it an expellable offense to touch other convention goers without their permission.

Pelgrane Press, publisher of games like Trail of Cthulhu and Night's Black Agents has created a harassment policy for officially sanctioned events at conventions or stores. "We want conventions to be safe and inclusive spaces for all gamers. Unfortunately, we know of too many instances where our colleagues, customers and friends have been harassed or made to feel uncomfortable at gaming conventions. We believe strongly that having a policy in place which explicitly censures harassing behaviour, and provides a clear procedure for reporting any such incidents, creates a safer and more welcoming environment for people at the greatest risk of harassment." Their policy goes on to say "As such, Pelgrane Press will not exhibit at, or provide support for, conventions which don’t have a publicly posted and enforced anti-harassment policy." Other publishers are taking this path, in order to make sure that their fans are safe while playing their games at conventions or in stores as well.

There is more to safety at a convention than slips and falls. Making sure that convention attendees are not harassed physically, emotionally or sexually is just as much of a safety issue as any other physical concerns. Not only that, by not making a strong stand against potential harassment sends a message to women, the LGBTQ+ and people of color that their safety is not as important to the convention as that of other people. It makes it hard to state that all people are equally as welcome to a convention, when the convention refuses to make policies that will protect everyone at a convention.

Hussar

Legend
Umm, as someone running a public convention, don't they have some responsibility in vetting those they specifically invite (as opposed to people who just show up - you can't vet them) as guests? And, even after learning about the history of the guests, insisting that there is nothing you can do rings awfully hollow.

As I said, it's one thing to try to vet every single convention goer. That's impossible, nor should you even try it really. But, we're not talking about some random person who bought a ticket to attend. This is a guest of the convention, and their participation is being advertised.

I took a second to google the convention website and this is right on the front page:

We have the following confirmed guests at this time ( Wolfgang Baur, Bob Bledsaw Jr., Jason Braun, Jeff Dee, Chris Clark, Matt Finch, Ernest "Skeeter" Green, Allen Hammack, Kevin Hendryx, Mary Hendryx, Jack Herman, Tim Kask, Doug Kovacs, David "Diesel" LaForce, Stephen Marsh, Frank Mentzer, Erol Otus, Steve Perrin, Stefan Pokorny, Dr. Dennis Sustare, Jim Wampler, James Ward, Bill Webb, Steven Winter ). The lineup usually includes several of the more important figures in the history of RPGs as a whole and Dungeons & Dragons in particular.

If you're using those names to drum up business for your convention, aren't you somewhat responsible to ensure that those people are the people you want associated with your convention?

If that's what he means to say, that should be what he said instead of rambling about ISIS and the FBI most wanted and child molesters in Walmart and bragging about now knowing who the president is. He doesn't need to write "voluminous rules" because, well, Chris posted a one-sentence long anti-harassment policy from another convention.

And this isn't "potential attendees", this is invited guests. Like the convention is paying money to bring these people to the convention and advertising their presence there as a selling point.

Amongst all his "rambling" he said no sexual harassment or other behavior infringing on other people would be tolerated. Does he need to define each potential offence? As for their status as special / invited guests, I have no clue about any money, agreements, etc. between them. He indicated anybody who offended would be ejected without exception. His extended discourse on people with objectionable pasts was intended, I believe, to indicate that people were welcome as gamers, and only gamers. I find sexual harassment extremely objectionable. And contemptible. The question is what excludes an individual from our society, as gamers or otherwise, how long does that exclusion last, and what, if anything, can redeem them. Is this something for law enforcement or social exclusion (and who writes the rules on that). I'm not qualified to make that judgment. If you don't want to be in their company, vote with your wallet and don't be there. I don't think I would want to meet either of them, but then, I'm not.

Abstruse

Legend
Amongst all his "rambling" he said no sexual harassment or other behavior infringing on other people would be tolerated. Does he need to define each potential offence? As for their status as special / invited guests, I have no clue about any money, agreements, etc. between them. He indicated anybody who offended would be ejected without exception. His extended discourse on people with objectionable pasts was intended, I believe, to indicate that people were welcome as gamers, and only gamers. I find sexual harassment extremely objectionable. And contemptible. The question is what excludes an individual from our society, as gamers or otherwise, how long does that exclusion last, and what, if anything, can redeem them. Is this something for law enforcement or social exclusion (and who writes the rules on that). I'm not qualified to make that judgment. If you don't want to be in their company, vote with your wallet and don't be there. I don't think I would want to meet either of them, but then, I'm not.

Except he doesn't state that harassment will not be tolerated. He said that anything that wasn't gaming wouldn't be tolerated and backed that up by effectively threatening to shoot people. I mean literally, his statement is

I carry a weapon at all times, sometimes more than one. [...] Should the need arise to protect someone, I'll be one of the first to put myself between the attacker and the victim. It's who I am.

The question is not what "excludes people from society". This is the fourth time today I've had someone say this. The question is "What is your policy about these two people who, very recently, have been accused by multiple people of unacceptable and dangerous behavior in the exact same setting?"

In fact, we as a society have decided. If you have committed certain types of crimes against certain types of individuals, you are banned from locations that are related. For example, if you are on the sex offender registry, you cannot go to a daycare because that is where children are. Using that analogy (which is one someone else brought up to defend Rhea previously), this is a daycare publicly stating, "Sex offenders are welcome! Come look at our sex offenders, aren't they awesome?"

And yes, both Bill Webb and Frank Mentzer would be paid guests by the convention. It's in the statement from their website: "[FONT=&quot]If people don't sign up for someone's games, then if they are a Special Guest, I can't afford to invite them back on my dime if they are not filling their games (that's an easy protest)..."[/FONT] Also, Frank Mentzer confirmed that his travel and hotel expenses were being paid by the convention to be a guest on a Facebook post on this subject.

Staccat0

First Post
It’s weird for a con organizer to blatantly lie in order to convince me that they are trash at what they do. Imagine if someone applied this dimwit’s logic to any other thing in life.

”I don’t care if he is in ISIS!”
”Yeah alright sit down”

It’s crazy that people in this hobby could somehow suffer from a lack of empathy and lazy “whataboutism.” Probably a lousy RPer to boot, hah.

Last edited by a moderator:

S

Sunseeker

Sounds to me like a zero tolerance for harassment or other offensive non gaming related activity to me. This is a small con run, apparently, by two guys who may not have time, or desire, to write voluminous rules or screen all the potential attendees. And I don't see him penalizing victims as well as perpetrators. He said as much. As for the further comments, I'd say its his reply to people complaining about his lack of a stated policy.

I find it odd that anyone running a con would not have explicitly stated rules. You hardly need voluminous rules, I believe the words "Zero tolerance of sexual harassment." to be only 6 words long. If he has a zero-tolerance policy, why not put that in writing? There is absolutely no gain to not having a written policy. It provides legal protection. It provides something attendees can agree to by entering. It provides a uniform code by which people can be fairly judged to be in violation of.

His comments sound a lot like stereotypical Texan bravado. "People will do what I say because I'm in charge and I have a gun!" That's not a con or a policy I would feel comfortable attending, and it is understandable why others may not as well.

Except he doesn't state that harassment will not be tolerated. He said that anything that wasn't gaming wouldn't be tolerated and backed that up by effectively threatening to shoot people. I mean literally, his statement is

I carry a weapon at all times, sometimes more than one. [...] Should the need arise to protect someone, I'll be one of the first to put myself between the attacker and the victim. It's who I am.

His statement, from the repost above, was:
"Should get the point, all the rest is frivolous ... I will not tolerate sexual harassment, nor will I tolerate any other type of infringement of someone's personal space, rights, freedoms or otherwise. read that how you will. (did anyone read that line... it's the point of this entire post here on this forum.... everything else above and below is frivolous, but you guys like drama)"

The question is not what "excludes people from society". This is the fourth time today I've had someone say this. The question is "What is your policy about these two people who, very recently, have been accused by multiple people of unacceptable and dangerous behavior in the exact same setting?"

In fact, we as a society have decided. If you have committed certain types of crimes against certain types of individuals, you are banned from locations that are related. For example, if you are on the sex offender registry, you cannot go to a daycare because that is where children are. Using that analogy (which is one someone else brought up to defend Rhea previously), this is a daycare publicly stating, "Sex offenders are welcome! Come look at our sex offenders, aren't they awesome?"

And yes, both Bill Webb and Frank Mentzer would be paid guests by the convention. It's in the statement from their website: "[FONT=&amp]If people don't sign up for someone's games, then if they are a Special Guest, I can't afford to invite them back on my dime if they are not filling their games (that's an easy protest)..."[/FONT] Also, Frank Mentzer confirmed that his travel and hotel expenses were being paid by the convention to be a guest on a Facebook post on this subject.

It being the fourth time someone has brought this up might be an indication of uncertainty. And while we do block convicted offenders from some locations I was unaware of any convictions in these cases or any laws forbidding their being at a convention. I don't condone their behavior; far from it. I'm not ready to be judge, jury and social executioner on offensive behavior. YMMV.

Honestly, I understand you concerns and its the choice I would make as an individual. But, there is a question about behavior, punishing it without trial, the reasonable consequence for that behavior, and the duration of any sanction that I believe should be up to the individual -- barring legal action.

Last edited by a moderator:

Abstruse

Legend
His comments sound a lot like stereotypical Texan bravado. "People will do what I say because I'm in charge and I have a gun!" That's not a con or a policy I would feel comfortable attending, and it is understandable why others may not as well.

As a Texan, I feel the need to defend us...but at the same time, yeah, that post is basically Peak Stereotypical Texan.

However, if you're looking for a Texas gaming convention that's similarly-sized (sub- or near-1000 attendees), a stellar guest list of industry professionals, and a strong gaming-first focus that also has a strict and strictly enforced anti-harassment policy (and weapons policy for that matter), has women and LGBT involved in organization and promotion, and is polite and professional when responding to questions/comments/criticisms? I highly recommend ChupacabraCon in Austin, TX.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
"Refuses To Listen To Harassment Concerns" is not a good, or accurate, title for this article. I mean, it lures people in like click-bait, but like most click-bait it then is a switch to a less hyperbolic set of facts in the actual report. I sincerely hope front-page articles on this site do not go further down that click-bait road. The world doesn't need more of that.

MackMcMacky

First Post
All this "industry professional" talk is silly. He stated his job is in IT. He runs the con as a hobby. He is purposefully keeping the con small. He said he wouldn't tolerate anything besides gaming. I would think people would be smart enough to know sexual harassment is not gaming. Please, stop pooping on someone else's party and stop dictating to others how to deal with all the ills of society. Maybe, just maybe, other people have different notions of how to solve problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases