Help me challenge my 14th level party

Eye Tyrant

First Post
My group finished "Sunder the Demonblade" (Dungeon Magazine #97) last night.

Spoliers

In this adventure they encountered a Marilith, a Half-Fiend/Minotaur, and a Balor (I admit to adjusting the Balor a bit mid-game to give the PCs a chance). My problem is we (myself included) are "tired" of fighting Demons and the like (we just played two of the three adventures in Demons and Devils from Necromancer Games). I'm trying to think of the next good challenge for them and could use a little help.

The PCs:

Doobull Lengie Vazoom 13th Level Gnome Illusionist CN
Veronias Human 6th Level Fighter/7th Level Weapons Master NE
Thorik 13th Level Dwarven Fighter NE
Gruglak 13th Level Half Orc Cleric CE (War & Strength Domains)
Roscoe Greenbottle 13th Level Halfling Rogue CN

They are based in a prominently "shadey" port city-state that uses the city of Cauldron from the same Dungeon issue as a template (I made vast changes to the atmosphere and politics of the city and renamed it Dargoth's Cauldron).

As of yet none of the PCs have any hard core long term goals.

Ideas are appreciated.

Last edited:

Planesdragon

First Post
Ghosts and an army

Illed, a ghostly enchanter with a hatred of (target) and a reason to believe that the PCs are affiliated with (target), has co-opted the army of a not-too distant kingdom, and set them to attacking the PCs.

Illed, a 13th level enchanter in life, has a high enough charisma to posess or charm any officer or solider in the army that he wishes.

A good measure for the army would be one 11th level NPC general and four 9th level NPC officers, each of which with the leadership feat. (You could also give Illed the leadership feat--with a charisma well over 20, he'd have a rather large leadership score. He might even have ghost followers, who possess the walking soldiers (who could then not be part of an amry) and fight alongside common undead.

I bet your players would be rather challenged by the sight of a goodly or neutral army fighting alongside undead. ;)

Sarellion

Explorer
Are there any NPCs with long term goals in Cauldron who you can use as an employer/patron for a high level group?

By the way your group alignment would suggest some nice celestials as enemies... ;)

BSF

Explorer
Is the Rogue a Guild Thief?

If not, the Guild could get wind of the PC and put out word on the street that the PC, and all associates are "fair game" and that anyone that takes care of them will be rewarded appropriately.

Sure, they are high enough level that the small fry can't touch them. But, that's fine. They off a bunch of lower level NPC's and start to get suspicious of what's going on. Given their alignment, it isn't likely they will run off to the proper authorities. They will just take care of the problem personally.

Setup the Guild to be hard to locate with a few higher level NPC's that can challenge them. They will have to locate the Guild to have the contract rescinded. In the meantime, the bounty will probably go up as the group begins to track down the Guild. This will attract more NPC's looking to cash in on the reward. An Assassin here, a Shadowdancer there. The underworld will become very much aware of them pretty quickly and there will be political maneuvering to get out of the line of fire. Eventually, the Guild might be wiped out and there will be a power vaccuum in the city.

It shuold make for some nice problem solving & roleplaying opportunities with plenty of combat. The group will probably start off pretty confident, then get a little paranoid when people keep popping up out of nowhere to take care of them. Then, they will get very angry and finish the problem. They might then decide to strongarm the city for a reward for taking out the thieves guild. This may, or may not work.

In the meantime, lots of evil NPC's will disappear from the campaign. Which lets you bring in a whole new power structure. Then, you have a new scenario lined up, the PC's have achieved a certain degree of notoriety and a group of Good Heros has heard about them ....

Larry Fitz

First Post
What kind of evil things have they done? Anything that might be inspiration for low level parties to start adventuring over? My idea is that if they have accomplished some sort opf evil goal (even if it was just a by-product of whatver they were doing) then have a group of good NPC's seek out the evil doers and attempts to smite them and undo the wrongs they've wrought. After your PC's make mincemeat of them, the uncle of one of them (a paladin of some reknown) decides to "look into" the untimely death of his niece. When he finds and takes stock of the group he sets about exposiing them for the evil doers they are and turning the forces of Law and Goodness against them.

Keith

First Post
It must be particularly tiring for an evil party to fight demons all the time; what will they gain, really?
At 13th level, the Fighter and Cleric must be regarded as major menaces. It is high time that a warparty of 20 or so Paladins was dispatched (by whomever) to put an end to such a dangerous force for evil.
Have them hounded near and far, with no rest. Should get challenging pretty quickly. Life for high level evil characters should be one bad day after another. Er, no pun intended.

takyris

First Post
Paladins might be dull -- they're awfully straightforward. Why not some group like the FR Harpers -- a semisecret organization dedicated mainly to good? You've got a legitimate reason for the folks to want the PCs dead, and they can be secretive and sneaky about it, too, instead of just riding in and shouting, "What ho, brigands!"

A group that consisted of a CG rogue, bard, holy liberator, and then their friend, one of those CG celestials (Ghaeles?), the ones that work behind the scenes? They don't even have to attack the PCs right out in the open -- they just have to start pulling strings. Suddenly, evil groups are attacking the PCs for their allegiance to a secret organization of which they are not actually members. It's part of some ugly guild war, and the PCs have to get themselves out safely by eliminating the high-ranking members of both guilds. When the dust settles, the PCs are tired, one guild is destroyed, another is weakened, and the CG group got this group to do all the work for them. :)

ForceUser

Explorer
13th level - congratulations. Your party is at prime monster-stomping levels now, and you can afford to take the gloves off. Giants are great around this level, and some cool low-level monsters can be advanced and given templates and character classes, which is a lot of fun for a DM.

The Greyhawk game I play in is also 13th level. Keeping in mind we have 7 characters, here is what the DM has thrown at us recently:

*A pair of adult green dragons
*A mindflayer with levels of psion, a hezrou demon, two babau demons, and six hill giants (same fight)
*Ten spectres
*A 14th level lich wizard
*Fifteen advanced fire-templated trolls
*Nine ettins, five fire giants, and a fire giant sorcerer

Eye Tyrant

First Post
Thanks for all the ideas. A little more info on the group...

We have only been running this group for 3 adventures (started them at 13th Lvl) and they will be leveling up to 14th before the next session.

I have Dargoth's Cauldron set up has a kind of Mos Eisley port city. Lots of nasty personalities and evilness to be found. The city is ruled by a governing council, this council has a spokesperson, and that is Gillard DeRosan (straight outta TBoVD). DeRosan is a Ari6/Cleric10/Discipleof Asmodeus4. His evil influence has been felt throughout the city and is not too much of a change to the original power structure, which was also very nefarious. DeRosan has his own (yet unknown) agenda, but is the main "employer" of the party. They have yet to meet DeRosan, and probably will not for a while.

There is also a Blackguard10/Paladin8 (yes, the nastiest kind) by the name of Magnus Mortheim that acts as the Captain of the city's defenses. Magnus acts as bodyguard and all around muscle for DeRosan.

Then there is Mistress Davania Nos, Overseer of the Tower of Wizardry, a NE Wizard13/Archmage5 (think Tower of High Sorcery from DL). The Tower's policy is that moral and ethical compunction be left at the door.

The Thieve's Guild is headed by Isley "Iceman" Coles, a LE Rogue10/Assassin8. And no, the PC Rogue is not a member...

All of the PCs activity/employment for DeRosan has been mediated by Fazzini, one of DeRosan's stoolies... As of yet Fazzini is the only one the PCs know about. They have been recovering three parts of a "key". The last "part" was the Demonblade from the adventure in Dungeon #97.. It is now in the PCs posession and they will be headed back to Dargoth's Cauldron on a two week sea voyage (Illusionist w/ Conjuration & Necromancy prohibited = no Teleportation spells).

Now what this "key" is or what it "opens" I have not yet decided...

That's a little more info to go on... If anyone has some more ideas...

sensate

First Post
Since your party is mostly evil why not have them fighting celestials instead of demons. Dragon magazine had an article a while ago about "when good goes bad" about PC conflicts with devas and such.

Remove ads