WOIN [WOIN] WOIN Character Assistant, a character creation tool

Awesome!

I just pushed out an update that adds the missing career description box and updates the skills dialog to show you what your available skills are for the race/homeworld/career. :)

dickie

First Post
Most excellent!

Seems to be totally working for me now - Great work!

Quick (broader) question though....
I notice that in the Acolyte origin one of the skills is mediation ... At first glance I assumed this must be meditation..
But I've looked at the Rules Reference Document http://www.woinrpg.com/origins/ and it says mediation there too - but as this also lists limguistics [sic] could it be that these are both typos?
I don't have OLD so I can't check (and I know you don't have the answer - just throwing it out there)

Many thanks again - I'm having great fun with this

Most excellent!

Seems to be totally working for me now - Great work!

Quick (broader) question though....
I notice that in the Acolyte origin one of the skills is mediation ... At first glance I assumed this must be meditation..
But I've looked at the Rules Reference Document http://www.woinrpg.com/origins/ and it says mediation there too - but as this also lists limguistics [sic] could it be that these are both typos?
I don't have OLD so I can't check (and I know you don't have the answer - just throwing it out there)

Many thanks again - I'm having great fun with this

I think it is a typo, thanks for pointing it out. On a related note, there is so much information to parse with the WRRD (that's not a bad thing!) that I ended up tackling it in a semi-automated way. My methods were far from perfect and I'm sure there's going to be some (read: a lot) of typos with spelling and punctuation. I'm rambling now. Any time you see anything strange, please don't hesitate to point it out. I fixed what I was able to catch, but there's plenty left that I missed.

The GUI itself isn't super attractive, however I think it's pretty decent for a first-timer! That being said, I'm open to suggestions on that as well. :) (Man, the edit skills interface is ugly. I'll have to take another look at it. :x)

I still need to ponder how I'm going to tackle the DEFENSES portion of derived statistics. If I can get that hammered out, I'd love to take a whack at letting users add and track equipment/items.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I got it working correctly, I think! I had to redownload the whole package, as the update option didn't do it, but got there in the end! I'll pay around with it a bit more later. Its looking super awesome!

dickie

First Post
Ha - to be honest I was pretty excited by the command line version... so any kind of gui is just super-advanced!

It's brilliant to hear that you're planning on expanding.
Anything that helps scaffold the character creation is a great thing I reckon (TBH I haven't even played the game yet... I'm having so much fun creating characters...)
(that's rather sad I know)

If I spot any typos where's best to let you know? Here or your github?

I got it working correctly, I think! I had to redownload the whole package, as the update option didn't do it, but got there in the end! I'll pay around with it a bit more later. Its looking super awesome!

Last night I couldn't sleep, so I worked on trying to package it up into a standalone app. I was successful! Updating may not be as easy as letting a tool grab it, but it has the advantage of having all of the dependencies included. Sorry you had to go through the painful stuff with us, Morrus! You're a pioneer!

Ha - to be honest I was pretty excited by the command line version... so any kind of gui is just super-advanced!

It's brilliant to hear that you're planning on expanding.
Anything that helps scaffold the character creation is a great thing I reckon (TBH I haven't even played the game yet... I'm having so much fun creating characters...)
(that's rather sad I know)

If I spot any typos where's best to let you know? Here or your github?

If I had to pick, GitHub would be best. You could create an issue that I can see and reference directly when committing code updates. :)

dickie

First Post
Nice one - will do...

In terms of suggestions though..(I could put this on your github too).. have you considered a print to PDF button function?
not sure about the complexities but it would be smart to be able to have a nicely formatted hard copy character sheet...

Moon/Stick.... Can/Worms... etc

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I think for the purposes of calculating defenses, it’s probably simplest (though maybe not easiest to program?) to have the system just use the highest value of any valid options. Alternatively, you could just have the user tell the system which to use.

Nice one - will do...

In terms of suggestions though..(I could put this on your github too).. have you considered a print to PDF button function?
not sure about the complexities but it would be smart to be able to have a nicely formatted hard copy character sheet...

Moon/Stick.... Can/Worms... etc

I do plan on having a way to print out to a text form. A pretty PDF may be possible, but I'll leave that for the future once I get the other things ironed out. :)

I think for the purposes of calculating defenses, it’s probably simplest (though maybe not easiest to program?) to have the system just use the highest value of any valid options. Alternatively, you could just have the user tell the system which to use.

I was going to have the user specify what skills would be taken into account for calculating defenses. Speaking of which, I wouldn't mind some clarification on the intended rules for MELEE DEFENSE.

The section about skills has (use one) in the title. The WRRD states "For MELEE and RANGED DEFENSE, you may use acrobatics, dodging, or foresight." Later on, it says that melee weapon skills can be used for MELEE DEFENSE but not RANGED DEFENSE. This means that a person could use, say, acrobatics OR swords for their MELEE DEFENSE, but not both, correct?

Remove ads