WOIN [WOIN] WOIN Character Assistant, a character creation tool

daniiren

Explorer
Now that sounds intriguing! What does a combat simulator do?

That sounds pretty cool. Is it meant to help track/resolve combat?

The plots I posted in the threads on heavy armor and AP/HP rounds were all made using this code. At its core it rolls many thousands of dice to see what happens on the average, but it should be pretty extendable to deal with round-to-round affairs. It currently requires modifications of the code to change the scenario it's simulating, which isn't the most user-friendly of interfaces. Maybe over the up-coming US holidays I'll get around to putting it in a sufficiently-finished state.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Hey Morrus, I just pushed out an update that (hopefully) will give more information when errors happen. At your convenience, would you mind grabbing a new copy?

This is what I get now:

Main menu:

1. Launch WCA
2. Update WCA
3. Repair WCA

0. Exit

> 2

WCA could not update properly. If this is caused by edits you have made to the code you can try the repair option
STDOUT: b''
STDERR: b'fatal: Not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): .git\n'
Press enter to continue.
=================================
WOIN Character Assistant Launcher

Main menu:

1. Launch WCA
2. Update WCA
3. Repair WCA

0. Exit

> 3
The repair has failed.
STDERR: b'fatal: Not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): .git\n'
Press enter to continue.

This is what I get now:

Main menu:

1. Launch WCA
2. Update WCA
3. Repair WCA

0. Exit

> 2

WCA could not update properly. If this is caused by edits you have made to the code you can try the repair option
Press enter to continue.

Main menu:

1. Launch WCA
2. Update WCA
3. Repair WCA

0. Exit

> 3
The repair has failed.
Press enter to continue.

Ah ha! That makes sense. I've updated the code to account for situations where the user wasn't yet linked to the github repository. This should be the last time you have to grab the code the old, boring way. :) Your assistance is invaluable. I don't have a lot of testers to highlight the bugs yet!

Another question: you had mentioned that the information in the program was pre-errata. For the most part, it looks like the data I pulled from the WRRD was already updated to reflect the errata (woo-hoo!). Is there something in particular that you found was not up-to-date? I'd love to amend those inconsistencies.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Ah ha! That makes sense. I've updated the code to account for situations where the user wasn't yet linked to the github repository. This should be the last time you have to grab the code the old, boring way. :) Your assistance is invaluable. I don't have a lot of testers to highlight the bugs yet!

Main menu:

1. Launch WCA
2. Update WCA
3. Repair WCA

0. Exit

> 2

WCA could not update properly. If this is caused by edits you have made to the code you can try the repair option.
Error message: fatal: Not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): .git
Press enter to continue.

Another question: you had mentioned that the information in the program was pre-errata. For the most part, it looks like the data I pulled from the WRRD was already updated to reflect the errata (woo-hoo!). Is there something in particular that you found was not up-to-date? I'd love to amend those inconsistencies.

Offhand, the hook/descriptor still works the old way (with a hook attribute). That may be it, actually; I can't recall noticing anything else.

Oooh, I see some derived statistics have arrived!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
One tiny suggestion (though I think you have this well in hand, and no doubt have this planned) is to show the dice pools for the attributes and skills next to the values. And maybe include the actual exploit text in the character view?

Main menu:

1. Launch WCA
2. Update WCA
3. Repair WCA

0. Exit

> 2

WCA could not update properly. If this is caused by edits you have made to the code you can try the repair option.
Error message: fatal: Not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): .git
Press enter to continue.

Offhand, the hook/descriptor still works the old way (with a hook attribute). That may be it, actually; I can't recall noticing anything else.

Oooh, I see some derived statistics have arrived!

Could you run the repair option? That should fix things up. (I also just changed the error message so that it tells the user to run repair in this case. :blush:)

One tiny suggestion (though I think you have this well in hand, and no doubt have this planned) is to show the dice pools for the attributes and skills next to the values. And maybe include the actual exploit text in the character view?

Yes, I can absolutely do that. Great suggestions! I'll put that on my todo list. :)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
And maybe show the descriptor and max dice pool at the top? eg. A young erudite Felan burglar who likes modern art (6d6)

(I"m not trying to tell you what to do - feel free to ignore me!) :)

Bingo! We have liftoff! :)

Awesome!

I think I just understood what you and the errata text meant about the hook. Instead of having an attribute assigned to the hook (say, intuition), if any attribute check is related to the hook, then dice explode. Am I understanding this correctly?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Awesome!

I think I just understood what you and the errata text meant about the hook. Instead of having an attribute assigned to the hook (say, intuition), if any attribute check is related to the hook, then dice explode. Am I understanding this correctly?

That's the one. I think that basically means you don't have to code anything!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases