WOIN [WOIN] WOIN Character Assistant, a character creation tool

Dalamar

Adventurer
Defense is a dice pool, and like all other dice pools, it comprises of Attribute + Skill + Equipment. So yes, only one skill.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I was going to have the user specify what skills would be taken into account for calculating defenses. Speaking of which, I wouldn't mind some clarification on the intended rules for MELEE DEFENSE.

The section about skills has (use one) in the title. The WRRD states "For MELEE and RANGED DEFENSE, you may use acrobatics, dodging, or foresight." Later on, it says that melee weapon skills can be used for MELEE DEFENSE but not RANGED DEFENSE. This means that a person could use, say, acrobatics OR swords for their MELEE DEFENSE, but not both, correct?

Correct. Although obviously they can only use swords when they're using a sword.

Awesome, thanks.

I just pushed out another update. :)
  • DEFENSE derived statistics are here!
  • You can set your character's size in the Race tab. This is taken into account for Carry and MELEE/RANGED DEFENSE
  • You can set the skills used for calculating DEFENSES. This pulls from your character's entire skill pool. This is pretty open ended, so it's up to you if you want to follow the rules. ;)
  • The program now keeps track if changes have been saved or not. It will warn you of unsaved changes when creating a new character, opening, or quitting. This dialog will probably change in the future to be more in line with traditional save dialogs.

I should sleep, now!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Quick question -- what's this box for?

Screen Shot 2017-12-02 at 11.34.31.png

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It was working well, but when I got to my 4th career (engineer) and tried to add the career exploit I got this:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/Users/russellmorrissey/Desktop/wca-master/lib/gui/wca_frame.py", line 1645, in set_career_exploit
list_source = self.user_character.career_track[career_track_index]['Exploit']['Source']
KeyError: 'Source'
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/Users/russellmorrissey/Desktop/wca-master/lib/gui/wca_frame.py", line 1645, in set_career_exploit
list_source = self.user_character.career_track[career_track_index]['Exploit']['Source']
KeyError: 'Source'

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I set my MELEE and RANGED defence skills to dodging (which I have at 3d6) but it didn't change my DEFENSE scores.

Plus the "set Sfense Skills" button is over the top of my MELEE DEFENSE.

Screen Shot 2017-12-02 at 11.44.03.png

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Other little things I noticed (BTW, I think this is awesome!)

My zero-g speed doesn't take into account my zero-g skill.

Stats don't have dice pools showing.

The Exploits window on the Overview is very small and you need to use the scroll bar to see more than a few lines.

Descriptor no longer appears now it's a GUI.

INITIATIVE just says "3" rather than "3d6".

Perhaps add perception?

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
OK, now the defences are showing correctly. I'm not sure what I did differently! But it seems OK now.

Same with the zero-g speed.

I'm not sure but I think it only updated when I went and did something else (set a trait I think) and came back to the overview.

The available skills box should look like this:
change_race_dialog2.png

Mac Mini is coming today so I'll be able to troubleshoot more effectively!

• I'm not sure what's going on when you hit that error with the career exploit. I'll need to do some investigation.
  • The descriptor being gone is because I haven't re-implemented yet. I'll come back to it!
  • Good catch on the INITIATIVE and (lack of) PERCEPTION. I was up until the wee hours of the morning so all the neurons weren't firing. :blush:
  • I think you're right about the DEFENSES not updating until you did something else. I bet I forgot to tell the program to update after the skills were set... Yep, that's exactly what happened. D'oh!
  • I totally forgot about the stat dice pools, good catch there.
  • The "overview" tab got more crowded than I anticipated. I may have to change the format and opt for something wider rather than taller. There's still some formatting quirks that seem to vary from system to system, as you've seen with the button placement with DEFENSES.

M3woods

Explorer
Agh! Somebody help. I can't get this to work. I keep getting a popup stating there's no program associated. It was working fine and then I grabbed the latest version and now nothing. I've uninstalled all instances of python-related things. Looks like my problem is wxpython; I can't figure out how to install that. What am I missing?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases