WOIN [WOIN] WOIN Character Assistant, a character creation tool

Holy cow, it's finally done. There's some polish to be done, but the GUI should be usable. Let's have a moment of silence for the text interface.
Okay, moment's over!

Sad thing is that it adds another dependency. The base GUI toolkit that came with Python didn't cut it for me. I ended up using wxPython. If you have Python installed (and the PATH variables set up correctly), you can open a terminal/command prompt and type:
Code:
pip install -U wxPython
to install the wxPython dependencies. Then you should be able to launch the fancy new GUI with the launcher (provided you updated)! The text interface is deprecated and won't work anymore. Rest in peace!

Dalamar

Adventurer
I get the following error when trying to set the Exploit for Nerd and Wizard's Apprentice. Whether that is with all Origins, or just those two, I do not know.
Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "D:\Programs\WOIN CA\wca-master\wca_gui_wx.py", line 1387, in set_career_exploit
    list_source = self.user_character.career_track[career_track_index]['Exploit']['Source']
KeyError: 'Source'
Beyond that, it seems great so far. Only thing that I noticed is that I don't know my available skill choices from Race/Career when I get the Edit Skills window.

I get the following error when trying to set the Exploit for Nerd and Wizard's Apprentice. Whether that is with all Origins, or just those two, I do not know.
Code:
  File "D:\Programs\WOIN CA\wca-master\wca_gui_wx.py", line 1387, in set_career_exploit
    list_source = self.user_character.career_track[career_track_index]['Exploit']['Source']
KeyError: 'Source'
Beyond that, it seems great so far. Only thing that I noticed is that I don't know my available skill choices from Race/Career when I get the Edit Skills window.

I had to make some changes to the way character information is stored. Are you using an old character file loaded up or are you doing this with a new character? I'm not able to reproduce this myself.

Good point about the skill choices not being visible. I'll add that to the list. I also discovered I forgot to display the career descriptions in the add career window. :x

I don't know how to do this. Where do I type this stuff about installing u wxpython?

On Mac, you'll want to open the Terminal application. Applications > Utilities > Terminal. That's where you'll type the bit about
Code:
pip install -U wxPython

Dalamar

Adventurer
I was using a new character. I'll see about reproducing the error when I'm back on my computer.

For me, installing wxPython required navigating to my Python installation folder and there Scripts before running the above command.

Sent from my PLK-L01 using EN World mobile app

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
On Mac, you'll want to open the Terminal application. Applications > Utilities > Terminal. That's where you'll type the bit about
Code:
pip install -U wxPython

It didn't like that:

Russs-iMac-3:~ russellmorrissey$ pip install -U wxPython
-bash: pip: command not found
Russs-iMac-3:~ russellmorrissey$

I was using a new character. I'll see about reproducing the error when I'm back on my computer.

For me, installing wxPython required navigating to my Python installation folder and there Scripts before running the above command.

Sent from my PLK-L01 using EN World mobile app

That would be great. Run the updater and see if you're on the latest version. If it still happens, let me know everything you can: character race, homeworld, any careers that may have been added before those origins.

It didn't like that:

-bash: pip: command not found

Try:
Code:
/usr/local/bin/pip install -U wxPython

If it still says pip not found, you can try running the following to install pip:
Code:
sudo easy_install pip
and then rerunning
Code:
pip install -U wxPython
afterward. Apologies, I don't have a Mac to refer to at the moment. I'll see about picking up a cheap Mac mini so I can rectify that. :)

Dalamar

Adventurer
Of note is that I don't use the automatic updater (too lazy to install git), so I grab updates by hand. Seeing as I am now unable to replicate the error, I must conclude that I must've extracted the newest version on top of the old one, leading to corrupted data. That, or something had not properly finished installing before I restarted my computer.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
OK, progress. But we're not winning yet:

Collecting wxPython
Using cached wxPython-4.0.0b2-cp27-cp27m-macosx_10_6_intel.whl
Collecting six (from wxPython)
Using cached six-1.11.0-py2.py3-none-any.whl
Installing collected packages: six, wxPython
Found existing installation: six 1.4.1
DEPRECATION: Uninstalling a distutils installed project (six) has been deprecated and will be removed in a future version. This is due to the fact that uninstalling a distutils project will only partially uninstall the project.
Uninstalling six-1.4.1:
Exception:
File "/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/pip-9.0.1-py2.7.egg/pip/basecommand.py", line 215, in main
status = self.run(options, args)
File "/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/pip-9.0.1-py2.7.egg/pip/commands/install.py", line 342, in run
prefix=options.prefix_path,
File "/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/pip-9.0.1-py2.7.egg/pip/req/req_set.py", line 778, in install
requirement.uninstall(auto_confirm=True)
File "/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/pip-9.0.1-py2.7.egg/pip/req/req_install.py", line 754, in uninstall
paths_to_remove.remove(auto_confirm)
File "/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/pip-9.0.1-py2.7.egg/pip/req/req_uninstall.py", line 115, in remove
renames(path, new_path)
File "/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/pip-9.0.1-py2.7.egg/pip/utils/__init__.py", line 267, in renames
shutil.move(old, new)
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/shutil.py", line 302, in move
copy2(src, real_dst)
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/shutil.py", line 131, in copy2
copystat(src, dst)
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/shutil.py", line 103, in copystat
os.chflags(dst, st.st_flags)
OSError: [Errno 1] Operation not permitted: '/var/folders/gr/2fzdqxr53f7d_j1tzmd0d04w0000gn/T/pip-ds8BQ3-uninstall/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/Extras/lib/python/six-1.4.1-py2.7.egg-info'

Remove ads