5E A Proper Ability Score Generation Preference Poll - Page 17

Poll: What PC ability score generation method do you prefer?

  1. #161
    Quote Originally Posted by Arilyn View Post
    Please don't criticize my GM. My super high stats didn't stay and either did the low ones. We just ended up picking stats we wanted cause we're all mature and stuff. But that's kind of the point. Why have a rolling system, if you are going to reroll? We now have large table of arrays. Actually two. One set for higher end epic heroes, and one set which more closely matches standard array from phb.

    Rolling is problematic because of needing to adjust, reroll, or come up with less extreme system....
    Sorry I had thought you meant that the others were being told to play with bad stats. More then a single array is a much better option then one for everyone.
    I prefer rolling because it 'insures' characters don't end up with mostly the same ability scores for everyone. As had been said before, rolling for some of us is fun.
    XP Arilyn gave XP for this post

  2. #162
    Member
    Thaumaturgist (Lvl 9)



    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Northern BC, Canada
    Posts
    260
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Block Arilyn


    Friend+
    Quote Originally Posted by Arilyn View Post
    Please don't criticize my GM. My super high stats didn't stay and either did the low ones. We just ended up picking stats we wanted cause we're all mature and stuff. But that's kind of the point. Why have a rolling system, if you are going to reroll? We now have large table of arrays. Actually two. One set for higher end epic heroes, and one set which more closely matches standard array from phb.

    Rolling is problematic because of needing to adjust, reroll, or come up with less extreme system....
    Quote Originally Posted by Yardiff View Post
    Sorry I had thought you meant that the others were being told to play with bad stats. More then a single array is a much better option then one for everyone.
    I prefer rolling because it 'insures' characters don't end up with mostly the same ability scores for everyone. As had been said before, rolling for some of us is fun.
    No problem. Apology accepted!

  3. #163
    Member
    Hydra (Lvl 25)

    Hussar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Fukuoka, Japan
    Posts
    20,306
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews

    Block Hussar


    Friend+
    Quote Originally Posted by Yardiff View Post
    A ranger with dumped con is against type for most people, just because you don't consider it against type doesn't make it not against type.
    Meh. Not really seeing it. I know that the "common wisdom" has it that your third best stat MUST be Con in order to make an "effective" character, but, really, I have no idea why. Not if you're not playing a front line character anyway. How is losing, at most, 40 HP (since it's the third best stat, you're not likely to have more than 14) over 20 levels going to make much of a difference?

    I'd much rather dump Con, make sure I've got a decent enough strength to use my Athletics skill and have better stats elsewhere.

    Sorry, but, I don't agree that there is a "right" way to make a ranger.

    ----

    /edit - yeah, my bad for missing that bit about multiclassing. Of course, it was cleared up shortly afterward and the point was well made. F4/R16 Str based rogue is hardly a corner case archetype.
    Last edited by Hussar; Wednesday, 15th November, 2017 at 02:35 AM.

  4. #164
    Quote Originally Posted by Hussar View Post
    Meh. Not really seeing it. I know that the "common wisdom" has it that your third best stat MUST be Con in order to make an "effective" character, but, really, I have no idea why. Not if you're not playing a front line character anyway. How is losing, at most, 40 HP (since it's the third best stat, you're not likely to have more than 14) over 20 levels going to make much of a difference?

    I'd much rather dump Con, make sure I've got a decent enough strength to use my Athletics skill and have better stats elsewhere.

    Sorry, but, I don't agree that there is a "right" way to make a ranger.
    I said it was 'against type' not the 'right' way. There is nothing wrong with 'against type' characters.

  5. #165
    Community Supporter COPPER SUBSCRIBER
    Grandfather of Assassins (Lvl 19)



    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    1,859
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Block Oofta


    Friend+
    Quote Originally Posted by Yardiff View Post
    Yes, I prefer the "other" rolling methods.

    Shall I repost the quotes from the 1e PHB and DMG?
    Sorry ... I don't remember everything ever written.

    But then I kind of agree with @Arilyn, if you just keep rolling I don't see the point.

  6. #166
    Member
    Hydra (Lvl 25)

    Hussar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Fukuoka, Japan
    Posts
    20,306
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews

    Block Hussar


    Friend+
    Heh, to be fair, looking at my 5 PC's, 14 Con's are awfully common. So, I can somewhat see the point. Then again, my entire group, barring 1, dump statted Strength. Which makes an exploration heavy campaign with no casters a LOT of fun. The last session's encounter with Chuul's in a lake was a blast as the Chuuls kept dragging their grappled opponents into and then under the water.

    Yeah, let's see the ranged heavy party deal with that one.
    XP Yardiff gave XP for this post
    Laugh Satyrn laughed with this post

  7. #167
    Member
    Thaumaturgist (Lvl 9)



    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Northern BC, Canada
    Posts
    260
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Block Arilyn


    Friend+
    This argument over Con is getting pretty silly. Lots of people wouldn't dump it. I think that's pretty much common sense. Some people would, however, for very legitimate story reasons. I have made a ranger with an 8 Con and a cleric with an 8.

    I think there is an unfortunate tendency for classes to have same stat array, BUT it occurs less often for more story oriented players. I have also noticed that more experienced players are willing to "play against type," which makes sense. You are more willing to experiment when you feel confident.
    XP Yardiff gave XP for this post

  8. #168
    Member
    Hydra (Lvl 25)

    Hussar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Fukuoka, Japan
    Posts
    20,306
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews

    Block Hussar


    Friend+
    Quote Originally Posted by Oofta View Post
    Sorry ... I don't remember everything ever written.

    But then I kind of agree with @Arilyn, if you just keep rolling I don't see the point.
    To be 100% fair to @Yardiff here, he's absolutely up front about what he wants. Point buy doesn't get him what he wants. Die rolling can (particularly if the group is lenient about rerolls and variant die rolling methods). IOW, Yardiff want's a 32 point buy value character or more. Which means that standard point buy or array just is not going to give him what he wants.
    XP Yardiff gave XP for this post

  9. #169
    Rules Monkey COPPER SUBSCRIBER
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)



    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Posts
    6,597
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    I Defended The Walls!

    Block Caliban


    Friend+
    Quote Originally Posted by Yardiff View Post
    No it wasn't a jab at Husser, you had already let him know he was wrong and I have no issue with Husser (or anyone else for that matter), it was correcting an error on your part because you gave bad info.
    So the answer to my original question is "because you can't help yourself".

    Thank you for clearing that up.

  10. #170
    Member
    Hydra (Lvl 25)

    Hussar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Fukuoka, Japan
    Posts
    20,306
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews

    Block Hussar


    Friend+
    Just a final point about the "I can guess the stats" thing, just to put it to bed.

    The claim was, "If you point buy, I can guess your stats."

    That got amended to "If you point buy, I can guess your three highest stats".

    That got further amended to "If you point buy AND you optimize your character, I can guess your three highest stats".

    Well, I suppose that last one is true. Pretty much anyone could do that. There's generally a pretty solid agreement on what constitutes an optimized character, so, guessing the three highest isn't too much of a stretch.

    But, the issue I have is the goalposts have shifted from a pretty interesting claim down to "Well, if the stars and moon align just right I can guess your stats".

    XP Caliban gave XP for this post
    Laugh cbwjm laughed with this post

+ Log in or register to post
Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Similar Threads

  1. OD&D: Ability score generation
    By king_ghidorah in forum Pathfinder, Starfinder, Older D&D Editions (4E, 3.x, 2E, 1E, OD&D), D&D Variants, OSR
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: Friday, 21st July, 2017, 08:44 PM
  2. Ability score generation
    By kerbarian in forum Pathfinder, Starfinder, Older D&D Editions (4E, 3.x, 2E, 1E, OD&D), D&D Variants, OSR
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Friday, 14th September, 2007, 10:39 PM
  3. Ability Score Generation
    By Paraxis in forum Pathfinder, Starfinder, Older D&D Editions (4E, 3.x, 2E, 1E, OD&D), D&D Variants, OSR
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Saturday, 1st July, 2006, 12:47 AM
  4. Ability Score Generation
    By dontpunkme in forum Roleplaying Games General Discussion
    Replies: 86
    Last Post: Tuesday, 6th April, 2004, 09:02 AM
  5. What Ability Score Generation Method do you use?
    By drnuncheon in forum Roleplaying Games General Discussion
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: Tuesday, 12th February, 2002, 10:38 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •