5E I like magic (It's MAGIC!), and I like to cast spells as a ...

Poll: I like to cast spells as a ...

This poll will close on Monday, 27th November, 2017 at 08:48 PM

+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Hydra (Lvl 25)

I'm sorry Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Block lowkey13

Friend+

I like magic (It's MAGIC!), and I like to cast spells as a ...

Every gamer has gone through that period. You know, when the sharp sticks just aren't pointy enough. When you yawn when told that you've rolled another critical. When you get told to make a sword and board character, and you hear, "SWORD AND BORED."

And you think to yourself, "Self, I just can't hit stuff all the time. There has to be more to life than an endless parade of orcs heads skewered on my pointy stick. I want to do something new. I want to overcomplicate my complications. I want to go to the dark side, and cast me some spells!"

But what do you do when you want it's time to move from hitting orcs to hitting the (spell) books? More importantly, what type of character should you play? Because, let's face it, those fighters, those barbarians, those other types are just an undifferentiated blur of "meh," but the spellcaster-types; now, they really have it going on!

So what type of class do you want to play when you absolutely, positively, need to shoot magic sparks from your hands and turn your enemies (and maybe friends?) into frogs? When there is no substitute for the DM asking you, "So, what are you going to do?" and you lean back, and say, "Hey now. Give me a minute. Because I have at least 500 options. I could attack, I could buff my friends, I could debuff the enemies, I could rebuff the debuffed, or I could just turn myself into a potted plant. Choices, choices!"

So let's look at some 5e options, shall we? And, of course, there is a POLL!

Bard. Sure, you tell everyone at the table you're a Skald, or something cool. But really, in your heart, you're a rock star, baby. You're luting, and singing, and dancing your way to the top of the charts, and no orc is going to stop you.

Cleric. You have so many different options, and YOU'RE NOT PLAYING A HEALBOT LIFE CLERIC, DARNINT. You're a spell-casting warrior, Jim, not a doctor.

Druid.
    Spells? What spells? You're going to turn into a bear and maul people.

Sorcerer.
    You primarily play this class so you can complain about metamagic, right?

Warlock.
    You want to play some occult, pact-influenced, Cthulhu-lovin' madman with a crazy array of spells that no one has ever seen before. But you end up playing an Eldritch Blast spammer with Hex. Pew Pew Pew.

Wizard.
    You show your fan appreciation of the game by playing the class named after the corporation.

Finally, I didn't put in any half-casters, third-casters, eighth-casters, or rogues. Because. ALWAYS GO FULL CASTER!
    XP Immoralkickass, Iry gave XP for this post
    Laugh Parmandur laughed with this post

Greater Elemental (Lvl 23)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Block TwoSix

Friend+
    While I appreciate where people are coming from, I have no truck with complaints about sorcerers. (NO TRUCK!) Sorcerers are awesome, metamagic is super fun, and I like the challenge of picking the best spell list I possibly can. Divine soul sorcerers and shadow sorcerers are also both new, amazing subclasses.
    XP jayoungr, Parmandur, Fanaelialae, gyor gave XP for this post

I am pretty sure the point of the sorcerer is primarily to complain about wizards*, but otherwise I think you have a good grasp of the classes.

* This is why they are never going to make a revised sorcerer, because the revised sorcerer might be closer to being a wizard**, and then there would be less to complain about, and that would take away fun from the sorcerer. It is too late to make a worse revised sorcerer, because no one would use it.

** No matter what anyone tells you, it wasn't warlords, come and get it, or anything like that that was the doom of 4e, it was because the sorcerer didn't have the same role as the wizard, and when anyone complained about the wizard on behalf of sorcerers all they would get is "well of course, the wizard is a controller and the sorcerer is a striker, why are you comparing them?" It was pretty obvious from the playtests that WotC thought this was a good thing (poor fools) and wanted to bring it to 5e too.
    Laugh Parmandur, Tony Vargas, TwoSix, Mephista, bid laughed with this post

Quote Originally Posted by lowkey13 View Post
    Every gamer has gone through that period. You know, when the sharp sticks just aren't pointy enough. When you yawn when told that you've rolled another critical. When you get told to make a sword and board character, and you hear, "SWORD AND BORED."
    Your premise is flawed, sir.

But I voted cleric

Hydra (Lvl 25)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Block lowkey13

Friend+
    Quote Originally Posted by MechaTarrasque View Post

* This is why they are never going to make a revised sorcerer, because the revised sorcerer might be closer to being a wizard**,
    Get some XP for nested footnotes! That's some ouroboros-level tangenting, there.

Scout (Lvl 6)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Block Ed Laprade

Friend+
    Voted Bard. I very, very rarely play Wizards because they're too squishy (but not nearly as much as the early ones), and I like to have a decent melee weapon right out of the gate. (Although rapier all the time can get annoying.)

I also play Clerics, but mostly for the Heals!

Hydra (Lvl 25)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Block lowkey13

Friend+
    Quote Originally Posted by Satyrn View Post
    Your premise is flawed, sir.
    My premise is never flawed.

Sometimes, the world just forgets to get in accord with my correct observations.
    Laugh Iry, Satyrn laughed with this post

All the spellcasting classes have been great in my games. I did get to play Percival de Rolo as a Pact of the Tome GOO warlock, and that went really well. Eldritch Blast, Firebolt, Ray of Frost, and shocking grasp as options from his gun (re-skinned magic wand) covered all the blasty damage I needed.

EDIT: I am surprised that bard is so low. In my Adventurer's League game back in the spring we had 3 bards.
    Last edited by Tormyr; Tuesday, 14th November, 2017 at 10:01 PM.
    XP Satyrn gave XP for this post

Grandmaster of Flowers (Lvl 18)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Block cbwjm

Friend+
    Lately, I've been enjoying casting spells as my Eldritch Knight. I know I only get a few spell slots but it makes the choice of casting that much more important.

Greater Elemental (Lvl 23)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Block TwoSix

Friend+
    Quote Originally Posted by MechaTarrasque View Post
    ** No matter what anyone tells you, it wasn't warlords, come and get it, or anything like that that was the doom of 4e, it was because the sorcerer didn't have the same role as the wizard, and when anyone complained about the wizard on behalf of sorcerers all they would get is "well of course, the wizard is a controller and the sorcerer is a striker, why are you comparing them?" It was pretty obvious from the playtests that WotC thought this was a good thing (poor fools) and wanted to bring it to 5e too.
    Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
    XP Wednesday Boy gave XP for this post
    Laugh Charles Rampant laughed with this post

+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply