D&D 5E I like magic (It's MAGIC!), and I like to cast spells as a ...

I like to cast spells as a ...

• Bard

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • Cleric

Votes: 9 12.5%
  • Druid

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Sorcerer

Votes: 8 11.1%
  • Warlock

Votes: 14 19.4%
  • Wizard

Votes: 32 44.4%

• Poll closed .

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
While I appreciate where people are coming from, I have no truck with complaints about sorcerers. (NO TRUCK!) Sorcerers are awesome, metamagic is super fun, and I like the challenge of picking the best spell list I possibly can. Divine soul sorcerers and shadow sorcerers are also both new, amazing subclasses.

I am pretty sure the point of the sorcerer is primarily to complain about wizards*, but otherwise I think you have a good grasp of the classes.

* This is why they are never going to make a revised sorcerer, because the revised sorcerer might be closer to being a wizard**, and then there would be less to complain about, and that would take away fun from the sorcerer. It is too late to make a worse revised sorcerer, because no one would use it.

** No matter what anyone tells you, it wasn't warlords, come and get it, or anything like that that was the doom of 4e, it was because the sorcerer didn't have the same role as the wizard, and when anyone complained about the wizard on behalf of sorcerers all they would get is "well of course, the wizard is a controller and the sorcerer is a striker, why are you comparing them?" It was pretty obvious from the playtests that WotC thought this was a good thing (poor fools) and wanted to bring it to 5e too.

Satyrn

First Post
Every gamer has gone through that period. You know, when the sharp sticks just aren't pointy enough. When you yawn when told that you've rolled another critical. When you get told to make a sword and board character, and you hear, "SWORD AND BORED."
Your premise is flawed, sir.

But I voted cleric

Ed Laprade

First Post
Voted Bard. I very, very rarely play Wizards because they're too squishy (but not nearly as much as the early ones), and I like to have a decent melee weapon right out of the gate. (Although rapier all the time can get annoying.)

I also play Clerics, but mostly for the Heals!

Tormyr

Adventurer
All the spellcasting classes have been great in my games. I did get to play Percival de Rolo as a Pact of the Tome GOO warlock, and that went really well. Eldritch Blast, Firebolt, Ray of Frost, and shocking grasp as options from his gun (re-skinned magic wand) covered all the blasty damage I needed.

EDIT: I am surprised that bard is so low. In my Adventurer's League game back in the spring we had 3 bards.

Last edited:

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Lately, I've been enjoying casting spells as my Eldritch Knight. I know I only get a few spell slots but it makes the choice of casting that much more important.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
** No matter what anyone tells you, it wasn't warlords, come and get it, or anything like that that was the doom of 4e, it was because the sorcerer didn't have the same role as the wizard, and when anyone complained about the wizard on behalf of sorcerers all they would get is "well of course, the wizard is a controller and the sorcerer is a striker, why are you comparing them?" It was pretty obvious from the playtests that WotC thought this was a good thing (poor fools) and wanted to bring it to 5e too.
Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases