5E Can a Shadow Blade be your Chosen Hex Warrior weapon? - Page 4
+ Log in or register to post
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Grandfather of Assassins (Lvl 19)

Reviews
    Read 2 Reviews

Block pukunui

Friend+
    My apologies if you thought I was trying to rub salt in your wounds. I mainly shared it here so that others could see it, as I know that not everyone here looks at Twitter. I shall amend my post to make that more clear.

Quote Originally Posted by posineg View Post
    I multi-class both classes and I want to change a few spells in each list. Is this possible? When does the "Whenever you finish a long rest..." event happen?
    When do you think it should happen?

As a DM, I would rule that it happens in the immediate span of time after the long rest has ended. That is, if you have enough time before the new day's events begin, you can spend however many minutes you need swapping out both cleric and druid spells. If you don't, then you'd be stuck with the ones you've already prepared.
    Last edited by pukunui; Tuesday, 14th November, 2017 at 09:21 PM.

Exactly my point!

If you cannot except that "Whenever you finish a long rest..." is not a fraction of a second, how can you then define the timeframe that it has to be.
    Its not a timeframe, its a window of opportunity in the game mechanics. Once you finish a long rest, you have a window of opportunity to take any game-mechanical actions that say you must take them when you finish a long rest. You must then close that window of opportunity before taking any game-mechanical actions that do say you must take them when you finish a long rest. Think of it like Magic: the Gathering (also made by WotC.) The upkeep step doesnt have a limited amount of time, nor a limited number of upkeep triggers you are allowed o perform. But you cant move on to your draw step or main phase until youve decided youve done everything you wanted to do in your upkeep and advance the turn,

Many DM's will play this as any time after the long rest that works for the group. To define that it has to be the first thing or never is just a load.
    And those DMs are free to make that house rule if it suits their games, but it is not in accordance with the rules as written (they say when, not after) nor the rules as intended (see Jeremy Crawfords Tweet).

What happens when you have two conditions requiring you to do X "Whenever you finish a long rest..." say multi-class, do you mis out on one of the classes spells training?
    Same thing that happens in Magic when you have multiple abilities that trigger on your upkeep. You do them all before moving on to your next window of opportunity for action.
    XP pukunui, KahlessNestor gave XP for this post

Rules Monkey COPPER SUBSCRIBER
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    I Defended The Walls!

Block Caliban

Friend+
    For Example:

Cleric:
    You can change your list of prepared spells when you
    finish a long rest. Preparing a new list o f cleric spells
    requires time spent in prayer and meditation: at least 1
    minute per spell level for each spell on your list.

Druid:
    You can also change your list o f prepared spells when
    you finish a long rest. Preparing a new list o f druid
    spells requires time spent in prayer and meditation: at
    least 1 minute per spell level for each spell on your list.

I multi-class both classes and I want to change a few spells in each list. Is this possible? When does the "Whenever you finish a long rest..." event happen?
    Right after you finish the long rest. In this case it takes "Long Rest + X minutes" to finish preparing your spells, where X = total spell levels changed.

For me the end of a long rest meets two conditions.

1. Characters have actually rested, ie slept or meditated or whatever they need to do.

2. They have started doing something else that isn't resting. Crafting, traveling, fighting, etc. A long rest has to be 8 hours, but it can also be longer. If they spend the entire day lounging around a campsite, that's an entire day long resting. You get no extra benefits from it.
    XP pukunui, KahlessNestor gave XP for this post

For Example:

Cleric:
    You can change your list of prepared spells when you
    finish a long rest. Preparing a new list o f cleric spells
    requires time spent in prayer and meditation: at least 1
    minute per spell level for each spell on your list.

Druid:
    You can also change your list o f prepared spells when
    you finish a long rest. Preparing a new list o f druid
    spells requires time spent in prayer and meditation: at
    least 1 minute per spell level for each spell on your list.

When you finish a long rest, you have a window of opportunity to do things that say you can do them when you finish a long rest. At that time, you can spend 1 minute per cleric spell level you want to prepare, and 1 minute per druid spell level you want to prepare, in order to prepare those spells. Once you are ready to move on and start doing things that dont happen when you finish a long rest, that window of opportunity closes. So, if you prepared your Cleric spells and then decided for some reason that you wanted to cast Divination before preparing your Druid spells, then you would miss the window and be unable to prepare Druid spells that day.
    XP KahlessNestor gave XP for this post

Quote Originally Posted by pukunui View Post
    I mainly shared it here so that others could see it, as I know that not everyone here looks at Twitter.
    I came here to post it myself. I'm not afraid to risk not confirming my bias, which was why I asked Crawford in the first place.

To me, the language is not clear because it doesn't specify a duration after the event. While I realise it could be interpreted the way you and others have, I don't like to make assumptions without clarity.

It seems that they've gone for a vague "window" of time after the event but before anything meaningful in the adventuring day has happened, which as far as I'm concerned, goes against some of the specificity they've heralded as a hallmark of the edition.
    XP pukunui gave XP for this post

Grandfather of Assassins (Lvl 19)

Reviews
    Read 2 Reviews

Block pukunui

Friend+
    Fair enough.

+ Log in or register to post
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quick Reply Quick Reply