D&D 5E So Was That Z Fellow right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric V

Hero
Because I like pointing out when people on the boards here are acting silly. And someone starting a thread that basically says "Hey, you know all that stuff I said three years ago? Was I right or was I right? Huh? Huh?!?" is basically asking for people to congratulate him for being so smart.

If he wants that pat on the head, he should just come right out and ask for it.

Well...if that's your thing. I don't see it as an excuse to be a jerk, though.

ccs

41st lv DM
My observations were.

1. Some feats are OP, Sharpshooter and Great Weapon Fighter would be on this list, I would probably add healer feat these days.

Since 3e on there's always been feats that can become problematic. Actually since 1e UA with it's weapon specialization, double weapon specialization, point-blank shots, & Cavaliers.... And they differ by the group too.
But! All that's required to prevent those problems is that the DM pay attention to the characters being played /options being used & design adventures (or modify existing ones since WoTC claims they don't assume Feats/Magic Items when they write) so that proper challenges will still be had.
There IS a learning curve to this on the DM's end.

2. Feats in general break the game (in the PCs favour). Big offenders here are warcaster, resilient: con, and healer as they tens to negate the concentration mechanic and pacing of the gamer.

On this you're wrong. Feats change the game. If the game breaks because of them it's the DMs fault. See above.
Personally on the concentration mechanic? So what. My preferred edition is 1e where spells just have a set duration, so (as the DM) I don't care if there's some feat that all but negates the concentration mechanic. I'm used to spells simply continuing. Now if they drop? Bonus! As a player? I'll only consider taking those feats only if those are what best helps me express a particular character. They haven't been yet.
The healer feat? Really? I'm the DM, I can always dish out some more damage. :)

3. Dex is stupidly OP unless feats are used (assuming you are melee, there is still sharpshooter).

The only real change to Dex here in 5e is adding it to your ranged (& some melee) damage.
Otherwise, same as forever: +s to AC, +s to initiative, +s to hit with range.

4. Bless was OP/broken.

You, I , & others will just have to agree to disagree. Maybe you found this to be problematic in the games you ran/played in, but this has not been my experience to date.

5. The encounter guidelines did not work that well past level 10 or so (or 7 perhaps).

I won't disagree with this. But then I don't think WoTC has ever produced a decent set of encounter building guidelines. So I'm not shocked they missed it again in 5e. They won't manage it come 6e either.

6. High level 5E was stupidly easy even ignoring the encounter guidelines with combats X5 deadly.

This is mostly a DM style problem. Also not a new problem as various DMs I had were complaining about it way back in the mid-80s. Mostly it's the result of the DM not taking into account what the characters at their tables can actually do & writing/modding things to challenge that.

So here we are 3 years later, was I right, wrong somewhere in the middle?

Somewhere in the middle.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Thanks for tuning into Zardnaar's November Self Congratulatory thread. Tune in in January, to ring in the New Year with a special episode of I Was Right!, where Zardnaar pats himself on the back for saying that some people agree that the fighter is lacking in non combat ability. With special guest, Richard Ayoade!

Ok, if he was on, I'd probably watch that...

Zardnaar

Legend
Because I like pointing out when people on the boards here are acting silly. And someone starting a thread that basically says "Hey, you know all that stuff I said three years ago? Was I right or was I right? Huh? Huh?!?" is basically asking for people to congratulate him for being so smart.

If he wants that pat on the head, he should just come right out and ask for it.

I prefer a scratch under the chin and a cookie.

G

Guest 6801328

Oh don't think Zard was actually looking for a pat on the back. It's just been too long since he's made some kind of over-the-top, extreme claim that starts a chain reaction of responses. He needed an attention fix, so he said something outrageous. And look what happened!

Zard for President?

smbakeresq

Explorer
I get OP point, every edition has or had some flaw or loop in it that could be exploited. Every game does, you cant fix everything and playtest forever, the games would never get published. Every table has had players (or should have anyway) say "I know its RAW but its cheese, so I am not going to do it." I just don't see the point in arguing over it, you just move along.

jgsugden

Legend
5E is the most balanced, well designed version of D&D yet. While some things could have been slightly tweaked and improved, there is NOTHING BROKEN IN THE GAME. To that extent, you're wrong.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
5E is the most balanced, well designed version of D&D yet. While some things could have been slightly tweaked and improved, there is NOTHING BROKEN IN THE GAME. To that extent, you're wrong.

Except the binding on my 1st printing PHB. :rant:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads