D&D 5E How many different cosmologies has D&D had over the years?

Zardnaar

Legend
No, Athas was always part of the 2E metasetting, just hard to access.

Its why I said originally. In early DS products the Athas cosmology was different as its elemental planes for example were wrecked. They sorta added it to the Great Wheel later in non DS products (Planescape IIRC).

To get there you did not have to planar travel but dimensional travel to get from the great wheel to Atha's cosmology although the Athasian and GW Astral plane may have been semi accessible.

Tony Vargas

Legend
In Appendix IV of the original PHB, both the Ethereal Plane and the Astral Plane can be used to travel to parallel Prime Material Planes.
I don't recall that specific detail, but, yes, now that you mention it, the Astral did connect the inner and outer planes, as well as the outer, I guess I was over-simplifying..

The original MotP changed this, stating that there was one Ethereal plane for each Prime Material Plane, and hence that the Ethereal Plane could't be used to travel to parallel Prime Material Planes: the Astral Plane had to be used. 3E decided that it was the Plane of Shadow that linked the parallel Prime Material Planes.
Definitely don't remember those. Parallel prime material planes always struck me more as an excuse for having many different campaigns out there be theoretically in the same multiverse, without actually needing to interact. :shrug: Guess that's just how I liked to use the concept.

Traveling among other prime-material 'worlds' was more a topic for spelljammer... ;)

Tony Vargas

Legend
I think it is a bit of a stretch to say the great wheel contains all D&D cosmologies. The World Axis cosmology of 4e definitely changed things up from GW.
Really, any multiverse cosmology can contain all other cosmologies. The World Axis can contain the great wheel - the outer planes of the wheel are just a different conceptual organization of divine domains, say. The oWoD Umbra can contain both of them, with all the outer planes and alternate prime-materials relegated to the Deep Umbra, and pocket dimensions to paradox realms.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Its why I said originally. In early DS products the Athas cosmology was different as its elemental planes for example were wrecked. They sorta added it to the Great Wheel later in non DS products (Planescape IIRC).

To get there you did not have to planar travel but dimensional travel to get from the great wheel to Atha's cosmology although the Athasian and GW Astral plane may have been semi accessible.
It was integrated much earlier, from the start, as an inaccessible part of the cosmology as all the rest, before Planescape was a thing. The local yokels might not know that their little corner of the multiverse is part of something else hard to access, but TSR made sure to name-drop it as part of the whole anyways. Kind of like a 13th century Tahiti setting wouldn't have access to 13th century Poland, but isn't on a different planet.

dave2008

Legend
Really, any multiverse cosmology can contain all other cosmologies. The World Axis can contain the great wheel - the outer planes of the wheel are just a different conceptual organization of divine domains, say. The oWoD Umbra can contain both of them, with all the outer planes and alternate prime-materials relegated to the Deep Umbra, and pocket dimensions to paradox realms.

But that is expanding on RAW, I'm talking about how the different cosmologies are presented in RAW. 5e wisely sidesteps this debate.

Tony Vargas

Legend
But that is expanding on RAW, I'm talking about how the different cosmologies are presented in RAW.
Settings or cosmologies are far more fluff than rules, anyway. In the same sense that the GW could be said to subsume other cosmologies, other cosmologies could subsume it.

5e wisely sidesteps this debate.
That's what 5e's good at: leaving it up to the DM.

Just remember kids: Just because the DM has a drunk in a bar in Sigil tell your PC's with great assurance that the universe is a Great Wheel, that doesn't make it right, the drunk might be wrong (no matter how many people think the drunk is onto something).

E

Elderbrain

In the original DDG the Plane of Shadow is not a "demi-plane" - it is the shadow of the Prime Material Plane resulting from the latter's position between the Positive and Negative Material Planes. So the Plane of Shadow is itself a type of material plane.

It was recharacterised as a demi-plane in the original MotP.

Ah! I didn't know that. So becoming a demi-plane was a demotion... well, it's a full plane again!;)

Remove ads