D&D 5E Fifth Edition.....Why?

neobolts

Explorer
And I adored 3rd edition, it allowed me to create the fantasy character I wanted to play in an easy to delineate manner. Then came fourth edition which eliminated everything great about 3rd Edition but tried to turn the system into a tabletop World of Warcraft, a system I promptly demonstrated the idiocy of its lack of thought with by building a fey aspected warlock with a cape of the mountebank which let me basically deal damage and teleport, the damage and teleport, and when the GM tried to be clever and isolate me then I used the cape to teleport me back behind the line the party had formed, the whole system was stupid, not to mention the abject horror they turned the Forgotten Realms into.
Then I bought the 5th Edition players handbook, It seemed to actually streamline the 4th Edition and make it less a tabletop MMO while bringing back the simplicity of the old school blue and red boxes.
So, why should I play 5th Edition? It eliminated the wonderful options a player could take his character and even it's weak multiclassing can't portray the most famous characters of our favorite DnD novel characters. I mean, stat out Elminster the way he should be in 5th Ed, or even Mirt the Merciless.

You seem to have already solidified strong opinions about various editions, but I'm going to assume your question is serious, rather than an edition wars post.

On Prior Editions
You seem to value systems that are both complex and flexible. You would probably enjoy Pathfinder immensely if you don't already play it. I would agree that 4th edition would be a terrible match for your play style preferences, as it does mimic elements of MMOs and rewards what some would see as cheap tricks under RAW (rules as written) gameplay.

What 3e does and doesn't do well
3e is complex and flexible. 3e does lend itself to recreating iconic characters better, what with its vast library of options and support for epic level play. It also lends itself to matching incredibly specific character concepts to existing rules. The downsize of 3e is the math creep that appears in the edition, an ever-increasing stack of modifiers. Also, the feat trees (feats with layers of prerequisites) while offering options, weren't always well balanced, leading to arguably obvious choices as to which feat to take. Obvious choices (or "non-choices") is a problem in any gaming rules system, but 3e feats tend to struggle with this problem noticeably at times.

How 5e compares to 3e
Conversely, 5e is streamlined and flexible. You lament the loss of options from 3e (presumably feat trees and prestige classes), but with class paths, backgrounds, and optional feats, there is plenty of choice to make a unique character in 5e. But the focus is different...5e lends itself to better creating iconic parties of adventurers rather than iconic heroes in a vacuum. This is because of value caps and bounded accuracy. The difference between a 1st and 20th level character is a lot less in 5e than 3e. While this suggests that a 20th level 5e character is simply less imposing than in 3e, there are some key upsides to caps/bounds:
  • You avoid that stack of modifiers that start to slow down gameplay.
  • Also, a higher level character fighting an army of orcs is a dull exercise in 3e, but monsters stay relevant longer in 5e.
  • Additionally, characters don't get left in the dust in 5e. You won't end up with the best climber being 20 points in modifier above the rest of the party on a climbing check. Both the monster viability and a narrower range of modifiers make it easily for DMs to create combat encounters and set DCs.

I don't think stat blocking the novel iconics was a design priority for 5e. NPCs such as Mordenkaiden and Harshnag have been stat blocked in 5e, and IIRC they simply get unique templates that push them above a PCs power level.

At the end of the day, 3e does best suit your play style, but there are strong upsides to both the 3e and 5e set of rules.

Bardbarian

First Post
One of the great things about the 5e design is that they recognized some people will prefer their old system so they made old editions available online as PDFs if you want to get those books instead. If you find a group that wants to play your way do so. For my enjoyment 5e is a great system and I am having a blast, your mileage may vary.

schnee

First Post
Yeah, I miss 3.5E.

Needing to use an Excel spreadsheet to build encounters and track stacking bonuses.

Taking hours to design encounters and enemy monsters.

Trap options everywhere.

It was fantastic. All that customization!

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yeah, I miss 3.5E.

Needing to use an Excel spreadsheet to build encounters and track stacking bonuses.

Taking hours to design encounters and enemy monsters.

Trap options everywhere.

It was fantastic. All that customization!
Yeeeeeeeeaaaaah.....

Henry

Autoexreginated
If you’re a fan of 3e, I highly recommend Pathfinder. Not without its own problems, but definitely more streamlined than 3.5.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Q: Why play (insert game of your choice here)?
A: Because you enjoy it.
Q: What if I don't enjoy it?
A: Then don't play it. Find a game you do enjoy.

S

Sunseeker

Look I feel ya, I really enjoyed 5E when it came out for a faster, simpler version of D&D, but it wore thin after a while and I found myself craving many of the zany options from previous editions, so I went back. Sure I run some short games of 5E here and there but my main campaigns are still in 3.X/Pathfinder.

Shiroiken

Legend
Whenever I see people talk about their 30th and 40th level PCs in AD&D, it's either one of two things, neither using actual XP tracking as designed

1. Monty Haul where you receive 100000 exp for each orc you kill or you get told "level up" for successfully walking into a bar
2. You just start at level 20 or 30 and go from there.
Depends on 1E or 2E. In OD&D and 1E all characters got 1 XP per 1 gp recovered from adventuring. The Monty Haul campaigns of the time did use XP tracking as designed, but failed to award treasure as designed, which was just as important. Gygax had a great article in Dragon where he referred to such games as "Dungeons & Beavers," since his Greyhawk campaign (5 years old at the time) had only one character of 11th level.

Remove ads