D&D 5E Come out and put yourself on the Gygax scale!

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Much like [MENTION=6871450]Wulffolk[/MENTION] in post 2, I'd like to think of myself as G1 and if I only ever played would probably be there, but DMing has made me pay more attention to mechanics than I'd like. So, a split vote for me:

As player: G1 or even G0
As DM: G3

Lanefan

Arilyn

Hero
Another thought. Sometimes mechanics add to story, like 13th Age's escalation die, one unique thing and backgrounds. Also Fate aspects and Torg's cards. And sometimes they are just lots of fun.

So, vastly prefer story, but appreciate mechanics that back up my preferred style.

OB1

Jedi Master
I guess G3. Mechanics are what helps facilitate the story. But not sure how you came up with that scale. Is the higher # supposed to be more Gygax? Because that doesn't really match what his actual priorities were.

The scale is a re-skin of the Kinsey scale. It's not meant to match up with Gygax's priorities just provide a way to rank yourself between the two polar opposites along a continuum.

Another thought. Sometimes mechanics add to story, like 13th Age's escalation die, one unique thing and backgrounds. Also Fate aspects and Torg's cards. And sometimes they are just lots of fun.

So, vastly prefer story, but appreciate mechanics that back up my preferred style.

This is what I was going after with the G1 rating. Working on some rewording of the questions before I actually post the poll. Below is the latest.

G0 – I am 100% engaged with the story, game mechanics only get in the way of that
G1 – I’m here for the story; only like mechanics that back up the story
G2 – I’m here for the story, but like enjoyable mechanics that sometimes override story
G3 – Story and Mechanics are equally important to my enjoyment and should be balanced
G4 – I’m here for the mechanics, but like enjoyable story that sometimes overrides mechanics
G5 – I’m here for the mechanics; only like story that backs up the mechanics
G6 – I’m 100% engaged with the game mechanics, story only gets in the way of that

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Still G4 since I'll overrule mechanics if things make more sense that way. Not in the "well the story will work if the villain isn't restricted by the rules the players are" more "well falling 600 feet only does an average of 70 damage...yeah right".

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
The scale seems to be based on the assumption that the mechanics are somehow at odds with the story and vice versa. I don't see it that way at all. I engage with the mechanics to tell me what happens in the story. Where on the scale does that put me?

OB1

Jedi Master
The scale seems to be based on the assumption that the mechanics are somehow at odds with the story and vice versa. I don't see it that way at all. I engage with the mechanics to tell me what happens in the story. Where on the scale does that put me?

Sounds like G3 to me!

Gardens & Goblins

First Post
I'm far too fickle for this. Somewhere between, and including, G1 and G6, depending on my whim, the game, the people at the table and whatever movie/game/real life event is on my mind.

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
Sounds like G3 to me!

I really don't like how that implies that I'm less committed to story than some people and less inclined towards mechanics than others. I believe you're setting up a false dichotomy.

Remove ads