Yuan-Ti rituals?

CapnZapp

Legend
I guess I'm behind on my Yuan-Ti lore. These horrible rituals to turn humans into snakes are mentioned... But why exactly are they horrible?

I mean sure I can imagine many things... But I'm wondering, hasn't there been any game supplement or perhaps a Realms novel writer that has explored this bit of lore; that snake people procreate by magically transforming humans?

I mean, do the rituals have snakes crawling under your skin, or bite you all over, or you're in great pain, or... what? What makes it horrific? Surely not just the race change?

(Or an i missing something obvious here)

Remember to keep your answers family friendly

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
It's worth pointing out that Yuan-Ti can procreate normally. Well, as normally as snake people can procreate anyway.

The process was a bit more fleshed out in Monstrous Compendium: Monsters of Faerûn.:

So they drink a potion and it replaces their normal human blood with tainted Yuan-Ti blood. This potion is often forced upon slaves, though some cultists willingly drink it. The potion that they drink is a combination of Yaun-Ti venom and some unnamed roots and herbs. Then the fun begins, if they pass their fortitude save they go into a coma and die within an hour (which is apparently the best case scenario). This death can be averted (and often is) by casting a spell to neutralize the poison, at which point they will likely have another potion shoved down their gullet. If they failed their save, then they make another check to figure out if the ritual was a success. If they pass that check, they become a Tainted One (which 5e axed in favor of just making them Purebloods I guess) in a painful transformation that lasts about a week. If they fail that check, they become a Broodguard in a transformation that takes about two weeks. Either way, their mindset and thoughts are now more in-line with the thinking of the Yaun-Ti. And as a kicker, if you manage to stop the transformation, it leaves the character with brain damage.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I want to say the Scarlet Brotherhood supplement from the 2E era also talked about yuan-ti transformation, but I do not recall specifics off-hand (if anyone happens to have a copy of it.)

I'm guessing that its pretty much up to you and your imagination. The only thing about the rituals that have been explicitly called out in Volos is that they take rare components and the sacrifice of many humanoids.

The original rituals that created the Yuant-ti involved cannibalism, so that is probably a part of the current transformation ritual.
Its probably not the same as a 10-minute spell ritual: - I'm guessing that it can take days.

How explicit and horrific do you need to get?
You could go with the standard Aztec-inspired heart-chopping ritual at the top of a pyramid. Or it could be something quieter and more complex, like devouring assorted internal organs of victims of snakebite poison, each aged corresponding to a year of the transformee's life.

S

Sunseeker

As long as it includes:
Magic
Poison
Snakes
Pain
Blood
Chanting

I think most people will get the message.

IMO: the only need for detailed ritual "schematics" is so the players can do them. Do we need the players do these rituals?

aco175

Legend
I'm working on a new storyline with yuan-ti and are looking at the ritual for making the zombie-like slaves histachii. It seems to involve drinking something like a drug that also creates terrible addiction in the general population. In fact, they like to get people addicted before they start dragging people off to be transformed.

I like to think transformation to a true yuan-ti involves something like in Indiana Jones 2 where the people were lowered into the pit of fire, but with something else than fire.

CapnZapp

Legend
IMO: the only need for detailed ritual "schematics" is so the players can do them. Do we need the players do these rituals?
Or be done unto them.

My players are heading to Omu, so I thought it best to get a handle of what the "offer" to become Tainted (or Trueblood?) might actually entail... ☺

CapnZapp

Legend
Thanks all. I guess it's never super-specified and so I can deal with it much as I see fit. Good to know - I generally try to not contradict established Realms lore if I can avoid it.

Remove ads