Wand of steam cleaning

abe ray

Explorer
The wand of steam cleaning is a wand covered in valves and whistles. Whenever the wand is pointed at the object to be cleaned & the activation word is uttered the object is covered in a LARGE cloud of harmless steam that COMPLETELY cleans up the object/target! To recharge the wand just place the wand in a bucket of water for about a hour, it sucks in the water in the process of recharging.
What do you think about this magic wand & what spells would you use to make it anyway?
If it helps this is my first attempt at a steampunk magic item.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World mobile app

Last edited:

Presdigitation can clean things. In 3.5 doubling the cost gives infinite use if that wouldn't be abusable--and this doesn't look abusable. The rest is just flavor.

Does it make sense as a concept though?

Sent from my iPhone using EN World mobile app

The only problem I would have with a player making such an item is I've never run a steampunk world and thus it would be thematically wrong. I have no problem with the power of such an item and I'm pretty sure I would make it be cheaper than the formula says--how often do PCs need to clean something?

If the target were object or creature I think I would charge by the book. There is occasional use for cleaning a PC.

Greenfield

Adventurer
In 1st Ed there was a Wand of Steam and Vapor. Doesn't mean anything, of course, just mentioning.

The wand has an inherent "abuse" available: Enemies coming? "Steam clean" a section of wall, which involves a "huge" cloud of steam. In essence, obscuring mist of a short duration.

As far as Steampunk v not-steampunk, I wouldn't think of it that way. I'd think of it as a Gnomish contraption.

If you want to make it absolutely fly by the rules, look in Magic Item Compendium: There are rules for "Eternal Wands". They work twice a day, and can be used by any Arcane caster. They can only hold Arcane spells (such as Prestidigitation.)

For the record, I'm suggesting a creation mechanic, I'm not in any way recommending the Magic Item Compendium. Everything is over powered and under priced.

In 1st Ed there was a Wand of Steam and Vapor. Doesn't mean anything, of course, just mentioning.

The wand has an inherent "abuse" available: Enemies coming? "Steam clean" a section of wall, which involves a "huge" cloud of steam. In essence, obscuring mist of a short duration.

As far as Steampunk v not-steampunk, I wouldn't think of it that way. I'd think of it as a Gnomish contraption.

If you want to make it absolutely fly by the rules, look in Magic Item Compendium: There are rules for "Eternal Wands". They work twice a day, and can be used by any Arcane caster. They can only hold Arcane spells (such as Prestidigitation.)

For the record, I'm suggesting a creation mechanic, I'm not in any way recommending the Magic Item Compendium. Everything is over powered and under priced.

I wouldn't think the mist would last more than a round at most--how much value is that in getting away???

Dungeoneer

First Post
Honestly, this seems really pointless and ridiculous.

I like it.

Make it a cursed item so the player that picks it up can't get rid of it.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases