D&D 5E Using a quarterstaff one handed?

Aiden_Keller_

First Post
Isn't that why you only hit for 1d6 with one hand...thats the same as a short sword so mechanically it makes sense...two handed does 1d8...

Don't mess with the wizard!

Aiden_Keller_

First Post
I envision the D&D quarterstaff as more of a short staff. Best image I could find is

View attachment 91121

So not the 6+ foot long quarterstaff, but something more along the line of a short walking stick. I think it's kind of silly myself, but not enough to make a house rule.

I would rule that this ONLY causes d6 damage...but a quarterstaff would do more!

Wizard beats Monk!

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
Yup, I mentioned that problem.

The obvious answer: Make the greatclub Heavy.

Then what do small clerics get? You’d force them to use pole-weapons to get d8 damage? :)

Nope. It's just Two Handed 1d8. You could make it Two Handed, Heavy, 1d10.

This is starting to look like a martial weapon but is lacking reach. I think the design space for simple weapons stops at d8 damage and doesn’t include heavy.

5ekyu

Hero
Lances are most effective against Dragons. Demons hate swords. Dwarves are best dealt with ranged weapons. Elves can be best handled by hurting their feelings.
Wow... and for the medical records that may be needed later, how many times do you think you actually trained with fighting dragons?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases