LOVING the new Punisher series

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Okay my apologies to Netflix, I may have been hasty in my assessment of the first episode.
I've just finish episode 7 and while the pacing is still slow, the story themes running through this show are very good. I'm looking forward to th next few episodes

Other than being big and having a high pain threshold Barracuda is a normal too, indeed most of Punishers core villains are just mundane pyschopaths with no/limited powers.
Not sure who could be a season 2 villain and its kind of a bummer they've already had him face off against Daredevil.
Finn Cooley was the mad Irishman in DD2, maybe he could comeback disfigured from his injuries and with a love for explosives. He teams up with Barracuda to hunt Punisher down and DD does a cameo trying to stop the carnage...

Jigsaw is a likely bet.

Didnt really like it, it was ok I guess, I dunno, didnt really seem like the Punisher to me. Frank Castle died the day his family was killed, and the Punisher was born and he declared a one man war on all criminals. I mean thats what made him the Punisher, yaknow? For him to just give all that up and get a construction job, I dunno just seemed way out of character to me. I mean Im not saying that they should just rip off the comic, I understand they got to change some stuff up, but that just seemed like too much of a deviation from source material. Micro seemed more like a Snowden clone than trying to emulate the character from the comics, but it worked so I was cool with that change. I thought the story was a bit much, Punisher is usually taking on mobsters and drug lords, so a big government conspiracy thing seemed overboard to me, I think they should have started smaller and worked up to the big conspiracy thing in like season 3 or something, or tie it in with Defenders 2 or something. I might have liked it a little more if instead of calling it Punisher they just called it Frank Castle, cause its like hes not even really the Punisher yet cause he hasn't dedicated himself fully to it yet.

Ryujin

Legend
I think it was a great story arc. No powers; just a tough, trained guy dealing with his back story. The morally ambiguous anti-hero bearing the responsibility of that ambiguity. We got to see just how broken he is and why, rather than just glorifying the violence as so many movies and TV shows do these days.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Yeah, it was a strong action drama. I never read any Punisher comics so I don’t have anything to compare it to, but on its own merits I found it pretty compelling.

I find these days I prefer a slow burn to non-stop anyway. In a lot of superhero stuff, the action is the bit which interested me least.

Ryujin

Legend
Yeah, it was a strong action drama. I never read any Punisher comics so I don’t have anything to compare it to, but on its own merits I found it pretty compelling.

I find these days I prefer a slow burn to non-stop anyway. In a lot of superhero stuff, the action is the bit which interested me least.

I very much liked that slow burn with violence used like punctuation, rather than main content. The Punisher, in the comics, frequently runs up against superheroes who consider him to be just another criminal. At least he did, when I was reading them 30-40 years ago

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Didnt really like it, it was ok I guess, I dunno, didnt really seem like the Punisher to me. Frank Castle died the day his family was killed, and the Punisher was born and he declared a one man war on all criminals. I mean thats what made him the Punisher, yaknow? For him to just give all that up and get a construction job, I dunno just seemed way out of character to me. I mean Im not saying that they should just rip off the comic, I understand they got to change some stuff up, but that just seemed like too much of a deviation from source material. Micro seemed more like a Snowden clone than trying to emulate the character from the comics, but it worked so I was cool with that change. I thought the story was a bit much, Punisher is usually taking on mobsters and drug lords, so a big government conspiracy thing seemed overboard to me, I think they should have started smaller and worked up to the big conspiracy thing in like season 3 or something, or tie it in with Defenders 2 or something. I might have liked it a little more if instead of calling it Punisher they just called it Frank Castle, cause its like hes not even really the Punisher yet cause he hasn't dedicated himself fully to it yet.

they did the killing gansters thing in DD as a backdoor pilot to this 'mini-origin' story and bridged it with him running down the two bikers who he held responsible, so I didn't mind him doing the construction work as a filler before being dragged back. I do agree though that the End of the show should of had him on full-time Punisher duty looking for his next target not going back into the shadows until 'next time'

I liked the conspiracy elements but do wonder how they are going to step up for season 2, going back to standard mobsters does seem a bit tired (though my guess is he will be hunted and have no choice but to fight back)

Last edited:

I liked the conspiracy elements but do wonder how they are going to step up for season 2, going back to standard mobsters does seem a bit tired (though my guess is he will be hunted and have no choice but to fight back)

I think it won't be that hard. The conspiracy was still bascially a criminal organization that just consisted of members of the intelligence and military arm of the US. It's not like it was actually somethnig that involved many higher ranking officials. To deal with Frank, they couldn't even fully rely on government resources, but had to use Anvil for the biggest operations, and they even needed to get their own hands dirty. The scope was not that grand.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases