Marathon, Broadway, and Catacomb: Upcoming D&D Products?

WotC has been using codenames for its upcoming products for some time, mainly to stop anybody figuring our what's in the pipeline. Those codenames end up as placeholders on bookstores and the like. Eagle-eyed reader Sean spotted some upcoming items on McNally Robinson, a Canadian bookstore's website.

WotC has been using codenames for its upcoming products for some time, mainly to stop anybody figuring our what's in the pipeline. Those codenames end up as placeholders on bookstores and the like. Eagle-eyed reader Sean spotted some upcoming items on McNally Robinson, a Canadian bookstore's website.

DD_Transparent.png

The items spotted were a 192-page hardcover accessory codenamed "Marathon" (May 2018); a 256-page hardcover adventure codenamed "Broadway" (September 2018), and another 256-page hardcover adventure codenamed "Catacomb" (November 2018). There's also a set of "Broadway" dice.

Past codenames have included "Labyrinth", which turned out to be Tomb of Annihilation, and "Dust", "Midway", "Cloak", and "Dagger".

Let the speculation begin!

D&D "Marathon" HC
By Rpg Team Wizards
ISBN: 9780786966240
format: Hardcover
series: D&D Accessory
pages: 192
publisher: Wizards of the Coast
pub. date: 2018-05-29

D&D "Broadway" Dice
By Rpg Team Wizards
ISBN: 9780786966288
format: Game
series: D&D Accessory
pages: n/a
pub. date: 2018-09-18

D&D "Broadway" HC
By Rpg Team Wizards
ISBN: 9780786966257
series: D&D Adventure
pages: 256
pub. date: 2018-09-18

D&D "Catacomb" HC
By Rpg Team Wizards
ISBN: 9780786966264
series: D&D Adventure
pages: 256
pub. date: 2018-11-20
[FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT]

One of the artists for ToA and Xanathar's posted on this thread over on Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/7q7d80/art_i_did_for_tomb_of_annihilation_and_xanathars/

"I just get codenames, so I dunno! One of them is definitely still Forgotten Realms, though, and the other has a bunch of monsters."

Make of that what you will - the former doesn't tell us anything unexpected, but the latter seems to me to indicate to me either another Volo's-type book, or perhaps a planar book that has a substantial bestiary...

Parmandur

Book-Friend
One of the artists for ToA and Xanathar's posted on this thread over on Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/7q7d80/art_i_did_for_tomb_of_annihilation_and_xanathars/

"I just get codenames, so I dunno! One of them is definitely still Forgotten Realms, though, and the other has a bunch of monsters."

Make of that what you will - the former doesn't tell us anything unexpected, but the latter seems to me to indicate to me either another Volo's-type book, or perhaps a planar book that has a substantial bestiary...
I reckon that means Broadway will be FR, or at least starting FR: Lantan?

And that makes it more likely that Marathon will be a monster book: it would explain why it doesn't seem to have been tested in UA, near as I can tell by dates. Monsters need fine tuning, but not broad strokes trial ballooning (no UA for Volo's material, either).

Still think Catacombs will be some sort of Planar/Multiversal setting explanation.

Sent from my [device_name] using EN World mobile app

GarrettKP

Explorer
I reckon that means Broadway will be FR, or at least starting FR: Lantan?

And that makes it more likely that Marathon will be a monster book: it would explain why it doesn't seem to have been tested in UA, near as I can tell by dates. Monsters need fine tuning, but not broad strokes trial ballooning (no UA for Volo's material, either).

Still think Catacombs will be some sort of Planar/Multiversal setting explanation.

This definitely sounds like Marathon will be "[Someones] Guide to the Multiverse" and will be just like Volo's. Chapter 1 will detail all the planes, Chapter 2 will detail Planar PC Races that were testing in the UA (Eladrin, Gith, Elf variants, Tiefling variants), and Chapter 3 will be a Planar bestiary. Calling it all now!

Parmandur

Book-Friend
This definitely sounds like Marathon will be "[Someones] Guide to the Multiverse" and will be just like Volo's. Chapter 1 will detail all the planes, Chapter 2 will detail Planar PC Races that were testing in the UA (Eladrin, Gith, Elf variants, Tiefling variants), and Chapter 3 will be a Planar bestiary. Calling it all now!
Thing is, those racial variants we're being tested when "Marathon" was nearly finished: I suspect they are for the fall project. But we'll broadly know in two weeks!

GarrettKP

Explorer
Thing is, those racial variants we're being tested when "Marathon" was nearly finished: I suspect they are for the fall project. But we'll broadly know in two weeks!

The last UA that made it into Xanathars was released in June (Revised Class Options). So between June and November, you are looking at 5 months difference. The last Racial UA was November of last year and Marathon comes out in May. That is 7 months difference, so not really that far fetched that they could be included in this book. Book layouts are not finalized until about 2 months in advance from what I understand.

gyor

Legend

The last UA that made it into Xanathars was released in June (Revised Class Options). So between June and November, you are looking at 5 months difference. The last Racial UA was November of last year and Marathon comes out in May. That is 7 months difference, so not really that far fetched that they could be included in this book. Book layouts are not finalized until about 2 months in advance from what I understand.

This makes a lot of sense.

Last edited by a moderator:

GarrettKP

Explorer
While I am at it I am also gonna go ahead and guess Broadway is a Waterdeep Intrigue adventure and Catacomb is Undermountain since both are Adventures and a Month apart.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
However, they also went on record that whatever "Marathon" was already in layout in November. So, doubtful anything from November's UA for testing was put in after layout. And given the blatantly thematic nature of that series of UA's, still think that is more likely for the November product (which I don't think for a second is an Adventure book).

Remove ads

Remove ads