Marathon, Broadway, and Catacomb: Upcoming D&D Products?

WotC has been using codenames for its upcoming products for some time, mainly to stop anybody figuring our what's in the pipeline. Those codenames end up as placeholders on bookstores and the like. Eagle-eyed reader Sean spotted some upcoming items on McNally Robinson, a Canadian bookstore's website.

WotC has been using codenames for its upcoming products for some time, mainly to stop anybody figuring our what's in the pipeline. Those codenames end up as placeholders on bookstores and the like. Eagle-eyed reader Sean spotted some upcoming items on McNally Robinson, a Canadian bookstore's website.

DD_Transparent.png

The items spotted were a 192-page hardcover accessory codenamed "Marathon" (May 2018); a 256-page hardcover adventure codenamed "Broadway" (September 2018), and another 256-page hardcover adventure codenamed "Catacomb" (November 2018). There's also a set of "Broadway" dice.

Past codenames have included "Labyrinth", which turned out to be Tomb of Annihilation, and "Dust", "Midway", "Cloak", and "Dagger".

Let the speculation begin!

D&D "Marathon" HC
By Rpg Team Wizards
ISBN: 9780786966240
format: Hardcover
series: D&D Accessory
pages: 192
publisher: Wizards of the Coast
pub. date: 2018-05-29

D&D "Broadway" Dice
By Rpg Team Wizards
ISBN: 9780786966288
format: Game
series: D&D Accessory
pages: n/a
pub. date: 2018-09-18

D&D "Broadway" HC
By Rpg Team Wizards
ISBN: 9780786966257
series: D&D Adventure
pages: 256
pub. date: 2018-09-18

D&D "Catacomb" HC
By Rpg Team Wizards
ISBN: 9780786966264
series: D&D Adventure
pages: 256
pub. date: 2018-11-20
[FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT]

Dried

Explorer
Two adventure products so close? It's strange to say the least...
But if it's true it must have a good reason. Maybe the two adventures are different adventures but can complete each others?

Maybe something like "The Gread Modron March" and "Dead Gods"?

Last edited by a moderator:

clavejones

First Post
Two adventure products so close? It's strange to say the least...
But if it's true it must have a good reason. Maybe the two adventures are different adventures but can complete each others?

Maybe something like "The Gread Modron March" and "Dead Gods"?

During their panel at Gamehole Con, both Mike Mearls and Chris Lindsay hinted at an adventure that worked independantly but also might span two books. They referenced Hoard and Tiamat as a template.

High page counts though, so a pretty robust adventure. You might be on to something with Modron March.

Quickleaf

Legend
I wonder if "Marathon" (192-page D&D Accessory coming out in May 2018) will be another adventure compilation like Tales From the Yawning Portal (248-pages, came out in April 2017, but NOT described as an adventure, like other hardcover modules released so far)... drawing inspiration from the Extra Life 24 Hours of D&D events?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
How do the page counts compare to previous products?
192 pages is comparable to SCAG and XGtE, 256 is comparable to the other APs, aside from Tyranny of Dragons.

Dunno how much stock to put in the designations at this point, but the release dates and page counts sound legit. They have said they are moving to one big Adventure product a year, though, and away from any level of interbook dependency...

clavejones

First Post
I wonder if "Marathon" (192-page D&D Accessory coming out in May 2018) will be another adventure compilation like Tales From the Yawning Portal (248-pages, came out in April 2017, but NOT described as an adventure, like other hardcover modules released so far)... drawing inspiration from the Extra Life 24 Hours of D&D events?

I think you are on to something. Development time on something like Yawning is less and D&D always has a nostalgic thread. So it would be leaving money on the table not to do another book like that at some point.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
If there’s one thing I learned from my days as an MTG player, it’s that WotC’s code names for upcoming products cannot be relied upon to hintvat the contents of the actual product.

Juomari Veren

Adventurer
I'm fairly certain Labyrinth turned into Tales from the Yawning Portal actually, and Dust was Tomb of Annihilation (Because dust is what a sphere of annihilation turns you into). Midway was most definitely Xanathar's Guide (a lot of the surveys from the UAs leading up to it were titled MidwaysurveyX on release in the url and then quickly changed after a day, like this happened multiple times), but I've no idea what Cloak and Dagger are or were - where did those ones come from? They may be new ones as well.

As for the names given here, I'm excited for Broadway - I hope it's devil-themed. Devils and the stage go so well together (As Pathfinder discovered with Chelaxian Operas). I'd love a melodramatic adventure with fiends that plays out like an opera. There's also been an excessive amount of references to fiends across all of the adventures (and in places like Dice, Camera, Action!) that are supposedly culminating in something story-related. I'm also expecting a Planescape supplement soon - maybe Marathon. The codenames usually lend a vague idea of what the book is about to players, and at 192 players it probably isn't a full adventure, which usually strike out past the 250 page mark.

Catacombs kind of worries me because we just had two adventures that were dungeon-centric, and one that was very heavily themed around death and undeath. I personally don't mind it, but I don't want the market to be saturated with adventures of people going into dungeons and fighting undead at the same time. Someone mentioned Undermountain - a couple years ago they had a special adventure at Origins that was an Adventurer's League exclusive - people said it was an adventure into Undermountain to resurrect Halaster Blackcloak. I've been longing to hear what came of that adventure, as Undermountain is one of my favorite aspects of the Forgotten Realms. I wqould pay good money for anything Undermountain related, though I'll pay good money for anything 5e because I've got a solid track record of collecting every book so far.

vpuigdoller

Adventurer
I would love if Catacomb was related to Thay and the Red Wizards we have seen some of them lately, even in the shores of Chult. I believe Mearls had said he wanted to revisit Thay at some time?

broadway might be some city centric adventre?

Remove ads

Remove ads